GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Give me your best guess or if you work for GM your best info. Between the 2004 and 2008 model year how many coupe models is GM going to build and what brands will get a coupe.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Chevrolet is getting a new Corvette (C6) and Cobalt Coupe.
Pontiac just got the new GTO, and will get the Solstice (convertible) in 2006.
Buick has no coupes planned.
Cadillac has the XLR, and no immediate plans for a coupe.
Saturn has the Ion, and the new Curve concept is a coupe, but is not planned for production (yet).

GM doesn't seem to have any competitors for an Accord Coupe or Infiniti G35 coupe any time soon.

Unfortunate but true.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
GM doesn't seem to have any competitors for an Accord Coupe or Infiniti G35 coupe any time soon.
Actually, I think the Pontiac GTO is a dead-on competitor for the G35. I think that Monaro-based "Grand National" concept that popped up in the Readers' Concepts forum would be even better, but the GTO definitely has the power, moves, and interior to match up with the G35. I know which I'd rather have.

Ghrankenstein

·
Registered
922 Posts
The G6 is going to have a coupe not to long after its introducton. Unless they changed that already.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I am into coupes. Believe it or not, my favorite is the current Pontiac Grand Am, even though I don't own one. When I think of what GM could have done with the Grand Am and didn't over the years I get crazy. I have the same feeling for the old Chevy Berretta. The Honda Accord, Toyota Solara and Infinity GS-35 coupes are for me the current state of the art. By that I mean great coupes that real people can afford. (No M-Benz coupes here). There is no doubt in my mind that GM could beat the balls off Honda, Toyota or Nissan coupe wise, if it wanted to. That's the question, does it want to? Coupes are not mass sellers but Honda/Toyota/Nissan have always offered them and seem to do OK. I like the new GTO but to me this should have been a Buick to go up against the Infinity G-35. The GTO should have been in the Honda/Toyota price range to knock them out of the box. Mabey that's what a future Monte Carlo/Chevelle will be for, I hope so. Then build a Camaro to fight the Mustang. I just want to see great GM coupes again.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by yoblues@Dec 28 2003, 07:15 PM
....then build a Camaro to fight the Mustang. I just want to see great GM coupes again.
join the club, the line forms to the left.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Caddy can and will probably have a few options for a coupe and they could do this gracefuly and make them really nice. The new Kappa platorm and Sigma/Sigma Lite chassis are great places to start. If the GTO and upcoming Camaro are going to be based off teh sigma, this could lead to a caddy dirivative could it not? A XLC or CTC could be made, and a smaller, SLK-like roadster could be made from teh Kappa platform and could be made to keep up with the likes of the SLK. I see a lot of people drive them around the beach and everyone loves a convertable coupe. Both chassis would be great moves IMO for caddy to come up with a coupe. The GTO is a great car for teh G35 coupe, and the Camaro could be the 350z's comparison. I think GM should position the GTO rigth above the Camaro in pricing and prestige like the G35 and 350z are. Im not sure that the success of a division lays in the hands of a coupe, but its a good mix compared to the usual 4dr sedans. It gives an instant sportiness to the look of the car.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
I just want to add that I'm glad Chevy went for a traditional coupe model for the Cobalt.

Now, just pray that the taillights are actual round lenses like in this photo ( ! ):

and not painted stock sedan lenses like with the Impala....

<_<

1 - 9 of 9 Posts