GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 430-horsepower Corvette will rent for $164.99 per day, placing it among Avis' more expensive offerings. It will be available in four warm-weather markets: Arizona, California, Florida and Las Vegas.

The Corvette will be equipped with the base LS3 6.2-liter, aluminum-block V8 engine. The car also will be equipped with keyless ignition with push-button start and an automatic transmission.

Avis has added a number of niche vehicles to what it dubs its "Cool Collection" in recent years, including the Cadillac CTS, Hummer H3 and Toyota Prius.

Avis joins rival Hertz in offering to rent Corvettes. Hertz also has its own lineup of specialty rentals, which includes the Shelby GTH.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080311/FREE/76491331/1023/rss01&rssfeed=rss01

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
This is probably a good thing. People will drive it and want to buy one.

I'd like to rent one for the weekend.:drive:

·
Banned
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So we have a lot of people on here who actually buy used Vettes right???

U have rented a car before right???

I have... and I will tell U that I damm sure didn't treat it like it was min.

IN FACT... Hertz does the Mustang GT rental thing. Back in the 60's they did too... It was a MANY of cats who would rent a Mustang for the weekend just to take it to the track. I'm sorry bro... but I don't wanna buy a used 430HP car that not just one driver was in... but 15 or 20 different drivers abusing it.

I mean seriously... have U ever driven yours and not thought... "DAMN!!! I should be driving this the way my mom drives her Corolla."?

THANK GOD... .they aren't renting MN6s

·
Banned
17,589 Posts

IN FACT... Hertz does the Mustang GT rental thing. Back in the 60's they did too... It was a MANY of cats who would rent a Mustang for the weekend just to take it to the track. I'm sorry bro... but I don't wanna buy a used 430HP car that not just one driver was in... but 15 or 20 different drivers abusing it.

I mean seriously... have U ever driven yours and not thought... "DAMN!!! I should be driving this the way my mom drives her Corolla."?

Those new Mustangs are inspected like crazy, unlike the old ones.

There was a huge article in MT and Automobile when they first came out.

Besides you think every Corvette owner treats his car right? I'd say 95% do, but you've got a bad seed here or there.

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Nothing unusual. You always could rent a Corvette, and a lot of other pricey sports cars. So what? It's not like they're flooding rental lots.

Makes for a fun vacation or business trip. I always used to update to a Firebird, Mustang, or Camaro (convertible if possible) when I traveled on business. Why not? The client would pay for an intermediate, and I'd kick in the difference to get a fun car.

·
Registered
8,946 Posts

It says right there in the article that all Avis Corvettes will be automatics.

Which means that if you're in the market for any desirable used Corvette, you're safe.

·
Banned
17,589 Posts
I thought everyone here believed GM was getting out of the fleet sales business, lol.
No they are getting out of Fleet dumping.

Of course that doesn't fit your agenda. I wonder how would you post if you couldn't spin something to fit your opinion.

·
Registered
11,951 Posts
It says right there in the article that all Avis Corvettes will be automatics.

Which means that if you're in the market for any desirable used Corvette, you're safe.
yup, no worries there

·
Registered
8,905 Posts
Anyone who thinks this is bad is crazy.

I've been to Vegas a few times and you can rent ANYTHING there...
(even blonds ;))

Its never a bad idea to put a car into the hand of a potential customer, I wish GM made more cars available to the Rental Fleet.

For example, My wife hates the look of the 2005 and up STS, I will never change her mind during a 45 minute test drive... But if I could rent one during a two week Vegas stay I would have a chance.

This is called Marketing.... Its GOOD and GM needs to do MORE of it!

·
Registered
11,124 Posts
As I've noted before, the "rental" label has nothing to do with a car's image.

Detroit's horrible midsize fleet whores gave rentals the bad name, not the other way around. I've been stuck behind the wheel of some godawful Taurus, Stratus or Grand Am more times that I care to remember. It was enough to swear me off domestics forever. But not because they were rentals, but because they were such horrible cars.

And dumping them in such large numbers on the used market doesn't hurt them either. The Camry isn't just the most popular new car, it's also one of the most popular used cars. So it's not like having a certain model flooding used car lots hurts a car's sales potential. Having a lot flooded with sloppy unappealing midsize sedans does.

I'm actually ticked off that I can't find certain vehicles (trying finding an Enclave) readily available for rent.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
And dumping them in such large numbers on the used market doesn't hurt them either. The Camry isn't just the most popular new car, it's also one of the most popular used cars. So it's not like having a certain model flooding used car lots hurts a car's sales potential. Having a lot flooded with sloppy unappealing midsize sedans does.
I don't know about that. The fleet dump strategy made it very cheap for the rental car companies to churn their cars quickly, dumping a lot of low mileage cars onto the used market for low price. Obviously if there's a glut of 1 year old cars on the lots, that's obviously going to lower the price of the 3 year old ones. Particularly if they are all similar models (eg GM W cars).

Now that the dumping era is over, it seems like the rental car companies are keeping them longer and running them into the ground.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.