GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The CTS-V was originally announced by GM as to have a "manual" or "automatic-manual" transmission choice. Per the CARandDriver website, the manual is available first with the automatic to follow in the 2004 model year. Has anyone heard when in 2004 ???? Thanks, dtn...........

·
Registered
75 Posts
Originally posted by dtn@Nov 13 2003, 07:21 AM
The CTS-V was originally announced by GM as to have a "manual" or "automatic-manual" transmission choice. Per  the CARandDriver website, the manual is available first with the automatic to follow in the 2004 model year. Has anyone heard when in 2004 ????    Thanks,    dtn...........
I would be surprised if any such thing were released in the 2004 model year.

I don't recall any "manumatic" announcement from GM, only press speculation, but there may well be something I haven't seen.

I suspect there's a lot of grousing among the Cadillac dealer community about the stick-only CTS-V - not because the car won't sell, but because your average Cadillac salesman probably can't drive one.

The cheap, quick fix - stick in a 4L60. Four gears, pretty rude by the standards of the class, if they geared it to preserve low-speed acceleration they'd lose top speed. But cheap and easy.

The quick, expensive fix - go out and buy 6-speed ZF 6HP26 automatic transmissions like BMW (545i, 745i, 760i) and Jaguar (all the V8 cars) etc. Likely prohibitively expensive by GM standards.

The right fix, but when? - Tremec has developed a sequential-clutchless-shift T56 for Ford, it's in the new 'cheap' Aston Martin and is also supposed to be going in the 2006 Cobra. I have no idea whether Ford has an exclusive on this, but it's the logical choice for the CTS-V at some point. Transmissions like this take quite a bit of vehicle-integration work, so if GM expected to get it out by 2005 they'd better have been working on it for quite a while.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I heard somewhere that Corvette might be getting a manumatic on the C6. It could be possible that the CTS-V could get this tranny.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My best guess is that the manumatic will not be in the '05 C6.

It might be along in another year or so as the new transmissions are started to be built.

The 4L70E is my guess for the C6 to start.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by JEM+Nov 15 2003, 05:44 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JEM @ Nov 15 2003, 05:44 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-dtn@Nov 13 2003, 07:21 AM
The CTS-V was originally announced by GM as to have a "manual" or "automatic-manual" transmission choice. Per  the CARandDriver website, the manual is available first with the automatic to follow in the 2004 model year. Has anyone heard when in 2004 ????     Thanks,     dtn...........

I don't recall any "manumatic" announcement from GM, only press speculation, but there may well be something I haven't seen.

I suspect there's a lot of grousing among the Cadillac dealer community about the stick-only CTS-V - not because the car won't sell, but because your average Cadillac salesman probably can't drive one.

The cheap, quick fix - stick in a 4L60. Four gears, pretty rude by the standards of the class, if they geared it to preserve low-speed acceleration they'd lose top speed. But cheap and easy.

The quick, expensive fix - go out and buy 6-speed ZF 6HP26 automatic transmissions like BMW (545i, 745i, 760i) and Jaguar (all the V8 cars) etc. Likely prohibitively expensive by GM standards.

The right fix, but when? - Tremec has developed a sequential-clutchless-shift T56 for Ford, it's in the new 'cheap' Aston Martin and is also supposed to be going in the 2006 Cobra. I have no idea whether Ford has an exclusive on this, but it's the logical choice for the CTS-V at some point. Transmissions like this take quite a bit of vehicle-integration work, so if GM expected to get it out by 2005 they'd better have been working on it for quite a while. [/b][/quote]
would be nice.... but... the 4l60e wont hold the 400ft lbs(listed). A 4L80e yeah... but i wouldnt tempt fate with the 4l60e.

And isnt the C6 getting the 5spd auto from the XLR? It would bring the vette into the new age.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28+Nov 19 2003, 11:53 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigals87z28 @ Nov 19 2003, 11:53 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 15 2003, 05:44 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-dtn
@Nov 13 2003, 07:21 AM
The CTS-V was originally announced by GM as to have a "manual" or "automatic-manual" transmission choice. Per  the CARandDriver website, the manual is available first with the automatic to follow in the 2004 model year. Has anyone heard when in 2004 ????     Thanks,     dtn...........

The right fix, but when? - Tremec has developed a sequential-clutchless-shift T56 for Ford, it's in the new 'cheap' Aston Martin and is also supposed to be going in the 2006 Cobra. I have no idea whether Ford has an exclusive on this, but it's the logical choice for the CTS-V at some point. Transmissions like this take quite a bit of vehicle-integration work, so if GM expected to get it out by 2005 they'd better have been working on it for quite a while.
would be nice.... but... the 4l60e wont hold the 400ft lbs(listed). A 4L80e yeah... but i wouldnt tempt fate with the 4l60e.

And isnt the C6 getting the 5spd auto from the XLR? It would bring the vette into the new age. [/b][/quote]
I dont think that transmission cant handle the torque of the vette.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Gm does not have an automatic that can hold up to 400 horses and 4000 lbs. The 4L60 and it variants are too weak as shown by the massive amount of performance rebuilds that have taken place on this trans. The 4L80 will work but its god awful heavy. They probably didnt want to have trans issues with the V so thry went for the manual.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts