GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/25/corvette-chief-tom-wallace-retiring/

Tom Wallace, Corvette Chief at GM, will be retiring from the company at the end of the month. The news was delivered during an event at the Peterson Museum honoring Corvette history. While no reasons were given for the November 1st departure, there is speculation that it could be related to the timing of the seventh-generation Corvette. Wallace may be unwilling to commit to the vehicle's extended launch schedule -- the car was originally set for a 2012 model-year release, but it has reportedly been pushed back to 2014. Wallace was known for his keen grasp of performance-car culture and a passion for the marque, and his departure has come as a shock to many.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Wow...shortest term ever for a Corvette Chief. There is something else up about this. Something related to C7 program. Maybe there will be a second "All Corvettes Are Red" book to talk about the life, death, and rebirth of the C7 program!

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
After the ZR1, he might as well go out on top...

While not being any where near 100% in the know, It seemed that getting the ZR1 to production was no mean feat in itself, so he certainly got one of the best Corvettes to market and we as GM fans can appreciate that.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I own a Viper, and I can tell you that the Corvette name has a MUCH bigger following than the Vette. So, no, GM is not going to keep the Viper and kill the Corvette.

I do take this as very bad news. Anytime you lose one of "the car guys", that is reason for serious concern. Especially with this little notice. Either he is being forced out, or something so bad is coming that he decided to leave before it was forced on him. Somebody that reads this knows something.....anyone willing to share?

·
Registered
818 Posts
I'm coming GM, I'm coming as fast as I can. Unfortunately, I have no fewer than 2 years left in college.... You all have no idea how I wish I could get out of here faster and start working for GM and help make them the best auto company in the world (I know they have the knowledge and drive, they just lack the financial backing).

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
I just hope the next Vette looks a LOT like the Centennial/Transformers concept! Time for a brave, revolutionary vs. evolutionary head spinning Vette!
Just like the iconic 911, just like the near luxury yardstick, the 3-series, the Corvette is a legend. There's nothing deficient about its design, there's nothing deficient about its performance. I ask that GM simply give it regular, fresh-but certainly not revolutionary-design updates with a trimmed weight, higher horsepower ratings, continually improving fuel economy, and better handling, just like it has with the last two iterations. Admittedly with those attributes being superlative already, improvement will be no easy feat. That alone will help it to maintain its brand equity, which will in turn keep Bowling Green humming and help the 'Vette maintain its legendary performance car status.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I don't know how old he is, but has it occured to you that the guy might want to spend some time with his family, travel, enjoy life ? :)

GM is most likely shifting its attention to the next gen and I believe it's a could be a waste of ressources if he gets too involved in the C7 and have someone replace him midway and question all his work.

·
Banned
2,364 Posts
I know a few people who are quite familiar with Mr Wallace personally and have nothing but wonderful things to say about him. I have had the opportunity to speak with him and was impressed by his sincere attitude, knowledge, and williingness to listen. he is a prime example of what makes GM a success. too bad the marketing folks are screwing things up so badly for the many who perform diligently.

best of luck to you TW.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts