GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I pulled into a Pontiac dealer yesterday while we were running some errands, and I picked up a full model-line brochure for '04.

So, I thought I was up on things, right? I've read all about the GXP. I've been keeping tabs on it since it showed up as a concept awhile back. "A V8 Bonneville, what an epiphany!", right?

So, I lust a bit at the GTO pictures, then I turn the page to read about the GXP...

"Power, performance, luxury"...da da da da da..."no compromise"...da da da da da.."world-class power"...da da da da da..."Northstar V8"...da da...choke...WHAT?? :blink:

Northstar? But that's supposed to be exclusive to Cadillac! I mean, I don't mean to be elitist or anything, and I love Pontiacs, but SOMETHING has to distinguish one from the other in terms of motive power...

Sure, it's the previous generation Northstar engine, but its still branded as "Northstar" clear as day--a picture of the engine cover shows a big "NORTHSTAR V8" right under that pretty red Pontiac logo.

I guess I'll get used to it, and I suppose it's a good thing that GM no longer feels Cadillac needs the cachet of a Northstar engine given its successful return to the land of coolness and hipness.

One thing's for sure, I really REALLY like that GXP based on what I've seen and read, even before I knew they dropped a Cadillac engine into it. :woot2:

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
I'm glad for Pontiac. The Corvette engine is being used in the CTS-V and Pontiac GTO......engine sharing can be a good thing.

If only Oldsmobile had shared its engines more with other brands before their demise, we might not be talking "value" and "high feature" engines now.

·
Registered
43,886 Posts
But it's not like the Northstar didn't exist in other forms at GM. There were 2 derivated Northstar engines -- the Aurora V8 and the 3400 V6.
They just were never called "Northstar."

But yeah... it is disappointing that "Northstar" is filtering to Pontiac. You'd think Holden or Saab or Opel could find something better to stuff into a Pontiac. The Northstar name almost equates to Cadillac.
And as much as I like the Vette engine in the CTS-V, I would have preferred a TT or SC Northstar. But who am I to complain. :blink:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Originally posted by Hudson@Nov 3 2003, 01:46 PM
Sorry for the correction...but the 3500 (not 3400) was the V6 based on the Northstar.
Also called the 'ShortStar' in the Fiero community...

Byrdman

·
Registered
43,886 Posts
Originally posted by Hudson@Nov 3 2003, 12:46 PM
Sorry for the correction...but the 3500 (not 3400) was the V6 based on the Northstar.
There was a 3500?? :eek:
I would have put money on the 3400. hmm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts