GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
blue devil? wasn't the first engine in the '53 vette called blue flame or something?

anyway, i guess that TT corvette setup wasn't too far off. :D

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
This is great news. 600 HP if GM wants to keep the Corvette at the top of GM's performance offering this will mean a GTO can be 400, 500 or 550hp or an STS for that matter. The nod to old numbers is great. I wonder what the Blue Devil will look like.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Wrong, this means the GTO will have below the BASE corvette's horsepower.

So, if the base C6 has 405.. the GTO will certainly be rated below that.

Remember, the F-Bodies were underrated so they wouldn't challenge the C5's 345 horsepower, NOT the z06. (yes, I know you hate them)

·
Registered
12 Posts
if it's true that that thing puts out over 600 ponies then it stomps all over the legendary ZL1 of yore. the first ZL1 put out (wink, wink) 435 hp and like 480+ ft. lbs. it'll sure as hell put a hurtin' on that Ford GT. God, these sure are the good 'ol days.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Then howcome the CTSV has 400HP, or many of the silverado and truck engines make more then the base corvettes 350?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hey TA Freak

all hes says is that if NOTHING out powers a corvette how come a TRUCK does...... and why cant a gto or a sts-v or a xlr-v

thats all

matt

GO LEAFS GO

·
Registered
475 Posts
And I'm saying only an idiot would compare Trucks to Cars.

I have a 2000 GMC 4x4 pickup with the 5.7L Vortec engine.

I also have a 98 Trans Am with the 5.7L LS1.

Sure, same engine family, but my T/A engine is COMPLETELY different.

Why? BECAUSE IT'S NOT A TRUCK

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by TAFreak@Dec 22 2003, 03:22 AM
And I'm saying only an idiot would compare Trucks to Cars.

I have a 2000 GMC 4x4 pickup with the 5.7L Vortec engine.

I also have a 98 Trans Am with the 5.7L LS1.

Sure, same engine family, but my T/A engine is COMPLETELY different.

Why? BECAUSE IT'S NOT A TRUCK
comparing a truck motor to a sports car motor is simply stupid. Not everyone wants a 500hp motor in there car. I know its strange, but it seems to be the case with most people I meet. Sports cars are geared more twards performance then a truck is. The truck motors put out plenty of power to get the job done. Both teh LS1 and 5.3/6.0 blocks are 2 different motors almost. Other then both of them being OHV and Gen III motors, they are 2 different beasts. One is built with an all aluminum construction, and a performance attidtue along with high compression heads, while the truck blocks are iron motors with low compression built to take a beating for over 200k miles. Comparing truck motors to sports car motors is apples to oranges.

Now, back to the show. The Blue Devil sounds like one sweet motor!! I hope Gm does it right and forges the internals and give it a dry sump system like on the new 5.4 SC motor in the GT40. Raising the bar to 625hp now allows 500hp sedans and sports cars to roam. Was it me, or did they confirm that the next Z06 will have 500hp? The SuperVette with CF body pannels and a 600+hp motor is gunna be sick! This reminds me of when they were gunna make the vette a mid engined car. What are they gunna use for a trans? TH-400/E!!! ahahah! Not much that GM has can handle this kind of load. I hope that its a 6spd sequential.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts