GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,854 Posts
I'm so freakin' smitten with this car! I'm glad that GM engineers didn't botch this up by changing what was right with the car (great engine, great overall design theme) and changed much of what what was wrong (mainly, the bush league interior). The only thing that is disappointing was the lack of at least a 5-speed manual (for those Corvette drivers who don't like to shift for themselves...). David Hill et al. did a great job.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Originally posted by tgagneguam@Feb 12 2004, 08:28 PM
I'm so freakin' smitten with this car! I'm glad that GM engineers didn't botch this up by changing what was right with the car (great engine, great overall design theme) and changed much of what what was wrong (mainly, the bush league interior). The only thing that is disappointing was the lack of at least a 5-speed manual (for those Corvette drivers who don't like to shift for themselves...). David Hill et al. did a great job.
You mean a 5-speed auto, correct?

Yeah, I'm really surprised that GM had the balls to use a 4-speed auto with this thing. I can't say as I really care for the car much at all, though I do respect what it's (presumably, since there haven't been independant tests yet) capable of.

·
Registered
8,854 Posts
Originally posted by awalbert88@Feb 13 2004, 01:51 AM
You mean a 5-speed auto, correct?

Yeah, I'm really surprised that GM had the balls to use a 4-speed auto with this thing. I can't say as I really care for the car much at all, though I do respect what it's (presumably, since there haven't been independant tests yet) capable of.
Yup. I guess I was caught up in my lust for this here vehicle! :lol:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Wow, all I can say is that car is beautiful. WHY WON'T GM REPLACE THE 4 SPEED AUTO!!!! Talk about low-tech. Please GM, give us a 5 or 6 speed at least in the Corvette!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Originally posted by ibechip@Feb 12 2004, 09:51 PM
Wow, all I can say is that car is beautiful. WHY WON'T GM REPLACE THE 4 SPEED AUTO!!!! Talk about low-tech. Please GM, give us a 5 or 6 speed at least in the Corvette!
Well I'm sure GM would love to just dump a few hundred grand into a new 6 speed auto and have it ready in a month. Unfortunately it is taking MILLIONS of dollars and the 6 speed autos are set to debut it the '06 MY.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The interior design and materials are still too dated and sub-par (if anyone wants proof, go sit in a $25k Jetta)- The center stack plastic looks really cheap (the same plastic they used around the guage besel). Somehow, the steering wheel looks like it still belongs in 1985 along with the HVAC vents. Externally, the car is beautiful and the performance will be unquestionable. An American Evolution.

·
Registered
8,854 Posts
Originally posted by powervette@Feb 13 2004, 10:46 AM
be patient guys,
6 speed auto is coming soon... ^_^
In the mean time, we'll just have to make do with the 5- and 6-speed automatics already available in the imports! That is, of course, until Mercedes unveils its 7-speed at about the time GM finally comes to market with its 6-speed... :lol:

I still think that the 4-speed automatic is the only bush-league part of this car, though.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
I saw the car at NAIAS and it looks ten times better in person than in the pictures. Does anyone have any info on whats going to power the next Zo6? I have heard rumors of a 7.0 V8, but that seems a little expensive.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
The interior looks like crap, thats the same basic steering wheel off of a malibu. That center stack looks terrible, too many different colors and textures.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Maybe if we didn't have these "torque monster" V8 engines that the U.S. market is known for, we would have 5, 6 or 7 speed gearboxes by now to ultilize a narrow power band.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Originally posted by giagastormer@Feb 13 2004, 02:32 PM
The interior looks like crap, thats the same basic steering wheel off of a malibu.
Check again and tell me how that steering wheel is the same one in the Malibu. <_<

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey Rex, I'm goin to the autoshow this week. Do they let you go right up to the Vette? Or is it behing velvet ropes. I remember a few years back in T.O they let people sit in the thing and the lineup was a mile long. Best hour wasted of my life!

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Originally posted by bobc997615@Feb 13 2004, 09:26 AM
Maybe if we didn't have these "torque monster" V8 engines that the U.S. market is known for, we would have 5, 6 or 7 speed gearboxes by now to ultilize a narrow power band.
I agree - retaining the 4 speed auto doesn't seem that big deal when you've got 400 lbs/ft of torque!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Originally posted by giagastormer@Feb 13 2004, 02:31 PM
I saw the car at NAIAS and it looks ten times better in person than in the pictures.  Does anyone have any info on whats going to power the next Zo6?  I have heard rumors of a 7.0 V8, but that seems a little expensive.
The latest rumor is a 6.4L 3V/cylinder with VVT for 500HP and 489ft-lbs. Expect
a significant increase in handling ability since the Z51 package for the base C6 will
make it about equal to the current C5 Z06. Price is rumored to be about $60K. The next
Z06 will be unveiled at the Jan '05 North American International Auto Show.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Originally posted by Tone+Feb 13 2004, 01:29 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Tone @ Feb 13 2004, 01:29 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bobc997615@Feb 13 2004, 09:26 AM
I agree - retaining the 4 speed auto doesn't seem that big deal when you've got 400 lbs/ft of torque! [/b][/quote]
Why would anyone want an automatic in a car like this anyway?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts