GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Cadillac's electrified coupe will share Volt's powertrain, arrive in 2014 as a 2014 model.
www.GMInsideNews.com
April 30, 2012
By: Nick Saporito

Last week GM’s OnStar telematics division accidentally leaked the 2014 GM vehicle roster on their website. Obviously the 2014 roster was a bit early as most of GM’s 2013 models are not even on the streets yet, but nonetheless the OnStar screw-up managed to ignite new speculation about a couple new products. One such product is the Cadillac ELR, the luxury brand’s upcoming extended range electric car.

In August 2011 Cadillac officially announced plans to produce the Converj Concept car, a small coupe wearing a sexy design theme and the Chevrolet Volt’s extended range electric drive system, Voltec. The announcement was reluctant on the part of GM, who was forced into making the ELR official after Green Car Reports obtained leaked information about the car’s production plans. Despite the official announcement, few details on the production version have surfaced. Specifically, the timing of the ELR has been kept under tight wraps, until now.

GMI has been able to confirm with product development sources that OnStar’s flub is correct. The ELR will launch as a 2014 model year vehicle, but production will not begin until very late 2013 calendar year, meaning this will be a late arrival for the 2014 model year.

Additionally, GMI has been able to confirm that the ELR will utilize the exact same Voltec powertrain as the Chevrolet Volt. The Volt is expected to receive several enhancements for the 2014 model year, with those enhancements being carried over to the ELR as well. GMI has not been able to verify the enhancements, however it has been speculated that both Volt and ELR will see larger EV ranges than today’s 30-40 miles.

At the time of publication ELR is expected in coupe form only. Months ago rumors and speculation surfaced about the possibility of other variants, but GMI has confirmed that only the coupe will be produced.

For 2014 model year the ELR will only be sold on the North American market, but expect the ELR to be exported to Europe and China alongside the Volt the following year.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Cool, though I wish it was RWD/R-AWD.

!!!

·
Registered
7,387 Posts
If it looked like that it would sell.
We all know it won't.
Cadillac keeps showing concepts with these more elegant grills and they never show up on the production cars. Still the same gaudy inelegant grill treatments

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
I'd love to know how close the Converj concept is to the production car.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts

!!!
Why would it matter?

A FWD platform allows a car, especially one as small as a Volt/ELR, to have a larger interior over a RWD.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Why would it matter?

A FWD platform allows a car, especially one as small as a Volt/ELR, to have a larger interior over a RWD.
I agree. For the weight/power this car will have (not to mention how it is likely to be driven), there would seem to be no benefit to RWD.

·
Registered
7,170 Posts
FWD is no issue at all for this vehicle. In the future it would be nice to see a RWD (or at least AWD) variant, but for now, why add the weight and design issues until they get to Gen II or Gen III. It's a showcase of technological power - as long as it handles a little better than the current Volt, and has a little higher NVH - it will be a great proposition.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I'm a little surprised that the powertrain will be the same as the Volt. I would have thought the Cadillac version would want to differentiate itself a bit more. This doesn't affect me, as I don't have the resources to buy one, but I do find that a bit puzzling.

·
Registered
343 Posts

!!!
Why? The FWD allows it to have a larger interior and I'm sure the consumer that buys it won't be to concerned over performance. Besides, given what GM has done with recent FWDrivers such as the Regal GS with the Hi-Per Strut system, FWD drive cars have come a long way in the performance area.

It probably won't be the sportiest, BUT considering the type of vehicle it is, a luxuriusly styled (inside & out) extended range ( using ELECTRIC as its primary source of propulsion), coupe from a luxury brand with brand equity and more credibility than other electric vehicle company's that will be offering the same product.

This will be a revolutionary move. The ELR should have debuted before the Volt. I think it would have arrived with better fanfare.

I think the ELR, will be Cadillacs phantom punch if the styling is unchanged.

·
Registered
19,260 Posts
Why would it matter?

It's going to be slower than balls, anyway. You must REALLY be compensating for something if your 8 second 0-60 electric car needs to be RWD. You clearly aren't getting performance, and that's not what it's about. So why bother?

I'm a little surprised that the powertrain will be the same as the Volt. I would have thought the Cadillac version would want to differentiate itself a bit more. This doesn't affect me, as I don't have the resources to buy one, but I do find that a bit puzzling.
I'm surprised, too. I hope it improves its 0-60 time at least by a second. Around the 6 second mark is ideal for this. Also, it should have an overboost function if at all possible.

But that's all in a perfect world. In this world, I'm very eager to see it on lots.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
We all know it won't.
Cadillac keeps showing concepts with these more elegant grills and they never show up on the production cars. Still the same gaudy inelegant grill treatments
Here's hoping that they can keep the grille on the concept since the Volt doesnt require a grill either then there would be no need to change whats on the concept, unless it doesnt meet some saftey criteria.

·
Registered
19,260 Posts
We all know it won't.
Elegant grille?

What car are YOU looking at?

·
Registered
451 Posts
More complexity and cost for two cars that ain't/wont sell/selling. I'm not surprised in the least,this is GM we're talking about.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
GM should never have put the Volt in as a Chevy. It should have been a Cadillac from the very beginning. At this point, why would anyone want to pay a premium that they already are as a Chevy????

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
FWD is no issue at all for this vehicle. In the future it would be nice to see a RWD (or at least AWD) variant, but for now, why add the weight and design issues until they get to Gen II or Gen III. It's a showcase of technological power - as long as it handles a little better than the current Volt, and has a little higher NVH - it will be a great proposition.
Agreed. I have no problem with this being a decked out Volt. It will likely have an advanced CUE system. I would like to see things like Hiperstrut and magnetic ride control to set it apart from the Volt in the handling department. Also would like to see lighting similar to what's found on the XTS, heated and cooled power seats and a sun/moonroof option.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts