1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
Who??

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
The only reason Saturn still exists is because it was cheaper to kill Olds than Saturn. And Oldsmobile had OLD in it's name, which didn't help it's case.

The old Saturn is dead...long live Saturn, I guess. :eek:

I love Saturn, presonally. My mom has one. I've owned one myself. My sister has had 3. Some of my best friends work or have worked at the local Saturn dealership...but in all honesty, it's the one division GM needs the least right now. Chevy could have a couple of re-badged Opels if needed. Killing off Saturn and GMC would not be a bad idea IMO.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
I've never heard that Olds was cheaper to kill. It seems it would be more expensive with the more dealers. Is it because Saturn stores were/are usually independent?
There were very few independant Oldsmobile dealers that GM had to fully buy out. Most of them were Chev Olds and often Cadillac. Losing one of 3 or more brands is not such a big deal, especially when the partner is Chevrolet. Virtually all Saturn stores in the US were independant. In Canada they were paired with Saab and Isuzu at the time and those brands are not high volume sellers.

Canyonaro said:
This last weekend I test drove...a Sky Turbo X.
A what? :confused: I think you mean a Sky RedLine, because there is no such thing as a Sky Turbo X to the best of my Saturn knowledge. :think:

mgescuro said:
If people are "unaware" that these new cars are "Saturn," then there is something inherently wrong with GM's marketing of these vehicles!
Once the "new face" of Saturn debuted, then a marketing campaign to introduce it to America should have been launched and appropriately measure to judge its effect. Didn't GM do this?
Sure they did. But they did it a little late and highlighted their lack of introduction with the campagin itself...don't you remember? "That's a Saturn?" :eek: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
And then what did they follow it up with? Nothing. All of a sudden, you got the "Rethink" campaign... which had to be revised...
Ya, it was Rethink American...until t hey realized the VUE was going to be built in Mexico (though, technically part of North America) and their new compact was being imported from Belgium...whoops.
Even using the vaunted Donny Deutch... GM and Saturn somehow stumbled...
Who??

Seriously this time. I have no idea who that is. :confused:

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
Not Rethink American. Saturn's image has never been about being American and the American way. I did like the Rethink Status part of the commercial. But they should have merged that with the "Like Always" campaign.
It most certainly was originally intended as an all American apple pie, stars and stripes kind of company. They highlighted their plant in Springhill TN. I think most of the suppliers were domestic, or Canadian (some don't consider us Domestic for some reason), they talked about their great UNION contract (which turned out to be a joke). They were all about being as American as can be...so it's kind of funny that to this day some people still think it's a Japanese or other import brand. They didn't believe that a US car company could start up in the '90s, so they must be foreign. A running joke (though based on fact) is that junk yards typically put Saturns "in with the other imports." If anything "Rethink American" would have been a good tag line for the company 15 years ago to go along with the "Different kind of car, Different kind of company."

Paul brought up a good point in that most S class people have probably moved to Asian or Euro car companies already. I think GM noticed that, which is why they are making cars like the Aura, Vue, while making cars like the Astra and Sky to help keep the cool and fun look of Saturn.
If you go over to SaturnFans.com it seems more like everyone that had an S-series and loved it...still has it. Or many are hoarding them and have multiple S-series cars. They are loveable little cars. Some moved up to an ION. Some were satisfied, some were not. Those that went for the L-series were hugely disappointed, however. Some went on to the VUE and those were quite popular and brought in many new customers. The S-series owners can sometimes be even cultish. Several have racked up 300,000+miles with ease. The cars are incredibly simple to work on. Even an novice can do all of the maintenance items with a little guidance. The new Saturn and the old Saturn have essentially nothing in common. That is kind of sad, but the old Saturn was not really that sustainable, was it? Maybe it could have been had they actually changed the product more than 3 times in 11 year. That was one of the promises; with the space frame and removable panels, styling changes would be easier. They were not done, however. The styling was only changes a total of 3 times in 11 years. The engines remained essentially the same throughout that time as well. The difference between a 1992 SL1 and a 2002 SL1 are mostly cosmetic. GM basically left Saturn on the vine to rot.
L So now they’re trying to re-invent it, but they can’t really bank on the old image, since it has nothing at all to do with the current image. The only similarity is that it’s an import fighter brand, but now instead of the Japanese, they’re targeting the European imports, like VW.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
Yup it is a version of the Sky Redline. Supposed to have 300+ hp, I will look into it to see what it consists of. Quite the fun car though.

EDIT: Ok I found out that it was a Sky Redline that of course the dealer did add a few things to (utah saturn dealers). First of course they chipped the car, added a cold air intake and a big intercooler on with of course new wheels and a racing stripe. How they came up with 300+ hp out of that 2.0l ecotec I will have to ask. They have 2 on the lot that go for $31,000.
Oh, so it was a Dealership special. I can see that, but I haven't heard anything abot a factory set-up like that.

I think Saturn should use this ad to stir up the media and get themselves talked about...:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts