·
Premium Member
7,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Audi RS6 Takes On Super-Wagon Rivals

Joshua Dowling
1 November 2008
www.drive.com.au

You could spend $270,000 on Audi's new high-performance wagon, or put the family into something more affordable. JOSHUA DOWLING weighs up the options.

It's not an easy task to make wagons look cool. Where a four-wheel-drive tells the world, "I can escape this mess if I want to," (even though it's stuck in the same traffic jam as you), a wagon usually screams, "I'm stuck with screaming kids, macaroni cheese, soccer and netball runs for the next decade or so."

Or, if it's a white Falcon wagon, "I work for Telstra."

Someone, somewhere inside a car company was clearly troubled by this dilemma. Wagons are incredibly practical, yet their image comes with plenty of baggage - pun intended.

So what would happen, say, if you fitted a massive V10 engine similar to that used in a Lamborghini supercar and squeezed it under the bonnet of a wagon? And then added two turbochargers for good measure?

You could call it a good start. You could also call it an Audi RS6 Avant. The world's most powerful wagon went on sale locally this week priced from $270,000. It has an incredible 426 kW of power - or in baby boomer language, 580 horsepower.

At the moment there's nothing quite like it, which is a bit of an understatement.

So we assembled three other fast family freighters that are slightly more affordable - each about a quarter of the price of the Audi. In fact, you could buy all three of these and they would still cost less than just one RS6.

Even though these vehicles are very different from each other, they all combine wagon practicality with blistering performance and superior road holding.

And, it's safe to say, they ought to get the kids to school on time. Here's how they compare.

Click here to continue article

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well, I'm glad that outrageous cars like this exist, but...

... almost 600 hp of twin-turbo Lambo V10 driving all four patches, and it needs 4.6 seconds to hit 60?

The old C5 generation RS6 had 140 fewer horses, and it was reliably quicker than that.

·
Premium Member
18,180 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Fast Wagons: Audi RS6 vs Holden SS-V vs VW R32 Vs FPV F6X

You could spend $270,000 on Audi's new high-performance wagon, or put the family into something more affordable. JOSHUA DOWLING weighs up the options.

It's not an easy task to make wagons look cool. Where a four-wheel-drive tells the world, "I can escape this mess if I want to," (even though it's stuck in the same traffic jam as you), a wagon usually screams, "I'm stuck with screaming kids, macaroni cheese, soccer and netball runs for the next decade or so."

Or, if it's a white Falcon wagon, "I work for Telstra."

Someone, somewhere inside a car company was clearly troubled by this dilemma. Wagons are incredibly practical, yet their image comes with plenty of baggage - pun intended.

So what would happen, say, if you fitted a massive V10 engine similar to that used in a Lamborghini supercar and squeezed it under the bonnet of a wagon? And then added two turbochargers for good measure?

You could call it a good start. You could also call it an Audi RS6 Avant. The world's most powerful wagon went on sale locally this week priced from $270,000. It has an incredible 426 kW of power - or in baby boomer language, 580 horsepower.

At the moment there's nothing quite like it, which is a bit of an understatement.

So we assembled three other fast family freighters that are slightly more affordable - each about a quarter of the price of the Audi. In fact, you could buy all three of these and they would still cost less than just one RS6.

Even though these vehicles are very different from each other, they all combine wagon practicality with blistering performance and superior road holding.

And, it's safe to say, they ought to get the kids to school on time.

Here's how they compare.

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=58385

·
Registered
713 Posts
Take the holden with the Buick Park Avenues interior:D.

·
Registered
676 Posts
If it were my money the F6X wouldn't even be in consideration, the RS6 would be something for lottery win dreams and the SS-V would not really be suitable for the Ski-fields.

Hence it's the VW by default :D

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
SS-V or pref. a Calais wagon for me. Then again, maybe a Senator, you can get manuals in them...... Had my first chance to ask a new owner what he thought of the Sportswagon (Berlina). Loves it. Longtime Commy driver (VE Omega last car). He reckons it's so rightsized and you can hardly pick it's a wagon to drive and he's pleased it is shorter than the old one because it makes gettting into and out of tight spots a lot easier and it handles/rides much, much better even on smooth roads.

We don't get much snow here, so AWD=99% wasted especially on a alloy wheel,low-profile-tyred sportscar which is not going bigtime offroad. And the R32's no match for my Monaro in the dry (he tried twice, lost twice) so the 36 has no hope against the HSV.......

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
My folks just bought a Calais V Sportwagon (V8) in Karma. It is just the bomb! It's the first V8 I've ever driven and it's so easy to drive.

Pros
-Love the looks
-Great Colour
-V8
-Adequate space for most families
-Nice interior (for the most part)
-V8
-Front and Rear Parking sensors are a revelation!!!!
-I don't know what the hell they are talking about 'large A pillars'??? My Arse!
-Did I mention it was a V8

Cons
-Handbrake, it's not the styling or the ergonomic design because you just adapt to it. It's the material. Doesn't feel very solid and doesn't line up really well.
-Steering wheel just doesn't fit my hands very well. I have fairly big hands too. The bumps and thickness just don't work.

·
Premium Member
18,180 Posts
Yeah same.
^^^ This is what 5 hours sleep in 48 does for you.

The VW has some awesome seats but the long overhangs front and rear (it's a Golf after all), really make it look awkward. I wanted to love it too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts