GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
World's Most Expensive Mustang Meets Corvette

First Place: Corvette Z06 - Handling can be spooky, but Z06 is a true sports car with terrifying acceleration.

Second Place: Mustang GT500KR - The KR sounds great, but it gets destroyed by the Corvette in every performance category.

We're looking at the 2008 Ford Shelby GT500KR and 2008 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, but we're imagining a '68 Shelby GT500KR staging next to a Corvette with one of the 427-cubic-inch V8s on the Connecting Highway in Queens, New York, probably sometime during the Nixon administration. We don't know how the cars are tuned or which driver has the better hole-shot technique, but we're calling our street race in favor of the Vette.

You see, there's no historical basis for a close Corvette-Mustang rivalry. A Corvette of any year is a little too fast and smart to be street racing ratty muscle cars. It's a real sports car, the kind of car that's still fun when you start going around corners.

But maybe it's a different story with this 2008 Ford Shelby GT500KR and 2008 Chevrolet Corvette Z06. Each of these rear-wheel-drive coupes has a V8 rated for more than 500 horsepower at the flywheel. And with the release of the limited-edition 2008 Ford Shelby GT500KR, Ford has moved in on Chevrolet's price territory. The GT500KR leaves the Ford factory as a $46,730 GT500 coupe and is shipped as a rolling chassis to Carroll Shelby's facility near the Las Vegas Motor Speedway in Nevada. By the time the KR cruises out of Shelby's shop, it's an $82,395 Mustang.

As such, the King-of-the-Road Mustang must now contend with this $76,920 2008 Chevrolet Corvette Z06. And though the Z06 is a few horsepower shy of the upcoming ZR1, it's not an easy mark. The GT500KR will have to play like a sports car just to keep up.

Full Review at Link w/Pics and Video: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/d...Id=131034?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..1.*

·
Registered
593 Posts
Not a terribly surprising result, IMO.

I DO have to admit that I am sad to see Shelby whoring out his name like that, but, unfortunately, that's nothing new.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
How I'd have written it.

First Place: Corvette Z06 - It's a Corvette and it has a 427. The End.

Second Place: Mustang GT500KR - Rule #1 of nicknames: You can't give yourself a nickname, especially when you're not the King of the Road, or track, or dragstrip. . .

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
King of the Road? If that Road has mostly Prius's on them, a few Accords, some Camry's, perhaps a few used Caravans...yes, King of that Road.

Did anyone really really think that this would even try to match the Z06?
Please...please...race it against the ZR1. Just make me happy.

BTW, I liked the Conneting Highway piece. My father used to go there for street racing back in the day.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
uh, no contest. the base corvette smoked the gt500 last year. theres no way the gt500kr will beat the z06. and who would pay 82k for a mustang (esp when you can save 5 grand and get the z06?)

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Whoa whoa whoa...I dont want to see any Ford fan boi's back tracking.
This is a 80k Mustang with 540hp, light weight super car...KING OF THE ROAD.
Dont EVEN think about trying to back out saying this wasnt designed to fight the Z06.
Ford fails again.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Dont EVEN think about trying to back out saying this wasnt designed to fight the Z06.
Ford fails again.
My sentiments exactly. 1+

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
I think the outcome of this comparison was obvious. The Ford Shelby GT500KR can't hold a stick to the Chevy Corvette Z06. Oh and the Z06 looks tons better than the Shelby GT500KR. :yup:

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts
Ford fails again.
It was designed to take on the Z06 and other performance cars of this caliber. It just wasn't designed very well.

The result isn't very surprising though. Sure, the KR has more horsepower, torque, and a few other enhancements, but it retains the standard GT500's corpulence and awful, FWD-like 58%/42% weight distribution. As for "Ford fails again", I have little doubt that Ford will sell through all of these (it is still a pretty fast car if nothing else). For a company to sell a car for a substantial premium even though it isn't even number one in performance in its class...I'd call that an accomplishment. ;)

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
not a suprise at all. Chevy always out performs ford.

true to the mustang vs camaro
(which 90% chance will be the same again)

and true to the GT500KR vs Vette

on an intresting note however, Ford has always sold more Mustangs than Chevy sold Camaros

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
"cobbled together collector special"
The tore the Mustang apart in that review. Kind of like what Autoweek did to the '05 GTO when they tested it against the then new Mustang back in '05.

And why o' why can't Chevy fix the Vette's weird handling issues?
is it cause it's not a unibody?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Funny, my dad was just talking about that article. They whined about the suspension design on both the cars...

so he looked up the GT-R (the "technological marvel" they refer to in, what, the 2nd paragraph) and then he started talking about how badly designed the rear suspension is on the GT-R. I'm not sure if he was blowing smoke, I don't know squat about suspension design, but if he's right then the GT-R is just like the 3000GT VR4 was - just a platform for as many gimmicks as possible.

Personally, I was just annoyed they brought up the GT-R anyway - what's the matter, they didn't have enough other pages devoted to kissing Japanese car companies' asses?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Holy krap. Did anyone else read the whole comparo or just the quoted section? The KR is just plain horrible. Ya we all knew the Z06 would obliterate it, but the KR was overheating every time it was pushed hard, exhibited brake fade, and filled with gasoline fumes, ran slower than a base GT500 vert in a slalom (I don't care if the slalom track wasn't perfectly smooth) This all from an 82K + dealer markup muscle car? Pathetic. Not to mention 12.8 seconds in the quarter sucks for having 540 supercharged horsepower. 01 and 02 LS1 f-bodies went that quick with 320 horsepower on tap, and they're solid axle rear as well.

·
Registered
593 Posts
And why o' why can't Chevy fix the Vette's weird handling issues?
is it cause it's not a unibody?
I think that it is more attributable to the tires than anything else.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts