GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A change in perception is what the Cadillac brand wants and needs... however, based on the car presented to Car and Driver for their March 2004 comparison test of the CTS-V against the M3 and M5... GM drops the ball once again. How the heck does someone let this happen? The car had a flat tire, a supposed faulty oil temp sensor (which some how manged to burn through a full quart of mobile 1 synthetic after only 2 laps on the track, severe axle hop, and a shifter described as too stiff. Gentlemen, I want this car and I will buy this car, but GM should be ashamed of themselves. Public perception is what builds a brand. The miserable dealership experience and articles like this one will do nothing to build this brand. Heads should roll at Cadillac because of this. What were the Cadillac guys doing instead of going over this car with a fine tooth comb? What the hell could have possibly been more important than either fixing or changing the oil sensor? Inspite of having puny looking 245 width tires, how does this car have a rear suspension set-up that the magazine predicts will destroy differentials? Didn't anyone at Cadillac think it was important enough to make sure the car didn't have GLARING FLAWS?!?!? The testers liked the car inspite of it's problems, but left the reader with the following, as I will you: The objective test results suggest that Cadillac didn't hit it's development targets quite as squarely as hoped.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
:blink: and U take C&D's word 4 truth, bet if the Beemers had the same problems (if these were true, was this a pre production car perhaps??) U would have heard nothing about it. Or they would have played it down. Get out here and try 1 out 4urself and stop reading what a bunch of old men who just don't get it anymore have 2 say.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I said, I will own a CTS-V because of my GM loyalties... my issue is with the people running the show at Cadillac. I am extremely disappointed with how they handled themselves... Lutz specifically promised that these types of things would not happen. That the GM faithful would be proud of their cars because Cadillac would once again be the standard of the world... Cadillac needs sales. Specifically sales in new markets to young car guys like me. Guys who read car magazines and who get pissed off when someone bashes the new car they have set their hearts on. This article is a let down because the car is better than that. Had someone taken their head out their a** long enough to give this car A TWICE OVER articles like this would not get printed. It's the same GM rhetoric all over again. The guys who don't get it are the people who handed this car over to C&D with all these peoblems...

·
Registered
56 Posts
:argue: Geek101 is absoulutely right. Whoever the idiot was that released that car to C&D should be fired. You can b*tch all you want about various magazines but they're here to stay.. GM has to have it's head screwed on and use them to it's advantage instead of carlessly alowing itself to become a whipping boy. Seems like another example of somebody getting by rather than agressively helping GM.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
That's so sad and embarrassing. The CTS-V has gotten near-worshipful press so far. And to screw up like that.

I had hoped, based on early press, that it might actually have a shot against the M brothers.

I'm bummed. I'm not looking forward to C&D's arrival this month.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Bah!, that's nonsense...I agree with me and damn Car and Drivel 2 all hell!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Casket is right on this. Car and Driver is about as good at reviewing cars as a 30 year old blind monkey. I'm pretty sure they don't drive the cars, they just look at the badge on the front and then pull out stock articles they write ahead of time. On occasion I will go test drive a car to evaluate if I see the same things they do, GM or Toyota, or whatever brand. Usually, there is very little relation to the actual car and the fiction C&D writes down.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Car and Driver is confusing. When it comes to a good GM car, they endo up praising it overall. But when you read the article, they exhadurate flaws and make the vehicle seem like crap. They aren't too fond of GM, but I think they are coming around, especially to Cadillac. But definitely don't believe everything they say.

·
Registered
922 Posts
It was probably a pre- production car, which isnt an excuse for delivering a car with a flat tire, if that is indeed what happened. Sounds like the Leaseway guy who delivered the car beat the [email protected]%# out if it before he dropped it off.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
The car was an early pilot car, the oli temp indicator was a software flaw, not an actuall mechanical flaw, and it's already been fixed in the "ready to sell cars"

The tire had a hole in it, it probably did not have a hole when it left GM, I did not see that the BMW's were riding on tank treads, so any car can have a leak in the tire.

And inspite of the so called "flaws", they still liked the car.

There were actually a few good reviews in C&D this month.

The Cadillac SRX was voted best luxury SUV in their 5 best trucks

and the long-term 40,000 mile test of a Saturn ION had some good things to say too.

The CTS-V was probably a well whipped validation car!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I JUST GOT MY SILVER V SERIES TODAY, AND HONESTLY THE CAR IS PERFECT, AND ITS FAST AS BALLS AND IT DOENST STOP PULLING. EVERYTHING FEELS RIGHT. TURST ME.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Originally posted by casket_demon@Feb 3 2004, 05:18 PM
:blink: and U take C&D's word 4 truth, bet if the Beemers had the same problems (if these were true, was this a pre production car perhaps??) U would have heard nothing about it. Or they would have played it down. Get out here and try 1 out 4urself and stop reading what a bunch of old men who just don't get it anymore have 2 say.
OMG I agree....LOL :lol:

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
I saw the CTS-V at the Chicago show. Two comments: the fancy Bentley style grill is way too shiny. Looks like a Kustom Kar add-on. If I bought one, I'd swap out the grill for the standard item. Stealth car, you know.

Second: the big wheels and the HUGE brakes make this the most purposeful looking thing I've ever seen on four wheels. I'm close to being in love, Car and Driver be damned.

(When you read the article, they do seems to like the car a great deal. "It isn't as refined, or sophisticated, snort, snort, harrumph, harrumph - American iron, don't you know - but pretty darned good anyway. Besides, if we give 'em too much credit, our European friends will look down at us as a bunch of rubes from the colonies.")

·
Registered
66 Posts
Originally posted by GEEK101@Feb 3 2004, 05:30 PM
As I said, I will own a CTS-V because of my GM loyalties... my issue is with the people running the show at Cadillac. I am extremely disappointed with how they handled themselves... Lutz specifically promised that these types of things would not happen. That the GM faithful would be proud of their cars because Cadillac would once again be the standard of the world... Cadillac needs sales. Specifically sales in new markets to young car guys like me. Guys who read car magazines and who get pissed off when someone bashes the new car they have set their hearts on. This article is a let down because the car is better than that. Had someone taken their head out their a** long enough to give this car A TWICE OVER articles like this would not get printed. It's the same GM rhetoric all over again. The guys who don't get it are the people who handed this car over to C&D with all these peoblems...
The slow tire leak may have been hard to spot but to deliver with faulty sensors is without excuse.

This review does not affect my buying decision and prefer the V or an M car any day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
OMIGOD- the car got a flat tire? Clearly GM can't run with the big boys.

Next thing you know they'll be dissing it because you have to put gasoline in it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Originally posted by SLAP@Feb 10 2004, 02:27 AM
I JUST GOT MY SILVER V SERIES TODAY, AND HONESTLY THE CAR IS PERFECT, AND ITS FAST AS BALLS AND IT DOENST STOP PULLING. EVERYTHING FEELS RIGHT. TURST ME.
Congratulations and post some pics when you can. You don't see that many CTS pics in the garage and your car would make a great addition.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
The Car and Driver article was very favorable to the CTS-V, in spite of the problems they had with their test car. At the end of the article they say that yes, the M5 is a bit better, but it is definitely NOT $23,000 better, and that's the game for me. I never look at cars in a cost-is-no-object manner.

I would consider the M5 more of a direct competitor for the CTS-V than the M3, given the size and accomodations.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'll make this as short as possible while trying to convey what the CTS-V is like. FYI, I had a 97' Z with a warmed over LT1 and 4.11's so I have some understanding of what a modern V8 can do and won't easily be romanced by just a powerful V8.

First the car appears larger in person and much more menacing with the 18" wheels and front grill treatment. The xenons with projectors are very, very bright. The dual exhaust is hidden but nicely done. Under the hood the LS6 is covered so the uninitiated could easily mistake this for just another V-6 CTS, in fact the grill, wheels and "V" badges are the only thing that give it away.

After logging 500 miles on the highway from Cleveland to Maryland I pulled into a gas station to top off, check the fluids and gather myself for my first full throttle run. There are 3 settings for the traction/stability control. All "ON" (stability and traction at all speeds) All "OFF" (absolutely no help from any damned onboard computers) and finally Competitive Driving Mode. In all ON mode the CTS-V will spin the rears momentarily but then the timing is dialed backed and brakes are applied putting an abrupt end to the fun. All "OFF" mode is a handfull to say the least. Launching is frought with wheel hop and a wagging tail that makes the 1, 2 shift a balls out adventure. If you are not pointed straight you WILL see yer' a** in short order. The competitive mode is by far the best. It allows wheel spin at take off for great launches but steps in through the twisties when and if it's needed.

Brutal and I do mean brutal acceleration is one down shift away at any speed. I tried several downshifts during my over 700 miles so far and my favorite is the highway merge maneuver shifting into 3rd at say 45-50 mph and then stomp it. Pulls like a bull to nearly 100 mph. You could shift into 2nd but with 395 ft/lbs of torque why bother?

I spent nearly an hour at the dealership, DeLorean of Lakewood, Ohio. Spent 5 minutes on the paper work and 55 minutes learning about all the options. I won't go into everything but once you learn it (and I have so anyone can) it's a breeze. Toggle using hot keys from Navigation to CD to Radio to XM is all just buttons away. Easy to use and can be personalized on almost every screen.

This is easily the finest automobile for the money period!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts