1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MERCEDES-BENZ CONSIDERS MAYBACH SUV
By Justin King
Thursday, Jan 15th, 2015

Mercedes-Benz is currently considering additional Maybach-badged models, following the introduction of the Mercedes-Maybach S600.

An SUV is viewed as a likely sibling to the long-wheelbase S600, which is primarily aimed at customers in Asian markets. The Mercedes-Benz GLS is rumored to be the top contender for Maybach upgrades.

CONTINUE AT LEFTLANENEWS.COM

Reactions: cad1cts

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Here's what we'd say if the headline read "GM Considers Cadillac SUV":

Gawd GM is SOOOO stupid!

They should have one yesterday!

I can't believe how inept they are!

Stop "Considering" and start building!

No wonder they're failing!

Reactions: mchicha and cad1cts

·
Registered
536 Posts
The new s-class was designed with a maybach in mind, I am not sure the GLS was. I suppose since Bentley is getting their SUV though, MB/Maybach needs one as well.

With either, I think the Range Rover will still have them beat

·
Registered
5,366 Posts

Gawd GM is SOOOO stupid!

Cadillac already has an SUV. So, if the headline read "GM considers Cadillac SUV" it wouldn't make much sense.

Just sayin'.:p:

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Cadillac already has an SUV. So, if the headline read "GM considers Cadillac SUV" it wouldn't make much sense.

Just sayin'.:p:
I know. Just makin' a point.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Doesn't Daimler think it remotely prudent to even see if this maybach go-round even takes before adding more 'badged models??
Where is the 'clean sheet' for the G; now 36 years old and horrifically ancient?

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
"Buyers rightly have high expectations of a Maybach, and we must be sure to always deliver on them," Hulder added.
Considering how hideous the S600 Maybach is, my expectations are pretty low.

The only other Maybach that makes even a little bit of sense besides S and GLS is the G. Anything else is a prostitution.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
The new s-class was designed with a maybach in mind, I am not sure the GLS was. I suppose since Bentley is getting their SUV though, MB/Maybach needs one as well.

Don't forget development of the next GLS is well underway. You wouldn't see a Maybach variant based on this talk until ~2017/2018.

Doesn't Daimler think it remotely prudent to even see if this maybach go-round even takes before adding more 'badged models??
Where is the 'clean sheet' for the G; now 36 years old and horrifically ancient?
They have time, they're not talking about rolling it out next year. As I said above, this is going to pertain to the next-gen model that's currently in development.

As far as the G-class is concerned, they've leaked some planned changes. It's due in 2017. Key changes:

-widened by about 100 mm to 1860 mm; it will still be slim compared to say, a Range Rover
-Roof line will drop just a bit for drag/safety
-Looks will stay almost completely the same
-Modern Mercedes technology
-Independent front suspension; 3 locking diffs will remain

Considering how hideous the S600 Maybach is, my expectations are pretty low.

The only other Maybach that makes even a little bit of sense besides S and GLS is the G. Anything else is a prostitution.
I love the Mercedes-Maybach S600. The Pullman is the only ugly variant in my mind. Pic I saw after browsing another forum:

·
Registered
11,998 Posts
While I like the idea, the Maybach GLS will need rather unique styling to be stately enough at this price range. This is not something they did for the Maybach S600 so I doubt they will. So overall I am thinking of a unique exterior, Maybach S600-grade interior, and four or five passenger layout with larger bucket style seats instead of a bench (and no third row as that's irrelevant for this type of car), and the 6.0L V-12. Again, I don't think that MB is going in that direction with such extensive changes but I'd love to be surprised on this one. Mercedes is one of the few companies that could actually pull something like this off, but we'll see how good Bentley's vehicle is as it looks like it'll be the first mega-SUV to get to showrooms.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
• The maybach is, again, very dated looking. Still finding the descending body line dis-harmonious.
• The chromed B-pillar (against the blacked out C-pillar) looks like a Pep Boys add-on. Either one or the other- just be consistent!
• It's STILL got a stand-up hood ornament! Retro-tastic! :blorf:
• For your consideration; the Pontiac Turbine wheel, 1980 :

• Upholstery patterning is indeed echoing tacky 1970s van interiors. Having upholstery on the dash isn't helping that image.

- - -
This is supposed to represent the very best mercedes has to offer, but at least from the exterior, it's the same car as the all-too-common S-class: a disappointing mix of the generic and the boring. Mercedes needed to make this 100% crushingly impactful in light of the failure of Maybach as a brand 2 years ago. It isn't.

·
Registered
866 Posts

Gawd GM is SOOOO stupid!

The reason why you hear these comments when it comes to Cadillac is because the comments usually come in reference to something that Cadillac should offer already i.e. 3 row CUV, flagship sedan, flagship coupe, compact CUV and so on. These are segments that should be a given if GM wants Cadillac to be taken seriously as a brand. Look at Acura, we s#!t on them all the time because most of their lineup could be traced back to the Accord and Civic but they managed to put together a Mid Engined "exotic". Why is Cadillac only considering it. These should be a go already and already in the product pipeline, but all we get is that they're considering.

Hell, an Escalade V should be a given...but it isn't even being considered.

·
Registered
44,415 Posts

JLR was incredibly prescient when they decided to move Range Rover into even higher tiers of luxury.
Range Rover LWB Atobiography Black starts at $185,000. They only make 100 of them because they're fully bespoke.

Bentley showed their hands, and then they pulled a GM and took too long to get to market, allowing JLR to steal much of their thunder.
As such, Range Rover remains the one to beat!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.