1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Corvette's Performance Data Recorder Headed To Other Cars
Will Cadillac ATS-V be first?
AutoBlog

For 2015, the Chevrolet Corvette Stingray gained a novel piece of high-performance technology: The Performance Data Recorder. This trick system combines video from a front-mounted camera with in-car data and GPS information to help drivers record and study their lap times, complete with data overlays. While it's a clever tool for track days, it's also finding popularity as a built-in dash cam of sorts. To this point, the technology has been a Corvette exclusive, but General Motors' executive vice president of global product development, Mark Reuss, has confirmed to Autoblog that it will soon be available in other vehicles.

At a media luncheon on Thursday, we asked whether GM was keen to expand usage of the technology to other models, and if we could expect to see something soon. Reuss coyly replied, "What's soon?" When we suggested the 2016 Cadillac ATS-V (which is scheduled to debut at next week's LA Auto Show), he replied, "There will be other uses, and it won't be that far away. How's that?"

**Full Article At Link**

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
Now even the cars are taking selfies?

It's cool but a little creepie...

·
Registered
668 Posts
Probably.

Needs moar gadgets and doodads and thingamabobbers than the space shuttle or it's a failure. DOA.
I don't know how I feel about all this.

I generally like technology. I'm ok with smaller engines with more tech and not having everything be huge displacement. I like my smartphone. I sometimes use social media. I spend more time on my laptop or using my tablet than I do watching TV. I'm certainly not on the cutting egde of technology, but I don't think I'm stuck in the past.

Yet, as far as a car goes, I really REALLY like to keep things basic. While I'm using the internet in some shape or form for hours a day, everday, I don't want WiFi in my car. I have a touchscreen tablet and phone and computer, but I DO NOT want one in my car. I just think we have so much technology already, the car should be a place that we can CARRY our other technology into, I don't like it to be a source of it.

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
I don't know how I feel about all this.

I generally like technology. I'm ok with smaller engines with more tech and not having everything be huge displacement. I like my smartphone. I sometimes use social media. I spend more time on my laptop or using my tablet than I do watching TV. I'm certainly not on the cutting egde of technology, but I don't think I'm stuck in the past.

Yet, as far as a car goes, I really REALLY like to keep things basic. While I'm using the internet in some shape or form for hours a day, everday, I don't want WiFi in my car. I have a touchscreen tablet and phone and computer, but I DO NOT want one in my car. I just think we have so much technology already, the car should be a place that we can CARRY our other technology into, I don't like it to be a source of it.
Joke. Cool your jets.

·
Premium Member
3,276 Posts
I'm thinking definitely Camaro and the V-series Cadillacs; possibly also the Buick Regal GS (or any other GS series vehicles they might ever bring about).

As for GMC, maybe a part of the All-Terrain or some other more hardcore off-road variants?

·
Registered
518 Posts
In this era of Go Pro, GM's Performance Data Recorder will be considered very cool... up until the point that the 'data' is used as Exhibit A in a driver's prosecution for reckless driving, vehicular manslaughter, etc. Then not so much.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I wonder what other vehicle besides the ATS-V will be shown at the LA auto show that will have the data recorder? Is it the offroad colorado or could they possibly reveal the new camaro? I remember reading somewhere that the new camaro will not be revealed at Detroit.

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
It's cool...probably wouldn't spend my hard earned money on it....

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
In this era of Go Pro, GM's Performance Data Recorder will be considered very cool... up until the point that the 'data' is used as Exhibit A in a driver's prosecution for reckless driving, vehicular manslaughter, etc. Then not so much.
If an idiot is stupid enough to use it on a public road, drive recklessly and injure people, perhaps they deserve to be prosecuted with every tool available.

·
Registered
518 Posts
If an idiot is stupid enough to use it on a public road, drive recklessly and injure people, perhaps they deserve to be prosecuted with every tool available.
Oh, absolutely deserving.

But once such a prosecution happens, even mostly law-abiding folks will start having second thoughts about the technology...

...Second thoughts along the lines of 'Hmmm, what if I'm a few MPH north of the limit on a public road... and I'm involved in an accident'

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.