18,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Commentary: Commuting By The Numbers

Mick McWilliams
mikmak
GMInsidenews.com
Australia Correspondent

04 October 2014

Have you ever wondered how much it was worth to achieve better fuel economy? Does the advantage of diesel fuel economy get lost in the cost of maintenance?

Holden have given us a few vehicles to have a closer look. In this introductory episode, I take the 2014 Holden Malibu CDX Diesel on my new daily commute.

At under $36,000 it appears to be quite good value.

At as low as 4.8 L/100kms (49 USSMPG) on the highway, that's getting closer to exceptional.

Full review to follow soon as well as comparisons against the 1.8 Cruze Sportwagon and 1.4 Turbo Barina.

·
Premium Member
18,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the interior feels more upmarket and the sound insulation is pretty good so its a comfortable commuter and pretty good at regional back roads too. There is definitely more space (particularly width) over a Cruze but as I said in the vid, the seats don't do such a great job for me. I'm in a SV6 Ute at the moment and the seats are light years better. Even the seats in the Cruze 1.8 CD were more comfortable, but I find seats are very dependent on the size of the occupant.

After a week with this Malibu I ended up really liking the colour, LEDS etc. and the overall look is quite nice. I'd still take an Evoke any day of the week, but running cost wise you'll end up paying for the privilege.

·
Premium Member
18,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is certainly true but I can't analyse conditions I can't control. This is for people who are buying a new car. Used vehicles are great ways to save money, until you have to repair a breakdown.

Again you can go one step further and just buy something dead cheap and run it into the ground but I don't think someone who wants modern convenience is going to be tempted by an old beater.

·
Premium Member
18,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mik, any chance of comparing against a Camry Hybrid and LPG Commodore/Falcon for running costs?
I'll see what I can do. I may be able to snag a LPG Commodore, and hopefully Ford will finally start returning my emails.... but I did just make a video crapping on the AU Falcon. :D

·
Premium Member
18,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll see what I can do. I may be able to snag a LPG Commodore, and hopefully Ford will finally start returning my emails.... but I did just make a video crapping on the AU Falcon.
You leave my AU alone! Its not brilliant but its honest!
The vid is in Aus Car discussion, but I was just commenting on Google+ today that the people I know that now have AU wagons say the same thing. They just keep on keeping on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.