GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Highest Scoring American Vehicles

General Motors dominates in the 10 selected categories.

There are many ways to view the Consumer Reports Ratings to find the highest-rated vehicle in a given category or price range. But we get many questions from journalists and our readers regarding the best current American-branded vehicles.

To answer that popular query, we sorted vehicles into 10 key categories. We found that General Motors dominates its crosstown rivals, capturing eight of the 10 slots. Ford Motor Company has two entries, and Chrysler has none.

Reviewing the scores, we find that most of these American models are quite competitive, scoring well in most cases, with a notable weakness in the Small SUV category.

For further analysis, read our blog post “American Top Picks 2008.”

CATEGORY: MODEL - OVERALL TEST SCORE

Sports car: Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (manual) - 92
Sport sedan: Cadillac CTS 3.6 - 84
Family sedan: Chevrolet Malibu LTZ - 83
Luxury sedan: Cadillac STS V6 - 77
Upscale sedan: Lincoln MKZ - 77
Large SUV: GMC Acadia SLT2/Saturn Outlook XE - 76
Midsized SUV: Ford Taurus X - 75
Luxury SUV: Buick Enclave - 75
Pickup truck: Chevrolet Avalanche LT 5.3L V8 - 73
Small SUV: Saturn Vue XR - 57

www.autos.msn.com

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Well, I would say it is safe to say that GM has the best products out of the Big 3...at least by CR's standards.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Well...no duh.
Ford Taurus X is a midsized SUV now?
Lambda's overpower the SUV with 2 of the 3 segments. Midsized SUV still puzzles me.
And something tells me the MKZ is gunna take a drop once LaX/Invicta hits the market.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Good list. The new Lincoln MKZ is a sweet car.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Anyone else find this list a little odd? Not so much the choices, I'm fine with those, but the categories. Family sedan? Luxury sedan? Upscale sedan? These are kind of vague categories. Do they have definitions? Is there a minimum-maximum size? Price range? Is the Ford Taurus in the same category as say, a Dodge Avenger?

I know it's not the big three's strong point, but the list is missing compact cars (unless they lumped those in with family sedans too).

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
Anyone else find this list a little odd? Not so much the choices, I'm fine with those, but the categories. Family sedan? Luxury sedan? Upscale sedan? These are kind of vague categories. Do they have definitions? Is there a minimum-maximum size? Price range? Is the Ford Taurus in the same category as say, a Dodge Avenger?

I know it's not the big three's strong point, but the list is missing compact cars (unless they lumped those in with family sedans too).
Most compact domestic cars arent even on the recommended list.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts