GM Inside News Forum banner

Company to import Chinese made cars

1K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  MelvinJ 
As long as there are *incentives* for companies to move factories offshore, instead of incentives to move jobs back here, our standard of living will decline, like it has for the last 25 years. American industry has to realize that after the good-paying jobs are overseas, and the only jobs here are hamburger-flipper jobs, Americans won't be able to buy new cars at all. Detroit is slow to see this because because the auto industry pays well, and its' employees have money to buy their products, but this is not the case elsewhere. I worked in a lawn mower factory where they imported nearly all the parts and only did welding, painting, and assembly. These were professional riding mowers, prices starting at about $5000 each. My point is that if American workers don't have good jobs, they can't keep the economy going like in the past. I recently read an article about the fact that car buyers are going for longer term loans, keeping cars longer before trading them in, thus reducing the demand for cars. It's easy to see that if the average car buyer goes from buying a car every four years, to every five years, demand goes down 20 or 25 %. "free trade" isn't working.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.