GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Comparison Tests
2015 Ford F-150 vs. 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500, 2015 Ram 1500, 2014 Toyota Tundra

JOHN PEARLEY HUFFMAN | JANUARY 2015
caranddriver

As any dime-store undergrad psych major can tell you, it’s a tough climb to the top of the hierarchy of needs pyramid, the point at which we supposedly have everything we desire. There are challenges at every level, from finding solid traction in the physiological realm to cresting the summit of self-actualization. Any base full-size pickup truck has the capability to get you there, but if you’ve got around $60,000 to spend, why settle for anything less than total fulfillment in a crew-cab, four-wheel-drive, luxury salon on stilts?

So the dean of the needs hierarchy himself, Abraham Maslow, is in the metaphorical driver’s seat for this comparison of top-of-the-line, half-ton personality haulers. Of course, Chevrolet and Ford are here, as are Ram and Toyota.

more at the link...

Reactions: AMERICA 123

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I've never been a Ford truck guy, but the '15 F-150 is a damn fine looking truck. I would have to drive one and see how I feel about it because I'm a big fan of the GM twins.

·
Registered
11,998 Posts
I'd like to drive the new F-150. For now my favorite half ton is still the Ram 1500. The Tundra is so dated even with the heavy update.

It'll be interesting to see how the new Titan competes.

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
Basically you can't go wrong with any of the American trucks and the Tundra is still a POS.
you start reading about the Tundra ant it is ONE positive is BACK seat room it is a JUMBO cab it had better be roomy back there!!!!!! and EVERY THING else is a negative
and the 3 US trucks where all positive with "minor" complaints
I would say for a truck-as-a-car test it was fair and well done just have to wonder about the truck selection as the FORD was the max load/trailering spec where the chevy was NOT anywhere near MAX load spec + the hearing choices as the Tundra had towing gears and the RAM had hi-way gears

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
you start reading about the Tundra ant it is ONE positive is BACK seat room it is a JUMBO cab it had better be roomy back there!!!!!! and EVERY THING else is a negative
I would say for a truck-as-a-car test it was fair and well done just have to wonder about the truck selection as the FORD was the max load/trailering spec where the chevy was NOT anywhere near MAX load spec + the hearing choices as the Tundra had towing gears and the RAM had hi-way gears
have you ever followed a Tacoma or Tundra on the freeway and seen the dance their beds perform?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Basically you can't go wrong with any of the American trucks and the Tundra is still a POS.
They didn't test Max towing....All trucks with Max towing ride worse... Ford winning with a Max tow package against a non GM Max tow shows how much they have improved the Ford suspension...

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
^ Bingo. The big three are so good now, it really is a matter of preference/styling/features/pricing as to which one you choose, you can't go wrong.

I'd like to drive the new F-150. For now my favorite half ton is still the Ram 1500. The Tundra is so dated even with the heavy update.

It'll be interesting to see how the new Titan competes.
My perfect truck would be the F150 body/frame + GM 6.2L + RAM interior and air suspension.

Toyota can only compete on price now - they've become the value brand. With all the issues the big three have had over the last 5-10 years, who would have thought that would happen?

I guess you have to give Toyota persistence points. With those shameful sales numbers any other manufacturer would've pulled the plug on this experiment years ago.
They've got that big new factory to pay for!!!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They didn't test Max towing....All trucks with Max towing ride worse... Ford winning with a Max tow package against a non GM Max tow shows how much they have improved the Ford suspension...
Did I miss where it says the F150 was equipped with the max tow pkg.???

Reactions: doh

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
This Quote

"the engine is a straightforward pushrod V-8 that shares its bore spacing with the small-block that Chevy introduced 60 years ago."

Is correct stating that Bore Spacing is the only thing that the current engine share with the SBC Chevy V8.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Some of the cited "as tested" numbers just don't jive.

FORD F-150 SPECIFICATIONS
Listed base weight of the tested F150 is 4925 lbs. According to C&D the tested weight is 5577 lbs. (increase of 652 lbs. :eek:)

C&D also states the "as tested" payload of 2020 lbs., and max. tow of 11,500 lbs. This can't be if the tested vehicle actually weighs 5577 lbs.

The actual numbers should be corrected to....

Payload - 7000 GVWR - 5577 = 1423 lbs. (- 597 lbs payload)

Max Tow - (GCVWR 16,900) 5577 tested weight + 11,500 max. tow rating = 17077 (177 lbs. over GCVWR)

According to...
FORD TOWING GUIDES

The test truck can be had with two different GVWR's, 16,100 & 16,900, with the same axle ratio.

There are no footnotes that denote what provides for an additional 800 lbs. of GCVWR ?

Also it doesn't appear that the "Max Payload" option is available on this configuration.

SILVERADO 1500 CREW CAB SPECS.
By comparison the tested Silverado has a weight increase of just 224 lbs. (5434 base / 5658 tested) over the advertised base weight.

Payload - 7200 - 5658 = 1542 lbs. (+119 lbs. over F150)

Max Towing - (GCVWR 15,000) 5658 lbs. tested weight + 9200 max tow rating = 14,858 (142 lb.under GCVWR)

Can someone please explain why the F150 was awarded additional points for it's bogus max tow numbers (actually over the facory weight rating) and why the Silverado received no points for an increased payload over the F150 ????????

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Why was the towing capacity on the Silverado so low??
It didn't have the "Max Trailering Package" which you have to get to tow the 12,000 lbs they advertise.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Did anybody read that article? Seems to me the Chevy won! The Dodge, which they crowned king last year slapping GM in the face was 3rd, the Ford is only slightly lighter and matched the Chevy's gas mileage, and the Toyota just sucks!
In all honesty, I didn't really read it, just glanced over it. I don't need Car and Drivers affirmation to know I made the right choice.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.