GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

cadillac ct4v blackwing

Perhaps you're thinking that the 472-hp Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing is a mere sidekick to the 668-hp CT5-V Blackwing. This notion, while seemingly logical, is quite wrong. Even those staffers who prefer the larger Blackwing admit that the smaller Blackwing is a spectacular car in its own right. Now, staff opinion is not unanimous on the subject, but by the end of 10Best testing, the true believers stood up to proffer that the CT4-V Blackwing is the better sports sedan of the two.

cadillac ct5v blackwing

As far as we know, Vegas oddsmakers don't take wagers on the winners of our 10Best list. But if they did, the Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing likely would have been an odds-on favorite. Its stats are certainly impressive. All right, they're staggering: a supercharged 6.2-liter V-8 making 668 horsepower and 659 pound-feet of torque and burdened with just over two tons of curb weight, a standard six-speed manual transmission, and the purity of rear-wheel drive.

chevrolet corvette

We love performance. But we also love saving money. That's why the Chevrolet Corvette's appeal, its superpower, and the quality that sets it apart from the hundreds of other cars, trucks, and SUVs on the market today that didn't get the votes, is one we hold dear: It's the best performance bargain. But should you be thinking that the Corvette is more about the deal than the business of going fast, it is flat-out quicker around a challenging track than anything else on the list, even the lighter and purer-driving Porsche Boxster and Cayman.

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
When you see a C8, like in that pic above, and then look at the price, it is pretty astounding.

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
Even more astounding is people still buy mid-engine Euro's for 4x the price or more.

I suppose it's one of those passion things that can't be thought of in rational terms. Same reason I bought a 30-year old Pontiac 4 years ago when I could have bought a much faster, newer car for similar money.

People buy mechanical Rolex watches for tens of thousands that can't touch the $575 Citizen I wear for accuracy (sets itself by the atomic clock nightly, can't beat it for accuracy). Or for that matter a Timex or Armitron quartz watch will be way more accurate. Rolexes are bought as status symbols, appreciation of craftsmanship, investment. I bought my Citizen because I think it's pretty cool how it sets itself and is powered by solar. Totally maintenance free. Not that changing a batter every 5-8 years and setting the various Timex watches I have is a big hassle.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
A great feather in GM's engineering cap...I just hope they don't throw in the towel on performance, being two of those 3 are essentially on death row with their cousin the Camaro.

Reactions: gkr778 and eklauss

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
I suppose it's one of those passion things that can't be thought of in rational terms. Same reason I bought a 30-year old Pontiac 4 years ago when I could have bought a much faster, newer car for similar money.

People buy mechanical Rolex watches for tens of thousands that can't touch the $575 Citizen I wear for accuracy (sets itself by the atomic clock nightly, can't beat it for accuracy). Or for that matter a Timex or Armitron quartz watch will be way more accurate. Rolexes are bought as status symbols, appreciation of craftsmanship, investment. I bought my Citizen because I think it's pretty cool how it sets itself and is powered by solar. Totally maintenance free. Not that changing a batter every 5-8 years and setting the various Timex watches I have is a big hassle.
Agreed, it's the nature of luxury. Same reason people will pay 4x the amount for vehicle #1 off the assembly. Even though it is identical to #85,516 and possibly even worse because the first off the assembly line might have more teething issues.

If you grew up lusting for a Ferrari then a Corvette won't do. But at the same time, everyone has a logical part to their brain and has got to be looking at a $75k Vette vs. their $300k Ferrari and asking themselves "what is my problem"? :D

Nor am I immune to those same passions :D

·
Registered
Current ride: 2015 Sonic sedan 1.8L/5sp
2,392 Posts

Absolutely right, same reason I lust for a stick shift CT4 BW! $60K with zero options, let’s see I’ve got $2K on my GM Card, maybe in a few years… :):):)

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Absolutely right, same reason I lust for a stick shift CT4 BW! $60K with zero options, let’s see I’ve got $2K on my GM Card, maybe in a few years… :):):)
I share your EXACT passion, but not until the market normalizes.

You only live ONCE!!

Car Vehicle Grille Tire Hood

·
Registered
Current ride: 2015 Sonic sedan 1.8L/5sp
2,392 Posts
I share your EXACT passion, but not until the market normalizes.

You only live ONCE!!

View attachment 64884
I happen to be at my local Chevy/Caddy dealer today for inspection and oil change. They have a couple of CT4s, but no BWs too bad. I’d be fine with a base CT4 as a daily, they had one in stock, very nice car. But of course I really want the BW.

They do have a 2004 Vette Z06 in the showroom…395 miles! 395!

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
4,104 Posts

·
Registered
7,251 Posts

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
Stop thinking and do it!!!!!! :D
Too many doors.

If I buy something, it would likely be a C7 to replace my Trans Am. But I'd have trouble parting with that too. My real need is a bigger garage.

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
Too many doors.

If I buy something, it would likely be a C7 to replace my Trans Am. But I'd have trouble parting with that too. My real need is a bigger garage.
Leading up to a new car purchase I feel like I'm going to have trouble parting and feel like I'm abandoning my best friend as I park it in the dealers lot for my last time. Then I get the keys to my new car and it all goes away.

Get one of those car tents!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
When you see a C8, like in that pic above, and then look at the price, it is pretty astounding.
Until you read "Market Adjustment"!

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
Until you read "Market Adjustment"!

First time I considered buying a Trans Am was in 1987. I was getting close to making enough money to afford one. But the Pontiac dealer in Fairfax, VA, was adding a couple of thousand to the sticker as a "market adjustment." How times change, market adjustments on a Trans Am! And of course, adding a market adjustment means that you aren't going to get much of a deal on the sticker.

At my income level at the time, it really wouldn't have been a good idea to buy one anyway, and that sealed the deal. I drove off in my Cavalier and waited almost another three years.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts