GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
Would be fun. Honestly if I were GM, I would treat Porsche as a budget competitor to Lamborghini, Porsche, and Mclaren. Same quality, better performance, more affordable
Mid Engined Corvette fights what ever Mid engined sports car coming above the 911, McLaren 570 & 650, Huracan
Stingray - Cayman, 911 family
E-ray sedan (based on alpha) - Mission E fighter

·
Premium Member
News Contributor
5,578 Posts
I've been hoping this would happen since rumors first surface around 2000/2001.

Back then there was not only talk of a two (or three) tier Corvette lineup, but also moving the Camaro into the new performance sub-division.

That scierano would still work today, and lopen up room for a Chevrolet Code.

Corvette (GM's new performance division)
Zora
Stingray
Manta-ray
Camaro

·
Registered
16,957 Posts
Be interesting how they do it with Cadillac aiming to be sport oriented as well. Would the Corvette brand follow Porsche into the 4 door sedan, SUV/CUV world? I guess the two (Vette Brand and Cadillac) could live together as they'd be highly differentiated, but does GM need two sport oriented high end brands? Or will the Vette brand stay as simply sport type cars?

·
News Editor
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Be interesting how they do it with Cadillac aiming to be sport oriented as well. Would the Corvette brand follow Porsche into the 4 door sedan, SUV/CUV world? I guess the two (Vette Brand and Cadillac) could live together as they'd be highly differentiated, but does GM need two sport oriented high end brands? Or will the Vette brand stay as simply sport type cars?
Which was why I drew the comparison between Audi and Porsche. The two coexist with several overlapping products, albeit not in the same showroom.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Which was why I drew the comparison between Audi and Porsche. The two coexist with several overlapping products, albeit not in the same showroom.
That's the important part right there. They can't be in the same showroom. Maybe the same dealer but with different showrooms.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
I think they can be in the same, more importantly neither should be in the same showroom as Chevy.
Why?

Should we also take the plant out of Bowling Green? None of these highfalutin, too good to visit a Chevy dealership folk are going to want a car built in Kentucky.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
re-reading the article
I'm getting a feeling this could be as much about segregating Chevrolet
and having a full-lineup premium-Lux group
Cadillac-Corvette-GMC-Buick

·
Registered
19,260 Posts
I suspect Cadillac WILL follow more of an Audi-like strategy that de-emphasizes performance as a primary attribute and refocuses on actual image and message. They're already doing it. Audi has a substantially better future-proofed brand than does BMW and, frankly, so does the traditional concept of Cadillac.

Leaves the door open for a niche, secondary and more focused performance brand like Corvette to step into Cadillac's old shoes (that never fit properly, anyway) and fill the void.

Only works though if they can manage a greater degree of personalization, which I think they could do if they expand the Corvette lineup with Stingray on the bottom and Zora/Manta/C8 taking on the role of the big boy Corvette with higher prices and lower volume.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
so
how much for the tippytop&loaded Corvette?
more than for the most expensive future Cadillac??

·
Registered
19,260 Posts
so
how much for the tippytop&loaded Corvette?
more than for the most expensive future Cadillac??
$150k-$175k for a main line C8, $400k for a limited production hyper car.

Most expensive Cadillac, maybe $250k absolutely loaded to the balls 10 years down the road as a Ghost-priced Phantom or a Bentayga-like SUV.

They're queuing for a car built in Markham, ON...
If that's a joke, I don't get it. If it's not, explain.

·
Registered
9,352 Posts
I for think corvette as a brand has merit and a porsche like alignment is a good base to draw from

NO S U Vs of ANY type OR style to even be dreamed of - we have the GMC AND Escalade sub-brand for SUV's

I would like to see something like a NEW solstice/sky be a "entry" 'vette like the BOXER is to Porsche
the Camaro STAYS a CHEVY and TOTALLY NOT a VETTE in any way and with the current trajectory of the pony cars I can see a "CODE" OR at least a Cruze SS as a fun entry car

I would like to see GM take Voltec/hybrid tech to the sporting limit in some vette models a bit like FORD GT "showcasing" ECOBOOST let some VETTE models push VOLTEC boundaries
I think Vette as a brand can PUSH the envelope MORE then Caddy can whereas Voltec in a Caddy would be focused on refined and efficiency VS RAW powa!!!

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
$150k-$175k for a main line C8, $400k for a limited production hyper car.

Most expensive Cadillac, maybe $250k absolutely loaded to the balls 10 years down the road as a Ghost-priced Phantom or a Bentayga-like SUV.

If that's a joke, I don't get it. If it's not, explain.
The $400K Ford GT will be built in Canada, in part because of Markham's Multimatic Inc and their expertise with carbon fiber.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I think spinning the Corvette away from Chevrolet would be a terrible mistake. Many people are attracted to the Corvette because they are fans of Chevrolet and would not be interested to the extent they are if it was a stand alone brand. I think many would gravitate to the Camaro or another brand if the Corvette was not a Chevrolet.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts