GM Inside News Forum banner
101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'm sure that everyone realizes that the production ELR will look somewhat like the concept, except for changes made for the ELR to meet federal safety standards.

My guess is that the windshield will not be as large as the concept and that some type of "B" pillar will be added to meet rollover standards. Swingup doors (Scissor doors?) would be great, but I don't know enough about the difference in structure or weight that might mean they wouldn't be considered.

Clearly, the interior must be outstanding. It must shout, buy me and you will be coddled in luxury and the latest in electronic toys.

It should be interesting!

My biggest problem with something changes is the side mirrors. They will have to facilitate actual mirrors and unless done right (camaro mirrors maybe?) they could look gaudy.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I think the ELR could offer a performance mode that allows the electric motors to be optimized for performance and the gas generator to keep the battery at an optimal state of charge continuously like the Fisker offers.
The Volt already offers a Sport mode, it provides more responsive acceleration than Normal Mode, but can reduce efficiency. I can tell you that even in Normal mode the Volt is a lot of fun to drive aggressively on the throttle, it will push you up against the seat, and snap your passengers heads back if they're not expecting it.

The gas generator, when in extended range mode, provides seamless power to the electric motors and keeps the battery in the optimal state of charge buffer. Depending on what states of charge you are in the buffer, the gas generator may scream pretty loud for a few seconds if you demand a lot of power, but since the electric motors are the ones turning the wheels, it's just instant torque and go, no lag, it's quite amazing.

I'm sure that everyone realizes that the production ELR will look somewhat like the concept, except for changes made for the ELR to meet federal safety standards.

My guess is that the windshield will not be as large as the concept and that some type of "B" pillar will be added to meet rollover standards. Swingup doors (Scissor doors?) would be great, but I don't know enough about the difference in structure or weight that might mean they wouldn't be considered.

Clearly, the interior must be outstanding. It must shout, buy me and you will be coddled in luxury and the latest in electronic toys.

It should be interesting!
My biggest problem with something changes is the side mirrors. They will have to facilitate actual mirrors and unless done right (camaro mirrors maybe?) they could look gaudy.
Both good points, like I said I saw the Converj in person at the autoshow, the level of detail and just it's over all look, it looked ready for production. Safety standards will for sure change a few things, like you said the addition of an actual B pillar, I wonder if they could get away with pillarless doors? For the mirrors, looking at the CTS coupe, it looks fine, I'm sure they wont end up like the euro Camaro mirrors :(

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Grille

·
Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
15,356 Posts
I have driven the Volt, and while it does perform admirably in comparison to the Prius ( what doesn't) it to me would not be adequate in a luxury car.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have driven the Volt, and while it does perform admirably in comparison to the Prius ( what doesn't) it to me would not be adequate in a luxury car.
What do you recommend they improve with Voltec for it to be adequate for a luxury car?

My chevy volt is on order and should be in my hands mid may, but i would trade for this caddy now, great looking car, i am 70 years old and this car would be my last, great way to go
Enjoy the ride!! It's a wonderful car, it will treat you well.

·
Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
15,356 Posts
What do you recommend they improve with Voltec for it to be adequate for a luxury car?

Enjoy the ride!! It's a wonderful car, it will treat you well.
I think that the success of the CT200h , and the spec of the Infiniti LEaf is making me rethink the ELR needing more performance as those cars do not offer more performance than their plebeian platform mates.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I think that the success of the CT200h , and the spec of the Infiniti LEaf is making me rethink the ELR needing more performance as those cars do not offer more performance than their plebeian platform mates.
Perhaps once BMW and Audi come out with their electric vehicles, then we'll have a better idea of what the performance bar for luxury electric vehicles stands.

·
Registered
6 Posts
??????
It's an electric car. What good would a Turbocharged engine do?
Compete with Fisker Karma (or Atlantic) *With the ICE running performance ("Sport") they are quite different. *See highlights. (Volt is 0-60 in 8.9 I think).

Two Driving Modes
[STEALTH mode only uses electric battery]
The Fisker Karma is also the first and only car that allows the driver to manually select all-electric or hybrid-electric drive modes on demand. The default Stealth mode maximizes efficiency, giving the car its greatest range on battery power before activating the gas engine-driven generator to sustain battery charge. In Stealth mode, the Karma can accelerate from zero to 60 mph in 7.9 seconds and achieve a top speed of 95 mph (153 km/h).
More telling of the Karma's acceleration capability and feel, however, is the massive 981 lb.-ft. (1,330 Nm) of peak torque available instantaneously (zero rpm). By comparison, most conventionally-powered luxury sedans develop less than half of that torque and at a much higher rpm. Because the Karma is always driven by its electric motors and a single-ratio transmission/differential combination, the driver always feels powerful, seamless, linear acceleration.

[SPORT mode engages ICE]
With a single pull on the Karma's left-hand steering wheel paddle, the driver can engage Sport mode. With Sport mode engaged, the gasoline engine drives the generator to provide enough electricity for 403 total system horsepower, allowing the Karma to accelerate from zero to 60 mph in just 5.9 seconds and achieve a top speed of 125 mph (201 km/h).
Because of the electric motors' torque characteristics, the Karma will feel even quicker

101 - 108 of 108 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.