GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Current Contest #188 and #189: Results & Discussion

I somehow missed posting last week's results (and it had nothing to do with the fact that I came in last!)

Complete breakdown of results:

ICC gets 1st place!

ASPZ28 takes 2nd place.

TBR427 gets 3rd place!

---------

For this week:

Complete breakdown of results:

GT1750 gets 1st place!

Rex Raider takes 2nd place.

tosc gets 3rd place!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Re: Current Contest #188 AND #189: Results & Discussion

Did mine rate so badly because it was from NFS, it wasn't a Corvette hot rod, or something?

It's a shame too because I would've liked to enter it in the Kappa platform comp...

Congrate to everyone though.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I think it didn't rate so high because I don't think that there's a single pixel from the ORIGINAL picture.

·
Registered
41 Posts

I think it didn't rate so high because I don't think that there's a single pixel from the ORIGINAL picture.
Well, some of the background, the wheelbase, tome of the windows, the whit bit, the haunches...may have all been heavily modified...and I'll admit there was a lot of brushing...

·
Registered
170 Posts

I've been looking forward to hearing TBR427's justification for entering this car, although I must say I was very impressed with his use of "some of the background". Particularly that completely black part that made up, well, all of it.

Now what I'm really looking forward to is the reason anybody voted for it. At all.

·
Registered
11,887 Posts

Well I guess TBR427 could have had his car set against a cityscape and then it would have had NO original picture. So lets be thankful for small mercies. :D

BTW TBR427 nice pic, just do something like that in the monthly rendered contest and it will get more love...

I must be getting old. I would freakin’ love to have a car that looked like Rex's last place pic in my collection. What a cool 50's car it would be. Yes ICC's Red Corvette Roadster is a to-die-for street car, but Rex's coupe looks like something Studebaker or Kaiser (see sedan and 'Darrin' convertible) might have made.

;)

·
Registered
9 Posts

First off, thank you to all that voted. This was a quick and very fun chop for me. While working on it, Foose or Boyd never enter my mind. All I thought of was the countless street rod shows that I have attended and what I thought would look good to me. But, shortly after I had completed it, I learned that Boyd Coddington had passed away. Needless to say, he was an inspiration and influence on me and alot of street rodders alike. And while the wheels on this particular Vette are Billet Specialties, it's hard to imagine any billet wheel without Boyd. So I dedicate this one to him. -ICC

·
Registered
41 Posts

I've been looking forward to hearing TBR427's justification for entering this car, although I must say I was very impressed with his use of "some of the background". Particularly that completely black part that made up, well, all of it.

Now what I'm really looking forward to is the reason anybody voted for it. At all.
Well I guess TBR427 could have had his car set against a cityscape and then it would have had NO original picture. So lets be thankful for small mercies. :D

BTW TBR427 nice pic, just do something like that in the monthly rendered contest and it will get more love...
;)
(I've got Elements 2.0 so this might work for you guy with your CSX and better versions, lol)

Ctrl + u, set hue to about -165, and take 5-10% off the saturation. Use the 'Blur more' button to get rid of that nasty noise, and you've got the basis for the chop. There was a lot of transforming to get the colours where they could be used (like the front and behind the front wheel), and brush and smudge the rest of the blue into place.
Grab the white bit, and blur until ALL of the noise is gone. enlarge it so that it fits the side area, and adjust colour/contrast levels (all three). Or you could probably just click auto-levels...

cut and paste bits of the roof, until you get the outlines of the c-pillar and roof. Then it's the same brush-then-smudge combination used before.
The side window was just filled in black (sample taken from said window)

Same goes for the dash, and the front window's black bit. The outline of the front window is a desaturated outline of the corvette front window.

The wheels were a brushed and coloured version of (if I remember corectly) a Bugatti Veyron.

The headlight are made up of all the little chromy bit from around the car, then smooshed into 1 layer and cut into place.

The rear-view mirrors is actually a piece of the bodywork, so there'd be the same colour as well as light/shadows, so it'd look like it's made from the same stuff as the car. Obviously it's been shrunk vertically quite a lot, though.

The wheelbase is the same as the original pic.

Of course then there's the background...

So, yeah...the only thing that didn't come from this car are the rims...and they aren't even the same as their donor image.

The point I'm trying to make is that I wouldn't have been able to make my image if I didn't start with that pic. The colours and textures and proportions and, well, everything wouldn't be close if I'd used something different.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Thanks guys this was my first entry and i appreciate everyone who voted for me!
Did anyone notice the lingenfelter badge(emblem) on the fender haha ;) i think its sexy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts