GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
USA: Customers crown Chrysler 300C with vinyl roofs as dealers ignore maker's objections
21 Jun 2004
Source: just-auto.com editorial team

Some buyers are asking dealers to install 1970s-style vinyl roofs on their new Chrysler 300s, as many owners of Cadillacs and Lincolns have long done and still do today, the Detroit News reported.

The paper said Chrysler executives are wincing at the sight as they believe their elegant new sedans have fallen prey to lowbrow consumer tastes.

Chrysler officials reportedly are quietly asking dealers to stop having the faux-convertible tops installed, but dealers say the response from customers has been too strong to quit now.

Full Article Here:

just-auto.com

Ken

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Vinyl roofs are like stupid cameras on wheels.
They just don't make sense. It makes the car look older than it is. Everytime I see a Toyota Camry with a vinyl roof, I see an older-person inside of it. Cadillac Deville's and Lincoln Town Car's with the vinyl roofs also have older people in it. Not many like it, because it just doesn't make sense. It is more of a style (a style that not much people like) than as something useful.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
GAG!

No, seriously. The auto-makers really need to get control of this problem.

They can't stomp it out. People really do like these abominations. What they need to do is come up with at least reasonably well-done top kits that save the cars from that made-by-loving-hands-at-home look that so many fake convertible tops have. A slightly better job wouldn't be that hard to do.

Then tell the dealers that's the only kind they can install. Don't use the factory name - come up with a suitable fake. Meet the market's demand, while saving the company's reputation from the hit it takes everytime one of these bad faux tops hits the road. It's a win-win situation. And the margins on this kind of cr*p are excellent, so everyone can make money and be happy.

Just get the amateurs out of the business.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I think that if the customers want it, they will do it one way or another. it's THEIR money.
Personally I find gold kits and pearl paint equally pathetic...

I would really like in the future to get a used eldo, but they're hard to find without those hideous faux convertible or vinyl tops...

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
think the 300c would look good with a vinyl top, i think it adds elegance to SOME cars, and probably hurts the looks of others.. heres a few good example of a vinyl top use.

now here's a few bad examples..

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
think the 300c would look good with a vinyl top, i think it adds elegance to SOME cars, and probably hurts the looks of others.. heres a few good example of a vinyl top use.
What R U 60yrs old or insane?, Or R U an insane 60yr old. There is nothing, NOTHING elegant or sexy about the horrific vinyl tops gluded 2 the tops of any kind of car. They ruin the good looks of a lot of cars that the R supposed 2 "enhance".
I saw these eye sores on Impala SSeses as well as the 300C's and (GASPS!!) A 99 Ram Air T/A with those hideous gold spoke rims and ubber fat white wall tires(MY EYES!! MY EYES!!) (WTF?) :blink:. Those tops just look plain bad...terrible even. There shoud B some kind of law passed banning the damned tops. I'm surprised I haven't seen them of any 'Slades or Navi's or H2's yet.....then again bad taste runs amuck in our society so I'm sure someone somewhere out there has defiled a truck with such nonsense....Imagine a Suburban Z71 with one of those toupee's glued on it..........

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
The only one that looks just OK from above is the Lincoln's. It's the same color, it doesn't have any wacky curves at the edges (like the toyoduh) & the top's finish is not so radically contrasting to the paint finish. The appearance of textured, matte fabric and high-gloss paint together on a car makes my skin crawl. I don't even like real convertible tops. All the rest are awful.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.