GM Inside News Forum banner

Considering the General......

2K views 38 replies 15 participants last post by  Xenon 
#1 ·
I am possibly considering buying a GM product. This goes against my tradition of buying all Fords in the past, but the Excursion is getting some mileage on it and with a young family, it does not need to be front line with 150k on it. So I went looking. To my disappointment, Ford dropped the Excursion in '05. I do not trust used vehichles so the Excursion option is gone:(:mad:

I really didn't like the Suburban when I got the Excursion back in '03 but the new one is supposed to be a lot better. How does it compare to the Excursion? Any personal experienses and or info will be appreciated and thanks!

T.J.

#2 ·
My family and I took a GM-owned company Suburban on a 5500 mile vacation. It was the best vehicle that we could have gotten. We were only gone for 13 days so we spent a lot of time in it. There is tons of room front and rear. There is an ungodly amount of cargo room if you fold up the third row. We had an LTZ so it was pretty decked out, but the 5300 still got 17.5 MPG on the trip. That is almost all highway though. It handles really well for the size of vehicle and the seats are very comfortable. I think that it is far superior to anything else its size.

Hope this helps.

#3 ·
Have you looked at the Expedition EL? I know it's not as tough as an Excursion (it's 1/2 ton based, when the Excursion is 3/4 ton based).....how ever if you're not doing any serious towing it might work for you.

Personally having spent a lot of time in 2008 Suburbans and Expeditions, I really prefer the Suburbans. Keep in mind I haven't sampled a 2500 Suburban though. Again I don't know how heavy duty you need to go with your purchase. I was shocked the Suburban felt as quick/strong (even with its 5.3 V8 and 4AT as the standard Expedition with 5.4 and 6AT). Neither is as quick or strong as my Armada though....but I do like the GMT-900's a lot! ;)

#8 ·
Interior Dimensions 2003 Ford Excursion
Headroom
1st Row 41.0
2nd Row 41.1
3rd Row 38.6
Shoulder room
1st Row 68.3
2nd Row 67.0
3rd Row 64.9
Hip room
1st Row 67.5
2nd Row 66.9
3rd Row 52.5
Legroom
1st Row 42.3
2nd Row 40.5
3rd Row 39.0

Interior Dimensions 2009 Chevy Suburban 2500
Headroom
1st Row 41.1
2nd Row 38.5
3rd Row 38.1
Shoulder room
1st Row 65.3
2nd Row 65.2
3rd Row 64.7
Hip room
1st Row 64.4
2nd Row 61.8
3rd Row 49.4
Legroom
1st Row 41.3
2nd Row 39.5
3rd Row 34.9

Without a doubt the Excursion is bigger than the newer Suburban.

#18 ·
Sprinter is rated to tow 5k lbs if I recall correctly

#20 ·
If you're patient, wait for MY2011, when Ford will have a 4.4L diesel available in the Expedition.

I never thought I'd see the day when an Expedition EL/Suburban weren't big enough.

#22 ·
Hehe my brother has an '08 Sprinter, single rear wheels but a 2500 in the longest and tallest configuration...it's narrow but its huge inside.

#23 ·
why not a conversion van? my family has a 02 or so ram 1500 van that we've taken to florida numerous times- sucking in all the luggage for a family of 7 (even when 2 of which were in diapers). do they make 3/4 ton versions of those? why not i ask. the chevy express seems real nice as well.

#24 ·
Hmm yeah, do they make 3/4 ton conversion vans? You could get the Duramax or Powerstroke but I believe both are detuned from their truck versions and the Duramax still has the 4 speed, I believe due to size

#28 ·
And what? Lose all off road capability. That is why I went with the Excursion 4x4 diesel. Plenty of power and plenty of off road capability to get the job done. A van would be little more then a concrete hugger. With towing the horses and an occasional boat, as well as the vacation house, I don't need something that has to stay on hard surface if it rains. I'm going to stick with the SUV on this one but at least you all tried. Now, which SUV?

#32 ·
If the Excursion is all that will do and it was retired in 05 that is an extremely sad statement! Why even retire it if nothing could step up and take its place? Why don't they offer a diesel 4x4 large SUV? Anybody? Worst yet, Ford had it and dropped it!

And Smaart Aas Saabr, how do you suppose you are going to park the trailer around the back of the barn and get things from the storage shed where there is no 'dirt road'? I assure you, a 2WD van would stick up fast, you need a 4x4 of some sort

#34 ·
And Smaart Aas Saabr, how do you suppose you are going to park the trailer around the back of the barn and get things from the storage shed where there is no 'dirt road'? I assure you, a 2WD van would stick up fast, you need a 4x4 of some sort
No I mean it will be fine on a dirt road, I mean I don't know the terrain around your barn and storage shed but where I am I don't have any issues with even a car... or 2wd pickup getting the trailer etc etc

I like to race cars on dirt roads :drive:

Now when there is a foot +of snow on the ground, but even then the 4x4 truck is also stuck, need to get a plow :lmao:

Now the 4x4 tractor, that will go through anything, 4 feet of snow, "brooom!" it goes on top :yup:

4 wheel drive really only seems to be necessary for really bad mud or snow, if you can walk on the ground fine the 2wd is fine

#35 ·
I now know what you need to be able to tow and so a Sprinter really wouldn't be a consideration, but the lack of off road capability on a van-argument doesn't go far, look up Quigley...

#36 ·
Rest assured that if there are not 4 wheels pulling, even Quigley would stick up at the horse farm. We dump manuer around the woods line and when it rains, it gets really soupy. If it wasn't for the four wheel drive, we would not be able to cross it to get through it. I like that you can get a diesel in the vans, but the lack of 4x4 makes it useless to me.

#38 · (Edited)
but the Quigley's are 4x4...gee I come up with a full size van with enough room, a turbo diesel to tow your horse trailer, AND 4 wheel drive and I'm still shut down

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.