GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an email from Jay Alvarez (Lund Cadillac) about their CTS qualifying at the Bonneville Salt Flats:

Here’s some of the video the GM guys shot of the CTS qualifying at the Bonneville Salt Flats on the short course. Click on the picture on the left to see the video of the car qualifying and click on the picture on the right to see the in-car camera video of the same run. We’ll have that little 6 cylinder at 200++ mph by the next races.We ran 197.50mph at half throttle!!

Jay Alvarez

Link to CTS video

·
Registered
89 Posts
Didn't think this little event was going to get any converage here on GMI! I was lucky enough to be there when they ran this CTS, on the 18th and 19th of last month, it was simply amazing. Got a few pictures from the trip that you all might enjoy:

Engine Pic

This is just a shot of the engine, it's the original 220 horse V6 with a turbocharger the size of your head. Boosted it to around 650hp at 14psi... could've gone to around 1000hp at 32psi, but they didn't want to stress it.

On a Run

This is the CTS (the ninth one ever made, mind you!) on one of its runs. I don't know which one this is, it may be the same one as in the video. If you look closely you can see the exhaust outlet just in front of the front passenger wheel. The force of the wind pushed the fascia back INTO the hot exhaust pipe on the first run and the announcers scared us all to death saying there was smoke coming from the car! It was only the front bumper melting! :eek:

Cadillac Power!

The guy behind the CTS was the driver, John Raines, who is a LEGEND out at Bonneville. The other car was this amazing machine that was powered by two GIGANTIC El Dorado engines from the mid-70's. Made a roar like you wouldn't beleive. :lol:

If you look carefully in the in-car video, near the end when he moves his right hand up to the lever on the ceiling, the car was going all over the course and he was about to pull the parachute! He didn't though, until the final run. I also make a very long distance and brief appearence in the 1st video, you can see some shimmering in the dust-wake of the CTS, that's the Rented Suburban with me behind the wheel. Quite a thrill to have a car blow past you doing twice your speed! We hold the class record now, and hopefully I can be there next season when they cross the 200 mph barrier!! :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts