GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Corvette Can Secretly Record Conversations And Get You Arrested
Turns out, "Valet Mode" does more than limit power output.
AOL Autos

The 2015 Corvette comes with 650 horses, a supercharged V8 engine under the hood and a feature called Valet mode.

"It's not always easy to give up the keys, especially when we've all heard horror stories about valets behaving badly."

Along with being able to lock your entertainment system and compartments in your car, valet mode can also record what happens in the car while your gone, that includes audio.

The problem is, in plenty of states all over the country secretly recording audio of another person's conversation without their consent is a felony.

Valet mode is not exclusive to the 2015 Corvette but recording video and audio is. According to CBS, the technology was originally developed to help race car drivers improve their driving technique.

The valet mode was introduced in August with many praising the new feature. Gizmag writes it "gives owners peace of mind."

But fast forward about a month and the tune is a little different. This month, dealerships across the country reportedly received a letter from General Motors notifying them the Valet feature might not exactly be legal.

**Full Article At Link**

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Just have a message display on the DIC or touchscreen that states the recording is happening whenever valet mode is enabled. No longer a secret recording.

·
Registered
9,571 Posts
I could imagine a different approach where the CAR does NOT record ANY audio/video BUT logs a record of the trips taken in VALET mode and even further OnStar ring your phone if the car exceeds setting IE 15 MIN run time or 3 MILES driven OR 30 MILES per hour for example

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
I have a hard time understanding why it's illegal for me to record what is going on inside the car I own.
This is something will be sorted out once it has been taken to court and they figure out what to do with this. Technically someone can make it easy, let your friend drive the car record him and have him sue you. Then have his lawyer give a piss poor argument boom done.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I have a hard time understanding why it's illegal for me to record what is going on inside the car I own.
Because some states don't recognize that there are limitations on expectation of privacy, such as public places (roadways and parking lots are just 2 examples). But it should be noted that of those states, it's only illegal if they don't know they are being recorded.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I would want that, but according to the article, there will be a software update of some kind, presumably they will remove the audio recording function I would imagine.

The letter was later posted on CorvetteForum.com "To help our customers use the Performance Data Recorder (UQT) consistent with legal requirements that pertain to audio recording devices, we will be requiring a very important update to the system of each affected vehicle in the near future. ... [Dealerships] must advise any customers ... they should refrain from using the Valet Mode until the update takes place."

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
Just have a message display on the DIC or touchscreen that states the recording is happening whenever valet mode is enabled. No longer a secret recording.
I was just going say something along the same lines. Clearly what you suggest would be the most logical solution so that this feature can still legally be used.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Because someone driving the car would have a reasonable expectation of privacy, unless he's being told about the recording. You'd probably be slightly miffed to find out that a dealer was recording everything that happened inside a loaner he owned and that you were driving, no?

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Can't they have the DIC or NAV screen display this message and force the valet to press "accept" before starting or driving?

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
All you people complaining about handing the keys to a valet need to take a weekend stroll through major urban restauranting and nightlife spots and check out the bling that is valet parked in front.

Personal highlight this summer: Audi R8 - Mercedes SLS AMG - Ferrari 458 back to back to back. So yeah, a Z06 isn't too special for a valet.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Just park the car yourself instead of giving a powerful expensive car to some little punk from highschool who just received his drivers license.
1. Give the guy in charge a tip first

2. Park far away from all the other cars the valets have already parked

Fail to do either, and good luck having the clearance to open your door when you leave. :)

Reactions: richmond2000

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
by "telling" the valet that he is recording he/she will be more careful with your car IMHO VS going after him/the restaurant with evidence after the fact
Exactly. I don't see why GM didn't think to include this part of the feature

1 - 20 of 25 Posts