GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Article here.

A friend of mine submitted this to consumerist about a month ago and it took a little pushing to get some attention from them, but they finally picked it up. He is one of the many owners of the Si with the transmission problem and Honda has been blatantly ignoring him. I've heard the phone calls he has made with Honda customer support and watched him complain like crazy at Honda dealerships. No one has any information ever. This really sucks. Even I expected Honda to be all over this and have it fixed by now and his is only 2 months old.

He thinks Consumerist is ignoring his complaint because his car is an import. I found that kind of funny. So after a little arguing with the editor it finally got posted. Consumerist has a large audience, he is hoping Honda might finally say enough and fix this issue.

·
Registered
327 Posts
If this were GM instead of Honda, this would have been all over every news media outlet so fast it would have caused a sonic boom.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If this were GM instead of Honda, this would have been all over every news media outlet so fast it would have caused a sonic boom.
Can we stop with the "Oh poor GM, everybody hates us!" For every epidemic problem with a Honda or Toyota there's about 15 with a domestic. So stop.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Incorrect statistical analysis. I'm sure you're just blinded by all Dat sun in your eyes.
Clever retort, I must say. And i was obviously exaggerating, but there's no denying that domestics have more mechanical problems than Japanese makes several times over. Read Consumer Reports, Motor Trend, Road & Track, Edmunds.com, etc...
I just think it's funny that people can bash the hell out of Japanese makes (to which I will admit I am partial...just read my sig) on this site, but when a domestic is called into question, the speaker OBVIOUSLY doesn't know what he's talking about...
I will be the first to admit I always have and probably always will drive Japanese or possibly German, but I can also admit when Detroit does something right. The new Malibu, for example, is one hell of a car. It would be the best family sedan on the market if Honda didn't perfect the new Accord (and I don't like Hondas). The current-gen Silverado is probably the best half-ton ever built. But there is no denying that Detroit still has a long way to go if it wants to build cars on the same level as the guys in Japan.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
You just happen to have a resident Si owner with the exact same problem. I have spearheaded a lot of efforts on 8thCivic.com. I've uploaded the bulletin that recommended for "notchy" transmissions to replace with new MTF, I've organized case file numbers (Honda's customer care kept saying "we've never heard of this" over and over.).

In fact, it was so bad, the bitch that I dealt with twice closed my case before ever even talking to me.

I finally got my third gear to literalyl pop out on the dealership after the twentieth time. I spent six hours at the dealer today getting rattles and other **** taken care. The car has been babied with 20,000 loving miles and it feels like it is six times the age.

It's a pleasure to drive, but no care, foreign or domestic, shuold have to have their tranny overhauled at 20,000 miles. That's just freaking pathetic. Even my Hodna dealer said "Sell the car now."

I've had my eye on a top of the line Aurora Blue Mazda3 GT sedan. The price is certainly right. The only options are the moonroof/bose (has xenon and etc.) and they want $19,300 for it. Brand new.

I'll be saying good-bye to this car. In theory, this car was a great one. I love the driving dynamic, and while it's not as fast as the competition, it's more fun to drive, if you ask me. I get looks and compliments everywhere I go, though I question whether it is because of the paint job or the car itself.

But for me, at least, these problems are unacceptable. Over 20 rattles fixed (and they keep coming), the cowl replaced due to peeling, wiper arm replaced due to chipping to bare metal, seats are worn and discolored as are the arm rests, it's impossible to drive it in cold weather, among a slew of other things.

We've been fighting Honda tooth and nail over this **** for years, and they are JUST starting to take notice. The NHTSA has had records on this problem for all three model years it has been out, as has Edmunds. Several notable long-term test vehicles were all experiencing the same **** with the transmission.

That wasn't good enough for Honda. It's a damn shame. The Civic has the potential to be a fantastic car. My technician said that they spent so much money on the design of the car, they had nothing left because there is utterly NO insultation or padding under any of the plastic.

Honda truly has lost sight. I have never had a worse time with customer service in my life. Kenitra at American Honda was the most unfriendly, rude, unhelpful, stubborn bitch I've ever had to deal with in my life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSZukst5Ni8

Take a look at that. That's what my friend on the Civic forum's is doing, as is a ton of others. Still, over on the forums we've got the dumb *******s who think it's driver's error. This has been a widespread complaint on EVERY Honda/Acura 6MT vehicle they make. It's been going on for almost a decade.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Never seen the problem first hand yet. This is at a relatively high volume dealer.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNOQHAVsbhE

Just an update, despite my thread below:
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/civic-si/78710-transmission-american-honda-case-number-files.html

We are still getting the run around. People at American Honda are telling us they have STILL never heard of it, and that there is no such fix coming and that if we can't get the dealer to replicate it, it doesn't exist.

Despite Sage Marie, a high up in American Honda, and my own lowly Honda technician having found something on ISIS (their computer) and their Honda Tech Line, Honda CLEARLY has not cared enough about this MASSIVE issue to bother informing people at all levels about what it is going on.

I am getting so ******* sick and tired of this. A transmission that literally pops out of gear after being engaged? If this were GM, they'd have been sued up the ass six ways from Sunday, yet we can't even seem to get Honda to listen to us.

Corrupt bull**** corporations...

·
Registered
4,572 Posts

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/civic-si/78710-transmission-american-honda-case-number-files.html

We are still getting the run around. People at American Honda are telling us they have STILL never heard of it, and that there is no such fix coming and that if we can't get the dealer to replicate it, it doesn't exist.

Despite Sage Marie, a high up in American Honda, and my own lowly Honda technician having found something on ISIS (their computer) and their Honda Tech Line, Honda CLEARLY has not cared enough about this MASSIVE issue to bother informing people at all levels about what it is going on.

I am getting so ******* sick and tired of this. A transmission that literally pops out of gear after being engaged? If this were GM, they'd have been sued up the ass six ways from Sunday, yet we can't even seem to get Honda to listen to us.

All of this reminds me of the seat belt debacle years ago. Their were a number of belt buckle failures on several japanese cars from different manufacturers. What did the Japanese car companies say about that?

Basically, they said it was due to dirt and grime getting caught in the mechanism from slovenly american drivers.

Despite this slap in our face the Japanese manufacturers relented and there was a massive recall. My 1987 Nissan 200SX was included in the recall.

Here is a link to the 1995 recall info:
http://www.seatbeltdefects.com/takata/index.html

·
Banned
17,572 Posts
Honda is very bad about stuff like this.

If they find the issue first they will correct it without a sound. But if it isn't something they found they have a tough time accepting that they caused the problem. Driver error is something I hear a lot from my Honda driving friends when they go to the dealer (as in any problems they have are caused by them and not inherent to the car).

Not even Toyota can get away with such nonsense.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
good, hopefully honda acknowledges it and issues a huge arse recall going back at least 8 years and deals with it. they are not infalliable, they are designed and built by humans and will break.

CobaltSS

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Acknoweldge the problem, fix it.........then suck it up & deal with the bad publicity already!! The longer you wait Honda, the worse it'll be in the long run......

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Acknoweldge the problem, fix it.........then suck it up & deal with the bad publicity already!! The longer you wait Honda, the worse it'll be in the long run......
This is the truth. It's the best way to deal with any such problem. Get the problem out into the public. Get those few that are really affected to bring in the bad product(s). Fix the problem. Get it into past history as soon as possible.

The public forgets when it's taken care of right away.

·
Registered
768 Posts

First, the car opening's post video was an accord. This is important because apparently several Honda's have this "problem". Apparently its not mechanical. So Honda won't be having a recall. Honda transmissions are like this, and they have been for a while.
A quick fix is getting a heavier knob and Comptech short shifter. Even just getting the heavier knob will help you. While the SS will completely eliminate the problem. Or you could adapt to using the transmission.

Check out this link, its a forum responses at TOV. I just kind of summerized it.
http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-message?message_id=605059

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
First, the car opening's post video was an accord. This is important because apparently several Honda's have this "problem". Apparently its not mechanical. So Honda won't be having a recall. Honda transmissions are like this, and they have been for a while.
A quick fix is getting a heavier knob and Comptech short shifter. Even just getting the heavier knob will help you. While the SS will completely eliminate the problem. Or you could adapt to using the transmission.

Check out this link, its a forum responses at TOV. I just kind of summerized it.
Sooooo, the solution to the Honda design problem is to modify the car at your own personal expense? You're joking right?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Sooooo, the solution to the Honda design problem is to modify the car at your own personal expense? You're joking right?
It's not the best solution. But Honda has built their manuals like this for years. I remember driving several older Honda product and they a similar issues. Honda probably won't be doing a recall, as they been doing the same shifter style for years. Why it became so pronounced in this gen civic i don't know. Maybe because you have so many younger buyers picking them up.

·
Banned
6,653 Posts

I have a 2002 Accord with a manual transmission and 108,000 miles. I know how manual Honda transmissions act. The issue people are complaining about is not normal. It is a defect. Putting a heavier knob on the shifter would do about as much as putting thicker glasses on a drunk driver.

·
Registered
104 Posts
This is really inexcusable on Honda's part. I think everybody expects more from them than this, especially after the renown reputation for quality they have built up for themselves over the decades. I have friends that have driven the same Hondas for many years without any problems and love them. It's their superb experiences that are now making me seriously consider a new Honda at the moment. It's a shame to see a slip in quality like this. I also have friends that have Malibus and hate them. They have had very bad reliability issues. I try to research everything as carefully as possible before making a purchase. I just want a car that has the best chance of being trouble free.

There are some things that bother me about this issue. The fact that it's not a consistant issue as evidenced by the fact that it happens so rarely that dealers can't replicate it is troubling.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts