GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know life "gets in the way" ... I'm not sure I could even make the entire trek ... but if I and a few others set up plans for a leisurely cruising tour of RT 66 from Chicagoland to California, are you interested in participating for all or part of the festivities?

This would take place in the September/October 2009 timeframe. I know that is the fall with school and other activities back in session, but this timeframe is ideal in terms of "cooler" temps...we wouldn't be dealing with sweltering heat in the southern states.... And, we wouldn't be at the "peak" of the summer driving/vacation season....

We'd start in Chicagoland, with a Saturday gathering in the Elgin IL area, perhaps something similar to the Chitown Gathering we had this year on July 26 in Elgin:
http://pics.projectmonte.com/album/12498

Then, we could start out that night...or early Sunday morning...and take a few days to get to CA so we could take in all we could along RT 66 without feeling too rushed.

Heck, I'm not sure which MC I'd drive...perhaps the '76.... But, that aside, life is too short ... and I want to do this before it's "too late" ... and I'm curious to know if much interest is in doing something like this with a group of people and awesome vehicles.... I'm posting this initially to a few select boards...and, if interest is good and we get plans together, will open it up to others....

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Take my way, it's the highway, that's the best" ... John Mayer ... 'Route 66'

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone interested?

In the coming weeks, I will begin to work out an "itinerary" of sorts.

From several links that Bob and Dennis (ChevyTalk.org) and a few others have forwarded to me, I have sent requests for brochures and information from the IL portion of RT 66...and will work from there across the states.

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"I knew she was a jewel in disguise" ... Kathy Mattea ... '455 Rocket'

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
I'd LOVE to! But alas, I have a job :( I want to make that trek one day. I was talking about with some people at my old job a couple of months ago. I'll be in Chcago next week, actually but it's for business and I won't be able to join you.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
I'd love to do that again... more thoroughly this time.

(I did that drive once, tried to stick to old 66 when I could but had to skip some of the less-convenient parts.)

I'm extremely interested, and would try very hard to take time off to do it.

(Would you guys accept a 50+ mpg Honda in your convoy? :D)

·
Registered
818 Posts
I'd love to as well but due to school constraints I could probably only meet up with you guys at the Texas-Oklahoma border and then follow you through Amarillo and to the Texas-NM border. Some day when I have free time (haha right!) I want to do this... maybe I will have some time after I graduate college and before the first job.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Every year I get to drive the original RTE 66 for a few miles in SoCal....Cajon Blvd. to Cleghorn Road alongside I-215 outside of San Bernadino. They film a lot of commercials on that stretch of road too.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll be in Chcago next week, actually but it's for business and I won't be able to join you.
Well, if you think you might have some free time when you are in town, let me know....

I'm extremely interested, and would try very hard to take time off to do it.

(Would you guys accept a 50+ mpg Honda in your convoy? :D)
Yep! I, personally, don't care what anyone drives during the trip...I think it'd be neat just to drive the route for the most part, anyway.

Jerry...consider yourself lucky ;).

I know this SEEMS like a LONG way off, but in a way, it isn't.

You do NOT have to go the entire trip...you can join us for as long or as short a time/distance as you want/are able....

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
I was just teasing you guys with the Honda. I actually plan on driving the most American of all vehicles for that trip.
Like what? I wanna do it in a big old convertable! :yup: Like an Eldorado or an old Chrysler as big as a whale, about to set sail! :D

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Like what? I wanna do it in a big old convertable!
*grins*

Me, too!!!! I'd love to drive a '75 Caprice Classic convertible for that trip ;).

lio, what car???

So far, about 20 people have expressed interest in taking all or part of this cruise along one of the most-famous US roads. Details will be shared/posted as they become available....

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
Like what?
lio, what car???
Well... a fullsize pickup truck. (I actually did not say "car").

Sorry if that's a disappointment, but it's generally accepted as the quintessential American passenger vehicle, even if one could argue against it ;) (as mentioned by Uzzy, a big old-fashioned land yacht would be a worthy alternative...)

I still have my 1969 big block Plymouth Roadrunner, but I'm not driving it across the continent and back. There are limits to my tolerance for pissing money away.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
Lio I would assuredly try the Roadrunner :D But you are right on the money pissing and I am sure the miles won't run too fast in there

But then again in a pickup the miles take a long time too... admittedly my Ram is quite comfy though

The best is something like a Caddy STS or better, a C5+ Corvette. You need something comfy but at the same time rapid. Eat the road at 275 km/h and hope la police don't see you.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lio, I agree about the Roadrunner. However, a full-size pickup is just fine, too!

I don't think I would try the trip in my corvair. I think the Caprice Wagon would be a good choice out of my stable. It is like driving a big sofa down the street. My next choice would be my Silvy.
I agree about your Caprice wagon :).

As part of this, I am hoping to enlist towns along the way to "host" gatherings and meeting/stop points.

We shall see how this goes.....

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
The part that really got me worried is the food. I don't eat crap, and I have always had a hard time getting decent food on US roadtrips. When I'm alone, I can hit grocery stores most of the time and keep my cooled little box (plugged in the cigarette lighter) full of healthy goods, but when part of a group, it's not really possible to do that (would be way too annoying to everyone else).

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
As part of this, I am hoping to enlist towns along the way to "host" gatherings and meeting/stop points.

We shall see how this goes.....
I'd like to see that list when you're ready. I'm hoping I can find (in advance) a few cool dudes who can supply me with WVO along the drive, and it's going to be way more convenient if I can find people that are exactly on our path.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The part that really got me worried is the food.
That's generally my worry, too...but, perhaps not for the same reasons. See, at home, I can eat and eat and eat. On my roadtrips, I BARELY eat at ALL. Drives people I meet up with nuts. But, that's the way I am ... a VERY light eater on the road. Case in point ... when I went to PA for the MC Nationals in June, I drove to PA straight through ... about 11 hours or so? ... with only one stop ... for food and gas.

I'd like to see that list when you're ready. I'm hoping I can find (in advance) a few cool dudes who can supply me with WVO along the drive, and it's going to be way more convenient if I can find people that are exactly on our path.
Understood. As soon as I get that together, I will post it ... but it may be a while. We'll see ;).

BTW ... as you consider cruising with us part or all of the way, please know that this event will be planned for the ENTIRE family. So, invite your family and friends!

I'm still waiting for the brochures I requested. I hope to receive them soon....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts