·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
www.autoblog.com

Corvette ZR1 engineer says GT-R won't be King of the 'Ring for long

Posted May 2nd 2008 1:01PM by Damon Lavrinc
Filed under: Supercars, Chevrolet, Nissan

The Nissan GT-R's 7:29 lap record won't stand for long if Chevrolet has anything to say about it. Speaking with InsideLine, Corvette Chief Engineer, Tadge Jeuchter, says that the ZR1, "will be able to take the production-car track record at any racetrack," and that although Chevy doesn't have a production version of the uber-Vette at the Nurburgring yet, they're expecting a lap time of "seven minutes, twenty-something seconds." That sounds like smack-talk to us. But while the ZR1 might have the potential to best the GT-R's 'Ring time, the 550-600 hp elephant in the room is the forthcoming GT-R V-Spec, which is already putting down (roughly-timed) laps around the North Loop in the 7:25 realm. Let the battle begin. We're making popcorn now.

Gallery: 2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1

Gallery: Nissan GT-R (US-spec)

[Source: InsideLine]

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It sounds like the ZR1 will be able to beat the normal GT-R.. but its going to get really interesting to see if it can beat the GT-R V-Spec!!!

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
I think we knew this was coming, but it's great to hear that the competition is alive. I got to meet Tadge in Detroit, one of the highlights of the NAIAS for me because I've been a Corvette fan since long before I could drive.

It's sort of odd that Nissan and Chevrolet are the ones battling it out for the title, who'd have thought?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
its good to know they are watching the competition closely. I hope it beats out the v-spec, but nissan might go back and change things up if the ZR1 comes out first. cant wait to find out

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
STHU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let the car do the talking, why do you have to lower yourself in public perception, yet another bad move by a suit:(

Lets see a vehicle by GM that blows ZR1 out of the water, I'm talking true luxury, true supercar killer...

Not that ZR1 isn't one of the most awesome machines in the world, I just want it to be "THE" most awesome;)

CobaltSS

·
Premium Member
34,352 Posts
Yes, The corvette guys should just have taken a 2008 Z06 back to run the ring, quietly, With the upgrades they gave it, and a good driver, it probably run better numbers than the last time it was there

·
Registered
773 Posts
This is getting a little bit silly. Didn't the same chief engineer say the ZR-1 would not necessarily be faster than a Z06?

For some reason, I highly doubt the ZR-1 will achieve a Nurburgring time under 7:30. Plus, the ZR-1 will compete with the upcoming GT-R Spec V, not the regular GT-R.

The regular GT-R competes with the Z06, and in that comparison the GT-R has the Z06 soundly beat in most categories.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Yes, The corvette guys should just have taken a 2008 Z06 back to run the ring, quietly, With the upgrades they gave it, and a good driver, it probably run better numbers than the last time it was there
You probably won't find a better driver than John Heinricy ... especially when it comes to Corvettes. Usually he runs those fast laps.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Put the pedal to the metal, and lets see some results!

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
Product Darwinism at its best. I love it!

Both are great cars, and the more I read about the GT-R, the more I like it. Even the looks have grown on me. Nonetheless, my allegiance is with the Bowtie Division.

5,934 Posts
I just hope they can get the suspension to settle the car down. Jan **** his pants when he got the "Blue Devil" airborne at the 'Ring last time.

HP and torque is good, but they need to match the suspension to handle the speeds they expect to keep the car settled down. I wonder if they've involved Pratt & Miller with this work? Perhaps giving the suspension more travel would help.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Can't wait. Come on GM!!

·
Banned
6,921 Posts
This is getting a little bit silly. Didn't the same chief engineer say the ZR-1 would not necessarily be faster than a Z06?

For some reason, I highly doubt the ZR-1 will achieve a Nurburgring time under 7:30. Plus, the ZR-1 will compete with the upcoming GT-R Spec V, not the regular GT-R.

The regular GT-R competes with the Z06, and in that comparison the GT-R has the Z06 soundly beat in most categories.
IMHO, It's not that rigid and cut and dried.

From the people side of things -
If I am in that market, and demographics say that I am, I'm going to be a bit hesitant to plunk down that kind of money for the GT-R, new and all.

With the Corvette, I've got established performance with a lower entry price (depends on what you want), a well-developed infrastructure, scads of Corvette clubs, the ability to factory visit and see my Corvette being made, proven after-market, and classic styling that is much more appealing to me than the GT-R.

From the machine side of things -
it doesn't matter what competes with what Z06 versus V-Spec, GT-R versus ZR1. It just doesn't. What matters is which car has the best timeslip, the fastest 0-60 or quarter mile times, the most horsepower, etc..., those quickly quoted measures of performance. Just think of it this way - if the GT-R whups on the Z06 but the ZR1 spanks them all (or vice versa). In the end, which car is the best and baddest?

And when it comes down to it, 10 seconds on the ring is not definitive one way or the other. 5 degrees a little humidity and one bad shift and that's down the tubes. So when Mr. Corvette suit says 7:20 and change, he's 1) not very bright and 2) doesn't much confidence that his product will whup up on the GT-R like it should.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I just hope they can get the suspension to settle the car down. Jan **** his pants when he got the "Blue Devil" airborne at the 'Ring last time.

HP and torque is good, but they need to match the suspension to handle the speeds they expect to keep the car settled down. I wonder if they've involved Pratt & Miller with this work? Perhaps giving the suspension more travel would help.

I wouldnt worry about the suspension, this thing should have one of the best suspension gear running around.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
i have good faith in the performance of the vette, i think it will do quite well against the GTR or the vspec or whatever they want to call it.

regardless, you cant beat the price tag and the backing the corvette has.

·
Banned
17,572 Posts
IMHO, It's not that rigid and cut and dried.

From the people side of things -
If I am in that market, and demographics say that I am, I'm going to be a bit hesitant to plunk down that kind of money for the GT-R, new and all.

With the Corvette, I've got established performance with a lower entry price (depends on what you want), a well-developed infrastructure, scads of Corvette clubs, the ability to factory visit and see my Corvette being made, proven after-market, and classic styling that is much more appealing to me than the GT-R.

From the machine side of things -
it doesn't matter what competes with what Z06 versus V-Spec, GT-R versus ZR1. It just doesn't. What matters is which car has the best timeslip, the fastest 0-60 or quarter mile times, the most horsepower, etc..., those quickly quoted measures of performance. Just think of it this way - if the GT-R whups on the Z06 but the ZR1 spanks them all (or vice versa). In the end, which car is the best and baddest?

And when it comes down to it, 10 seconds on the ring is not definitive one way or the other. 5 degrees a little humidity and one bad shift and that's down the tubes. So when Mr. Corvette suit says 7:20 and change, he's 1) not very bright and 2) doesn't much confidence that his product will whup up on the GT-R like it should.
People still read Realists posts?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts