·
Premium Member
7,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New LS3 Engine To Power HSV From April

Holden Special Vehicles
26 March 2008
www.hsv.com.au

Holden Special Vehicles today announced a running change to its award winning E-Series and WM Grange vehicles, with the new GM LS3 engine to be fitted across the range for cars on-sale from April.

The upgrade will see the ClubSport R8, GTS, Senator Signature, Maloo R8 and WM Grange's power output rise to 317kW.

Managing Director Scott Grant said the new engine was a welcome upgrade to the range of vehicles from Australia s luxury and performance car maker.

"We know our customers want the latest and greatest technology in their cars," Scott Grant said.

"The General Motors LS3 engine continues the HSV tradition of scouring the world for technological advancements to enhance the driving experience."

It is built by General Motors Powertrain in North America and is available in the current Chevrolet Corvette. It will also be the engine used in the new Pontiac GXP, to be built by Holden in Elizabeth from the end of 2008 and exported to the United States.

The HSV LS3 engine has a capacity of 6.2 litres, producing 317kW of power at 6000rpm and 550NM of torque at 4600 rpm, as fitted to the HSV range.

Despite the power output increase, the new engine will deliver a slight improvement in fuel economy for Maloo R8 and WM Grange, while the short wheel base models return figures of 14.5 litres per 100km, as opposed to 14.4ltr/100km for E-Series LS2, in automatic mode.

Production of the new LS3 range begins this month and is available in dealerships from April. Vauxhall s VXR8 and the CSV R8, sold in the United Kingdom and Middle East respectively, will also receive the LS3 engine in 2008. New Zealand launches the LS3 engine with a limited edition Murph pack themed ClubSport R8 and Maloo R8.

HSV have released a new colour palette to coincide with the engine upgrade and for the first time WM Grange and Senator Signature will be available in Red Hot . Automatic transmission coolers are standard across the upgraded range.

HSV will also introduce a new 20 inch wheel option across its fleet, including Grange, Senator Signature and ClubSport R8.

The wheel is a $2500 option for those customers and a no-cost option for GTS and Maloo R8 performance pack purchasers.

HSV Gets New 6.2-Litre V8

Toby Hagon
26 March 2008
www.drive.com.au

More power and performance promise to give HSV the performance edge in the Australian muscle car market.

A new 6.2-litre V8 for the HSV range will give the Holden performance car brand a power edge over arch rival FPV.

HSV has announced it is adopting the US-sourced 6.2-litre V8 – codenamed LS3 – for its range of locally-produced muscle cars.

The new LS3 V8 develops 317kW of power, a mere 2kW more than the 315kW produced by the upcoming FPV GT.

The new V8 will be available across the HSV range, which includes the Maloo R8 ute , ClubSport R8, GTS, Senator Signature and Grange.

Like the soon-to-be-replaced 6.0-litre LS2 V8 the new V8 is sourced from the US, where GM recently announced it would be fitted to the Australian-made Pontiac G8 GXP. The engine is also used in the Chevrolet Corvette.

Click here to continue article

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Re: Confirmed: LS3 To Replace LS2 Across The Entire HSV E-Series Range

Sweet, but really they had to eventually. it's good to keep that gap between HSV and SSV.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts

So does that mean Holden will swap to the (is it L98 6.0 with dod??) I wonder if Holden have considered swapping over to the smaller 5.3 with DOD given higher fuel prices.

Has GM got the cylinder deactivation for the 3.6 yet?? Any one know which is cheaper to put on a car, DOD or DI? both would be nice for the V6 and V8 but as long as they have at least one soon

·
Registered
1,065 Posts

wonder how many idiots will be putting chev badges on their HSV's now :(

·
Registered
13,164 Posts

I had a worked LS6 in my 01 z06 and now have an ls3 in my new C6 and hot dam if this LS3 isn't one of the most amazing powerplants available today. (especially for the money)

This thing has torque all over the powerband and its a blast.

Holden is doing the right thing dropping that LS3 in its products.

I had a tough time deciding between the LS7 and the LS3 corvette. The LS3 was so amazing (especially for the price) I had to go with the LS3 as I bought my new vette.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

FYI 317kw = 425HP. Would that somehow outpower the G8 GXP, or do we think that will be the final rating that is "over 400 hp" and is now listed as 402 hp? Hopefully GM can spread the wealth with each new engine or technoligy to each brand more quickly these days. The LS7 never made it into anything outside of the Vette, I sure hope the LS9 or LSA can find a home outside of Corvette and the CTS-V before they are gone forever.

·
Banned
2,267 Posts

So is this worthy of confirmation that the Camaro's V8 will be the LS3?

·
Registered
675 Posts

For anybody wondering about the lower output of the LS3 in the HSV's:

HSV has rated the LS3 at 317kW (10kW increase over the LS2 and 47kW over the L98) however the torque still remains at 550Nm (no change from LS2, 20Nm over the L98). Its slightly unfortunate because torque was expected to rise to around 580Nm but HSV has stated that 550Nm is as close to the threshold (that they are willing to tread) that the transmissions (man and auto), driveshaft etc can manage as these components haven't been modified at all. When the models receive their first freshen late '08 - early '09 they said the LS3 can be upped in power and torque if they toughen up the componentry. So because they reigned in torque, this in turn, reigned in power.

This is because HSV use better transmissions than the Corvette but they are rated at a lower kW and Nm rating.

Advantages are that the LS3 has a much flatter power curve so its delivery is much nicer. It sounds better both at the front and the rear (engine/exhaust) and its fuel consumption is said to be an improvement!!! over the LS2 (i'll have to see that to believe it).

This LS3 looks to be a ripper. Its good that HSV are keeping the power stakes on their side, for a while it looked like the FPV GT was going to surpass it with 315kW, but no longer is that the case. But the FPV F6 might have 575Nm which is a worry. But I still reckon the HSV's will be faster.

·
Registered
675 Posts

So is this worthy of confirmation that the Camaro's V8 will be the LS3?
It's very likely the LS3 will be in the Camaro as the LS2 ceased production mid last year. Its a sad moment in GM history that the LS2 is gone because it was a brilliant engine but the LS3 looks to be an excellent replacement.

·
Registered
675 Posts

FYI 317kw = 425HP. Would that somehow outpower the G8 GXP, or do we think that will be the final rating that is "over 400 hp" and is now listed as 402 hp? Hopefully GM can spread the wealth with each new engine or technoligy to each brand more quickly these days. The LS7 never made it into anything outside of the Vette, I sure hope the LS9 or LSA can find a home outside of Corvette and the CTS-V before they are gone forever.
HSV has put a modified version of the LS7 in their new W427. Power figures are only estimates at the moment as HSV hasn't released them. Rumours are 370kW (Z06 is 373kW) and 640Nm (Z06 is 635Nm). But more recent rumours suggest they will boost to around 380kW and 645Nm.

www.hsv.com.au/w427

·
Premium Member
7,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

New LS3 Engine To Power HSV From April

Holden Special Vehicles
26 March 2008
www.hsv.com.au

Holden Special Vehicles today announced a running change to its award winning E-Series and WM Grange vehicles, with the new GM LS3 engine to be fitted across the range for cars on-sale from April.

The upgrade will see the ClubSport R8, GTS, Senator Signature, Maloo R8 and WM Grange's power output rise to 317kW.

Managing Director Scott Grant said the new engine was a welcome upgrade to the range of vehicles from Australia s luxury and performance car maker.

"We know our customers want the latest and greatest technology in their cars," Scott Grant said.

"The General Motors LS3 engine continues the HSV tradition of scouring the world for technological advancements to enhance the driving experience."

It is built by General Motors Powertrain in North America and is available in the current Chevrolet Corvette. It will also be the engine used in the new Pontiac GXP, to be built by Holden in Elizabeth from the end of 2008 and exported to the United States.

The HSV LS3 engine has a capacity of 6.2 litres, producing 317kW of power at 6000rpm and 550NM of torque at 4600 rpm, as fitted to the HSV range.

Despite the power output increase, the new engine will deliver a slight improvement in fuel economy for Maloo R8 and WM Grange, while the short wheel base models return figures of 14.5 litres per 100km, as opposed to 14.4ltr/100km for E-Series LS2, in automatic mode.

Production of the new LS3 range begins this month and is available in dealerships from April. Vauxhall s VXR8 and the CSV R8, sold in the United Kingdom and Middle East respectively, will also receive the LS3 engine in 2008. New Zealand launches the LS3 engine with a limited edition Murph pack themed ClubSport R8 and Maloo R8.

HSV have released a new colour palette to coincide with the engine upgrade and for the first time WM Grange and Senator Signature will be available in Red Hot . Automatic transmission coolers are standard across the upgraded range.

HSV will also introduce a new 20 inch wheel option across its fleet, including Grange, Senator Signature and ClubSport R8.

The wheel is a $2500 option for those customers and a no-cost option for GTS and Maloo R8 performance pack purchasers.

·
Premium Member
7,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
FPV F6 With 310kW?

Australian Car Advice
5 April 2008
www.caradvice.com.au

An illustration has appeared on the Australian Ford Forums suggesting the new FG series FPV F6 will sport an incredible 310kW of power from its turbocharged inline-six engine.

If this image is indeed authentic, then the new F6 nudges out the current HSV LS2 range in killerwasps, but remains just shy of the 317kW figure produced by the new LS3.

However with launch control and an overboost facility available on the new F6, straight line performance between the pair is still anyones guess.

·
Registered
713 Posts
There here sold and in dealers.. Was in one today:p:..

Other then motor nothing has changed.

·
Registered
463 Posts

I had a worked LS6 in my 01 z06 and now have an ls3 in my new C6 and hot dam if this LS3 isn't one of the most amazing powerplants available today. (especially for the money)

This thing has torque all over the powerband and its a blast.

Holden is doing the right thing dropping that LS3 in its products.

I had a tough time deciding between the LS7 and the LS3 corvette. The LS3 was so amazing (especially for the price) I had to go with the LS3 as I bought my new vette.
The LS3 really comes alive with a cam, headers and dyno tune! Seems the gains are much better than what you get with the same mods on the LS2.

·
Registered
103 Posts
R THEY GONNA DO A HSV WAGON IF THEY DON'T WHY BUILD THE WAGON. IF THEY DID BUILD IT PUT THE LS3 IN IT AND DO A LUXURY VERSION AND A GTS MODEL AND THEY SHOULD BUILD THE COUPE60 AND DROP A LS9 IN IT AND I HOPE HSV DO A TORANA VERSION WHEN IT COMES OUT WITH A V8 TWIN TURBO HEARS SOME CHOPS I DONE WHAT DO U GUYS THINK

1 - 18 of 18 Posts