GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
This sounds like Nummi:

I asked Jason whether or not the manufacturers of domestic or import cars look at their competitor's vehicles in order to improve their own. "I remember one domestic company that I worked with, they did," he says.
"They were actually looking at how the import car company did things and adopting some of the ideas." Jason explained that in this case, both the manufacturers of the domestic and import cars shared the same plant and assembly line, making the same car under two different names.
"I watched the cars go down the line and then split at the end just before they put the wheels on and all the little cosmetic stuff. One went to the left and one went to the right."
(Editors Note: We would like to point out that in today's competitive automotive market it is common for automakers to look at each others cars and gain insight. In this case both cars were on the same assembly line and were more than likely co-engineered. We bet the domestic and import companies learned from each other equally.)
When asked how consumers can get the best price considering both cars were built from the same plant with just different names, Jason says, "It's so hard because so much goes into the price of the car. Some of it's just a name, just branding."
He told me that the import car company knew they could charge more for the import cars because of their reputation.
(Editors Note: Consumers should be aware. Obviously some vehicles are built on the same platform and assembled together, then sold under different brands. These types of vehicles should have the same quality regardless of a domestic or import badge, but you may pay a premium for the import version. You'll have to decide if the higher price is worth the different sales and service experience at the dealership.)

·
Banned
8,969 Posts
^ I thought that as well.

Not one sentence of this surprises me. Hopefully the old Big 3 have changed this mentality now, but they've still got some improving to do.

·
Registered
962 Posts
So in general its not the line workers or engineers that contribute to quality issues--it's management not listening and/or taking action on issues that are brought to their attention.

I see that in my line of work all the time--you bring up suggestions for improvement and it either falls on deaf ears or you are just beaten into submission until you just let it go.

·
Banned
8,969 Posts
So in general its not the line workers or engineers that contribute to quality issues--it's management not listening and/or taking action on issues that are brought to their attention.
That's the majority of GM's problems. The vehicles are put together fine, it's the quality of materials and design that's lacking. My truck is awesome, but the plastic is as cheap as possible. Creaking and moaning has alot to do with the low quality materials IMO.

·
Banned
1,083 Posts
That's the majority of GM's problems. The vehicles are put together fine, it's the quality of materials and design that's lacking. My domestic truck is awesome, but the plastic is as cheap as possible. Creaking and moaning has alot to do with the low quality materials IMO.
Lol, then how do you explain this?:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts