GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.autofiends.com/index.php/2008/11/convert-your-pontiac-g8-into-a-holden-commodore/

Oh sure, the Pontiac G8 looks good. Actually it looks great. But a Pontiac G8? I still think it should have been the Grand Prix or Bonneville, but it may not matter all that much. But if you want to take the opposite direction and own the G8’s origin as an Aussie bruiser, for the right money the option is available. JHP Vehicle Enhancements in Australia will sell you the entire bodykit to convert a G8 into a Holden Commodore. It looks fantastic and it’s authentic. And you’ll be one of only a handful on the road in the U.S. Prices are steep at $2000-$4000 plus shipping, paint, and installation. But beauty is worth ramen.

I'd soo do that, if it had a stick.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Been there and done that with my GTO.

Not as big a fan of the Holden front on the G8s, though; I like the looks of the Pontiac front better on the VE. Having to swap the hood makes it a lot more expensive than what I'd want to pay, too.

It's cool to see the looks on people's faces when they see that lion on the front, though.

Part of the problem you'd run into, too is the desire to change every part on the car that says G8 or Pontiac. The toughest one to undo on a GTO is the stitching in the seats. You'd have to do the front end, gauges, driver airbag, wheel centers and badges on a G8. The start up screen on the radio also displays an arrowhead so something would have to be done about that. The front end costs a lot, but the rest of the stuff is no fun either. The gauges would be difficult to change since most non-US market cars are set for km/h.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
JHP should be laughing all the way to the bank. This has been posted on Jalopnik and Autoblog. Best advertising I've seen in a while.

If it existed, someone should use the Calais V kit. It would be an awesome sleeper.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I was thinking the same thing about JHP. I got my front end through them, and I have to admit their customer service was very good. They charge a lot for what they sell, though. For small stuff I prefer to get it from either ebay or more directly through a Holden dealer if possible.

The kit is really just Holden parts that we can't get in the states. It'd probably be just as easy to make the car a Calais as it would be to make it an Omega or an SS. The G8 has the dash out of the SS, though, and some of the cars get the stuff out of an SSV.

My mom just got one, and it has all the options, so it's like an SSV, but it's painted a color for a Calais V. I'm not sure where that would leave us, exactly. It'd be nice if we could get some of the stuff the Calais has up here, though. 8 way power seats and memory seats would be nice to have. That and a beige interior would look nice against the Sport Red we have.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Been there and done that with my GTO.

Not as big a fan of the Holden front on the G8s, though; I like the looks of the Pontiac front better on the VE. Having to swap the hood makes it a lot more expensive than what I'd want to pay, too.

It's cool to see the looks on people's faces when they see that lion on the front, though.

Part of the problem you'd run into, too is the desire to change every part on the car that says G8 or Pontiac. The toughest one to undo on a GTO is the stitching in the seats. You'd have to do the front end, gauges, driver airbag, wheel centers and badges on a G8. The start up screen on the radio also displays an arrowhead so something would have to be done about that. The front end costs a lot, but the rest of the stuff is no fun either. The gauges would be difficult to change since most non-US market cars are set for km/h.
You make a good point about having to change the small stuff. The kit sounded cool, but unless you can remove every mention of Pontiac and G8 from the car, it's only going to look weird and ricey. Kind of like putting a Porsche "Turbo" badge on a Honda Civic.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Oh, and looking into it the HSV conversion only includes the front bumper and bonnet. No LED taillights, rear bumper/light caps, side vents or rocker panel. If anyone did the HSV conversion as is listed it would look very odd... at least via Australian eyes.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
You make a good point about having to change the small stuff. The kit sounded cool, but unless you can remove every mention of Pontiac and G8 from the car, it's only going to look weird and ricey. Kind of like putting a Porsche "Turbo" badge on a Honda Civic.
naw, it'd be more like putting Honda badges on a USDM Acura

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
naw, it'd be more like putting Honda badges on a USDM Acura
or Type R badges on a Civic thats really a LX.
Anyways to fully convert the car to a Holden (minus the steering wheel location), wouldnt it cost $10,000? labor included. So that brings up the price of a G8 to $38,000 or so

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.