GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Source: Automotive News Email Alert

Quote:

SPARTANBURG, South Carolina, USA -- BMW will decide by the end of the year if it will sell engines and other components to rival automakers, Friedrich Eichiner, the carmaker's board member for corporate and brand development, said.

When asked if BMW is talking to General Motors, Daimler and Fiat about supplying engines, Eichiner said: "We are talking with those companies you mentioned."

Selling engines and other components to other automakers is part of BMW CEO Norbert Reithofer's Number One strategic plan to boost the carmaker's profitability.

Until now, the company has not confirmed that it is talking with GM, Daimler and Fiat.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Interesting news. Hopefully this is just limited to diesels. I don't see a real need to buy any gasoline BMW engines.

·
Registered
534 Posts
The hybrid technology BMW has been developing using the wasted heat energy from a gasoline engine's exhaust to heat a steam engine coupled into the drivetrain would be nice to have.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
The 4-cyl diesel used in the Captiva and shortly to appear in the Epica is a GMDAT development with VM Motori. GM does need advanced petrol motors if it is serious about Cadillac being a contender. Buying these in is cheaper than developing.

Alfa and Saab both use GM V6s in their most successful models and no-one complains, the 159 and 9/3 so I don't see why GM can't buy in high tech motors for a small number of vehicles.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Hopefully just diesels, because i dont see the need for any other bmw motor.
You do not see the need for any other bmw engine? How about their twin turbo v-8 great engine. How about twin turbo v-6. It is much faster then 3.6 DI. It has more tourq

·
Registered
913 Posts
I hope GM won't buy V8 engines from BMW. I mean it is very good engine but what does this tell to the buyers. If GM develop engine for Cadillac together with other firms o.k but paying money to competition to use their engine and then going against them. It doesn't sound right. And i don't think that new V8 TT is cheap engine.
Maybe it will work and people won't say that cadillac is just cheaper version of BMW or something like that.
What engine Daimler would buy from BMW?

·
Registered
906 Posts
How about twin turbo v-6. It is much faster then 3.6 DI.
This make absolutely no sense whatsoever. If you're talking about revs, who cares, they aren't F1 engines. If you're talking about the 0-60 times the cars they power do, you're retarded. That's like saying the Corvette's LS3 is better than a (rumored) G8 GXP LS3 because the Corvette is faster. Like the CTS/BMW 3, they are too different types of cars with two different purposes.

·
Registered
913 Posts
You do not see the need for any other bmw engine? How about their twin turbo v-8 great engine. How about twin turbo v-6. It is much faster then 3.6 DI. It has more tourq
Bmw doesn't has V6 in their lineup. It has I6. And there is rumors about V6 TT coming from GM with something like 420 hp so GM doesn't need BMW I6. For now. If GM doesn't cancel that TT V6 also like they did with Ultra V8.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I can't imagine it being a V8 for Cadillac. What's next Chevy buying up Hemi's from Dodge? And GM did just invest in VM Motori, but from what I've heard BMW makes a sweet turbo diesel six. Maybe they'll put some M3 V8's in Opel GT's:)

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Why would BMW sell their V-8's to for Cadillac? That would take auto sales away. The idea of selling motors to GM is for MORE profitability, not make one of your closest competitors better.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
BMW doesn't build a V6, all their 6-cylinders are inline 6's. The GM 3.6DI puts out 304hp/273lbft with no turbos while the BMW I6 twin-turbo makes 300hp/300lbft, so please, tell me how much better it is....go on. I'll wait....:rolleyes: The non-turbo 3.0 BMW I6 makes 230hp/200lbft. Maybe you should stand up, apparently sitting down is muffling your voice, cuz you're talking out your az...as usual.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I've put this on another topic here.
How about this for v8. Concept for now from Melling

I found specification on another forum
Number of Cylinders: 8
Bore: 95mm
Stroke: 88mm
Max V.E: 101%
Inlet Valve Head Dia: 36mm
Exhaust Valve Head Dia: 30mm
Max. Valve Lift: 12mm
Max. engine rpm: 8000
Max piston speed: 76.66ft/sec.
Swept Volume: 4992.11cc
Max. bhp: 580 @7300rpm
Max. torque: 438ft/lbs @ 5400rpm
4 Valves/ Cylinder
2 Camshafts per bank
Timing Drive to Camshafts by gears then chain
Firing order is as 2 four cylinders
Crankshaft is flat plane
8 separate throttle bodies
Full engine management system
The primary construction will be from solid aluminium billet
Crankshaft is steel billet
Conrods are forged steel
Pistons are forged aluminium

Cost will be approx £14,000

I've heard BMW is also working on new I4 with TT so maybe this can also be considered

1 - 20 of 112 Posts