GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I browse here from time to time, but now have a need to ask the those who are more well informed than I.

A friend's mother is looking for a car to replace her Corsica. She's looking at a 2001 Malibu with about 35,000 miles on it.

Is there anything that she should be aware with this particular car. The biggest thing a saw complaints about were the brakes.

If she decided to get an extended warranty, (3/36 bumper to bumper or just Engine, Trans and AC) what would be a reasonable price for the warranty.

She's got no problem with the dealership making a profit, but she's on a pretty tight budget. I know that there can be a considerable markup with extended warranties.

Thank you in advance,
Chris

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Originally posted by DaytonaES@Mar 31 2004, 05:20 PM
Hi all,

I browse here from time to time, but now have a need to ask the those who are more well informed than I.

A friend's mother is looking for a car to replace her Corsica.  She's looking at a 2001 Malibu with about 35,000 miles on it.

Is there anything that she should be aware with this particular car.  The biggest thing a saw complaints about were the brakes.

If she decided to get an extended warranty, (3/36 bumper to bumper or just Engine, Trans and AC) what would be a reasonable price for the warranty.

She's got no problem with the dealership making a profit, but she's on a pretty tight budget.  I know that there can be a considerable markup with extended warranties.

Thank you in advance,
Chris
Chris,

From a warranty perspective, I recently purchased an '02 Montana w/26k miles from a Pontiac dealership(It has the same 3.4L engine as the Malibu). I purchased a GM Valueguard extended warranty which covers 6 years or 100,000 miles, $250.00 deductable. It cost me about $3,000.00.

It's a crap shoot buying extended warranties. You may need it or not.....

I am concerned about independant warranty providers as a friend of mine was stung recently when the warranty underwriter for his Chevy truck went bankrupt. He's out $1000.00.

Sorry to ramble. Just my $.02.....

Ken

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Originally posted by DaytonaES@Mar 31 2004, 05:20 PM
Hi all,

A friend's mother is looking for a car to replace her Corsica. She's looking at a 2001 Malibu with about 35,000 miles on it.

Is there anything that she should be aware with this particular car. The biggest thing a saw complaints about were the brakes.

She's got no problem with the dealership making a profit, but she's on a pretty tight budget. I know that there can be a considerable markup with extended warranties.

Thank you in advance,
Chris
I've got a 01 cavalier and I bought the extended warranty I think it is 85000 miles and another 36 months and it cost me about 1500. I bought it through the chevy dealership. Don't know what you are paying for it but there are pretty good deals out there for 02s and some 03s with less miles. I can't really compare though cause don't know what you're paying and where you are. Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
stick with the gm warranty - some of the others (warranty gold) have had money problems which have lead to people getting stuck with a worthless warranty!

call around for better prices on warranties. all gm dealerships can sell the gm warranty for any gm car and they have a wide range of prices. $3k for a warranty with a $250 deductible is ridiculous. for my silverado, my 5/100k gm major guard (covers almost everything) with $0 ded was only around $1750 - and a silverado has a lot of more expensive parts (4wd) than a montana does.

Ken - you got taken bad on that warranty. If it is recent enough to back out of it - do it and shop around. You should be able to get a Majorguard with a much lower deductible for a fraction of what you paid...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info.

I've heard bad things about 3rd party warranties and would only stick with one from GM.

Chris

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Originally posted by DaytonaES@Mar 31 2004, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the info.

I've heard bad things about 3rd party warranties and would only stick with one from GM.

Chris
I had a friend who had problems with third party warranties. I'd stay away from them.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Originally posted by kmacleod+Mar 31 2004, 12:54 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kmacleod @ Mar 31 2004, 12:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-DaytonaES@Mar 31 2004, 05:20 PM
Hi all,

A friend's mother is looking for a car to replace her Corsica.  She's looking at a 2001 Malibu with about 35,000 miles on it.

Is there anything that she should be aware with this particular car.  The biggest thing a saw complaints about were the brakes.

She's got no problem with the dealership making a profit, but she's on a pretty tight budget.  I know that there can be a considerable markup with extended warranties.

Thank you in advance,
Chris
Chris,

From a warranty perspective, I recently purchased an '02 Montana w/26k miles from a Pontiac dealership(It has the same 3.4L engine as the Malibu). I purchased a GM Valueguard extended warranty which covers 6 years or 100,000 miles, $250.00 deductable. It cost me about $3,000.00.

I am concerned about independant warranty providers as a friend of mine was stung recently when the warranty underwriter for his Chevy truck went bankrupt. He's out $1000.00.

Ken [/b][/quote]
In Connecticut, if a dealer sells you a warranty from a third-party company, and that company goes bell-up, the dealer by law has to pay for the repairs that would have fallen under warranty.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Originally posted by cyboexpo2002+Apr 1 2004, 12:13 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (cyboexpo2002 @ Apr 1 2004, 12:13 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 31 2004, 12:54 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-DaytonaES
@Mar 31 2004, 05:20 PM
Hi all,

Thank you in advance,
Chris

Chris,

Ken
In Connecticut, if a dealer sells you a warranty from a third-party company, and that company goes bell-up, the dealer by law has to pay for the repairs that would have fallen under warranty. [/b][/quote]
I'd still only buy a GM warr.

·
Registered
1 Posts
:D Well...I've purchased 1 new car warranty from an auto company (Ford) on a 1988 (Mustang GT) and it was the last auto company warranty I purchased. I recall paying ~$1,200.00 in 1988.

Since then, I've bought three (3) 6yr/100,000 warranties from MBADirect (they are essentially an "administrator" and not the actual insurance company) on a 1992 Pontiac Grand Prix (Richard Petty Edition); a 1994 Ford Ranger STX Ext. Cab 4x4; and a 1998 Lincoln Mark VIII LS.

I've had GREAT success with all three warranties with the exception of having to "argue" over the acceptance of my warranty with the dealership service people. The service people always argue that the "non-auto company" warranty companies are slow, hard to work with, etc.

After ALL the service technicians (i.e., ~5 different dealerships) "actually" contacts my warranty company, they have always said "yah...your warranty company was good to work with...their phone did just ring forever with no one picking up, they gave me a credit card number and I got an authorization promptly, etc."

If I take my car to a dealership that "refuses" to accept my warranty, it's my option to have the repair done and pay up front with reimbursement after the repair (as long as the dealership is willing to call and get a repair authorization number PRIOR to doing the repair) OR go somewhere else and have the repair done.

I've only had 1 dealership actually REFUSE to accept payment from my warranty company and that dealership tried ripping my off so it's no wonder they wouldn't accept my warranty (i.e., the warranty company KNOWS how much a repair COSTS such as how much the parts costs, how many labor hours the repair should take, AND what a fair price for the repair should be).

The REALLY great things about MBADirect is they only use A+ rated insurance companys (heritage, etc.) and the warranty STARTS when you buy the policy (i.e., the policy on my 98 Mark VIII was bought in 2002 and runs until 2008 OR until 100,000 miles...so I've essentially had a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty for ~$1,200.00 because the first 4 years of ownership were covered by Lincoln).

Oh...the deductable is $100.00 (used to be $25) and the price on a Malibu Maxx is ~ $1,1100.00 and a Chevy Colorado (crew-cab 2x2) is $921.00. Yes...my warranty is a bit more of a "hassle", but it's been a great warranty and NOW I finally KNOW exactly how to handle any repair situation that comes up SO it's not so much a hassle and I get a super long warranty and I don't pay an arm and a leg for it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts