GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
7,170 Posts
Re: Bah, CTS gets a poor review.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But "outdated?" I'd think that the last thing anyone would use to describe a CTS.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts

I wouldn't call that a poor review...poor reviewer, yes. :rolleyes: What a craptastic article from a numb-nut that wouldn't know automotive journalism if it came up and bit him in the ass.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts

how long has Caddy had that art and science garbage? Its old styling guys.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts

He lists "buyer misconceptions" under his weak point column. What is that supposed mean?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I became more than a little confused by his analogies. I understand the running theme of comparing the car to hockey players as the stylistic basis of the article, but -- and maybe this is my fault for not being a hockey buff myself -- I don't really get it. It feels forced, and it distracts from the intent of the article.

I'm not going to criticize the author for his opinions. I don't think the base-engined CTS is going to drop anyone's jaw, really, and to be fair, the edgy, angular styling of the current lineup of Cadillacs has been around for a few years, so it's probably not as eye-popping as it once was. Don't get me wrong, I still like it. I happen to think the CTS is one of the best-looking cars on the market right now, but to play devil's advocate, I understand what he means about the "look" being dated. People, especially a lot of the kinds of folks that purchase things like sport sedans, are always looking to be on the cutting edge of style.

My biggest beef with the article is just that it's poorly written, with drawn-out analogies that make me think that the author desperately wants to be writing for Sports Illustrated, several unclear points (the "buyer misconception" bullet under the list of cons wasn't really addressed in the article at all), and an overall lack of professional style. It's a shame that all that detracts from what would otherwise be an interesting take on the base-model CTS.

·
Registered
104 Posts

I wouldn't call that a poor review...poor reviewer, yes. :rolleyes: What a craptastic article from a numb-nut that wouldn't know automotive journalism if it came up and bit him in the ass.
I couldn't agree more just reading this made you feel that he is suffering from "little man's" disease and trying to over-compensate for his lack of sense, by using references that make him feel just a little special..... the problem is he is viewed a different kinda special.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
OK, Having owned one of these and been over it with a fine tooth comb, while the writer is maybe, possibly, technically right about the Art and Science styling being around for a while, since '03 or so, There is nothing even remotely "dated" about the sheetmetal. Look at the picture above of the crystal red metallic (my color), yes, it has the sharp lines, which I love!, but it also has smooth flowing shapes as well. The wheels look like they are stretching the fenders and are goint to pop out. How this guy lists this as "dated" I don't know. I guess he thinks Audi is dated as it's had it's jelly-bean styling for years, or Mercedes styling is dated because they have used the radiator grill forever. This is just one more example of some anti-american reviewer trying to fit in with the sheep. Personally, I loved mine, and got many, many double-takes when driving by people. The only reason I got rid of it is because I had the opportunity to get a 'Vette, something I've wanted all my life. This guy is way off base! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
508 Posts
Does he know that the M5 has much less torgue than HP?????

Also I bought a 08 CTS over the goofy 5 series and don't at all regret it...

·
Registered
2,245 Posts

how long has Caddy had that art and science garbage? Its old styling guys.
How long have BMWs looked pretty much the same?
How long have we had to look at essentially the same Porsche 911?

I think it's good for an automobile company to have a "look". It's a lot better than crazily jumping around from one design theme to the next and never developing an identity. The new CTS is a great evolution of what they started a few years ago.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,108 Posts

How long have BMWs looked pretty much the same?
How long have we had to look at essentially the same Porsche 911?

I think it's good for an automobile company to have a "look". It's a lot better than crazily jumping around from one design theme to the next and never developing an identity. The new CTS is a great evolution of what they started a few years ago.
That's what I was going to say... they're not doing anything the Germans don't do.
Of course, what BMW is evolving was ugly to begin with. Before Bangle they were quite handsome, especially the old 6er.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
"Badly outdated" - what a putz! This comment and the hockey analogies made for one painful read. The quality of writing reminds me of the local high school newspaper.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts

That's what I was going to say... they're not doing anything the Germans don't do.
Of course, what BMW is evolving was ugly to begin with. Before Bangle they were quite handsome, especially the old 6er.
I totally agree - I really liked the look of the pre-bangle 7-Series.

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
Well I have to disagree.

"Good enough" in my opinion is more akin to acquiring someone the calibre of Neumiller, but landing a Cedotal instead.

Sure the 535ix is a fine automobile, but it doesn't outclass the CTS in the same way, say, as easily as an Fairchild outclasses a Gautreaux.

In fact, I give Cadillac due credit. With the CTS it was obvious they were only aiming as high as maybe a Hanley or maybe a Schubert, but instead lucked up and got a Ditcharo!

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
Sure the 535ix is a fine automobile, but it doesn't outclass the CTS in the same way, say, as easily as an Fairchild outclasses a Gautreaux.
That is exactly what I was thinking.

OK, maybe I was thinking something closer to Roy Clark is a fine musician, but he does not outclass Bill Monroe. But the point is the same.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Good enough? Give me a break. This car is world class. Fortunately, most others do not share his opinion.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts