GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By the summer of 2001, two Arizona troopers were dead. A Phoenix cop was in the hospital, comatose and badly burned.

They all had one thing in common: Their Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor had caught fire when it was hit from behind.

Thank god their using Impalas now.

Full Story here http://www.freep.com/money/autonews/crown9...n9_20031209.htm[/URL]

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've heard about this. It really sucks too because my dad drives a Crown Vic when he's on duty! :(

Odd though, a while back my dad was in a wreck where he rear ended another officer at like 70 MPH (guy in front stopped suddenly). Neither car caught fire though, and my dad walked away, thankfully.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
County police near hear just bought 30 Intrepids.
partly because the cameras come installed form the factory.
With the vics they are 3K aftermarket.

·
Registered
396 Posts
cops in toronto b*tched about the fords and fords reply: "don't drive our cars" so the TOPD drive impalas and intrepids now. funny stuff.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Maybe the cops just have to go back to and redo their aggressive driving training.

It's not funny that people have died but comeon compare the fatality/mileage rate of the Crown Vic to any car, then add in the fact of how they are driven. Then make a judjement.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well if this is true*Cough*Bull*****Cough*..It shouldnt be blowing up in the first place uh duh :drevil: ......:SmokeBomb:*Runs away*

·
Registered
396 Posts
i think ford should fix the problem. whether or not it's the fault of the officer driving, the last thing a cop needs to worry about is his squad car blowing up while during a pursuit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Originally posted by doh@Dec 12 2003, 05:13 PM
Maybe the cops just have to go back to and redo their aggressive driving training.

It's not funny that people have died but comeon compare the fatality/mileage rate of the Crown Vic to any car, then add in the fact of how they are driven. Then make a judjement.
It's not how the police are driving. Most of these crashes have occurred while the officers were parked on the road side and a motorist (drunk, sleepy or head up their a**) plows into the police cruiser.
It's when these cars get rear ended hard they sometimes catch fire and trap the officer in the car, leading to a tragic death.
A redesign of the fuel tank could well lessen the chances of that happening.

·
Registered
236 Posts
They damn well better fix it, I don't want anything to happen to my dad.

About the parked cars getting hit, it's true. My dad got hit one time by a guy who was drunk of his *** "looking for deer" on his way home. He lived on the other side of the county! :plasma:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Cops use their cars as shields and battering rams.

Any time you do something like that, there's a good chance you're going to pay for it.

I guess what the Police really want is a badge that protects them from reality.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have you know that the Vic is a 4 to 5 star saftey car. It's very well designed in terms of saftey and is THE ONLY REMAINING BOF V8 RWD SEDAN IN AMERICA! GM bailed out on the Caprice so gues what!?! Don't make fun of it! It's the last of a breed! Of course accidents do happen and more so with highway police chases. I'd still take a Crown Vic over a Impala sedan anyway for reasons of quality and reliability. lately Ford has been winning most of it's court cases. GM is now realizing that they may face even worse problems. Read news on how the Aveo is doing or the dozens of recent recals that are affect millions of GM vehicles.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I wish I knew the link but there was an article describing a study performed on Crown Vics VS other police cars, statistics showed the Vics caught fire one average less then the Caprice and other similar cars, public statistics also reflected this. The primary issue arises when several fire fatalities occur in such a short period. I do agree that a re-design or protective shield should be created but it also appears that the Vics have gotten a lot of negative press in light of a very good prior safety record.

It does appear police prefer the body on frame/ V8 configuration but it will be interesting to see sales results if Dodge were to decide to market a Magnum police version.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.