GM Inside News Forum banner

Confirmed: 2009 G8 Gets XM, Bluetooth

17K views 81 replies 54 participants last post by  CATHOLICJACK 
Any word on a 6 speed manual for the GT or base model (heck, even a 5 speed stick for the V6 would be better than nothing). I know most people will be getting the automatic, but the G8 is not a proper revival without one. I'd forgo leather, power locks, windows, etc. in exchange for a stick--just to show how important that is (although I shouldn't have to).

The G8 has a lot of stuff in it that is done right, being the first RWD Pontiac sedan in 20 years, not the least among them. But the purists will want a stick, and right now purists are the only ones who even know or care that Pontiac exists. The CTS is a great car, but it is also a luxury sedan in addition to a sports sedan, so Pontiac would do well to attack the sport sedan angle (which is also the purist angle), and it can't even pretend to do that without a stick. Great job GM. Now finish it.
GT should get the stick in 2009.

Base I don't think ever will.

Interesting. Wondered what was going on with this. Wonder how hard it would be to get the hardware for Nav on the Holden versions to work in the US and then get US maps loaded all as an aftermarket effort?? They let shops install aftermarket nav displays where ever for the most part as far as I know. This would be similar expect you would be using OEM parts in an aftermarket setting?
Aftermarket is one thing, OEM's have tougher regs to meet.

Legally GM cannot have the current LCD screen be a navigation screen. The location of the LCD in the G8 does not pass US DOT regulations for navigation displays. They would have to redesign the center stack in order to provide navigation.
Which might happen with VF.

Thanks for the info - that is helpful to know, although disappointing. I'm guessing that it's too far down in the dash. If the rest of the VE was designed with the US in mind (i.e. gas tank location, crash test compatibility, etc.) I wonder why they dropped the ball on navigation. For a $33k newly-designed car not to offer it from the factory is surprising. The GMT900s with navigation really seem to have it low on the center stack, making me move my eyes off the road more than I'd like. The G

What's VF? Is that the next update of the VE, like an MCE?

Man, I've been out of the loop for too long.

I wonder if I can talk my wife into a V8.
Holden apparently does three releases per major platform.

So VE will span VF and VG.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.