GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2,423 Posts
'dated Mustang' refers to it's Falcon-derived underpinnings. I don't agree that 4 years makes any sub-component 'dated'.

The 1st Corvair definitely was revolutionary. It opened the USDM market to a high volume small car where there wasn't one prior-to. And it gained considerable traction in Europe as well. It was FAR from being a "recycled VW".

· Registered
2,423 Posts
As I stated above- the Corvair's huge influence was its design, but it still earn credit as one of the founding 'small domestics' and opening that segment up.

As for your claimed "claim" - I never stated the beetle wasn't selling well, so who's semantics were you referring to?

Beetle did sell well (Corvair eclipsed it in '60, '61, '62 & '63), but primarily to a different demographic- the growing 'foreign car buyer'. The Corvair opened the demographic up to domestic buyers (some were already there with the '59 Lark & the Ramblers, tho not in similar numbers), hence the Falcon, Valiant, Dart, continuing Lark, continuing American, etc. Corvair -with a full line of variants- offered a lot more choice to buyers than any of the others. Plus- the now ubiquitous turbocharging. ;)

· Registered
2,423 Posts
“Not one prior to” - implying the then USDM 100,000 unit p/annum VW was not already a high volume small car?
Again- as I clarified; opened the segment up to DOMESTIC buyers.
I consider the beetle sales to be decent, but to put it in perspective : the Lark was outselling the Beetle almost 2:1 in '59 (159K vs. 88K).

Thanks for further proving my point!
Your statement was that the Corvair was "the only" one - it wasn't.

· Registered
2,423 Posts
Clarfied as DOMESTIC buyers, or buyers of DOMESTIC cars?
Not hard to understand RE the reality of the USDM at the time (if one looked into it), but: 'domestic car buyers'.

Which part of my “flat engine, air-cooled” stipulation do you not understand?
The part where you think 'air-cooled' was a meaningful component of the Beetle's sales.

Whoever sent this puppy out with the original rear suspension was a total maroon.
'64 & up had much-improved handling / revised rear suspension. A buddy of mine had four '65-66 Corvair coupes that I rode in many times in my youth (when we all drove like lawless animals) - never had an issue. One of his Vairs was a 4-carb Corsa / 4-speed.

· Registered
2,423 Posts
Wonder if Nadar even bothered to drive a Corvair. Of course; he's not an "expert driver" in a crash helmet doing wildly atypical maneuvers on an empty, closed course with the express purpose of taking a squat, family sedan to 11/10ths of it's capacity.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts