GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
very nice truck to replace the S10 and Sonoma. I like the new look, fresh, young exicting very nice. the power train is very good, out powers most other trucks of this size. Good with passing long tracktor trailers on the Trans Canada High way. Nice cargo space both inside and out. If i did have 20,000.00 to buy a Colorado I would, but i dont so ill just have to rember my test drive

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Can you tell us anything more you can tell us about your experience. Did you like the interior? What model did you test? Was the power good? What do you think can be improved?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I drove the Colorado at the GM Autoshow in Motion. It was pretty nice. The engine seemed peppy enough. Reasonable compared to my 97 ZR2. It was pretty comfortable and quiet. It was a hot day and the engine seemed to be a little out of sync, idling a little high. The handling was about what I expected. The steering feel was very nice, just enough effort. It felt like a nice modern truck as opposed to the Toyota Tacoma that was on hand. Definitely old school compared to the Colorado.

I have not approached a dealer yet. But I don't think you can get the manual in the crew cab, but you can get it in the regular and extended cab. That really annoys me. Also once again a sunroof is not an option. My S-10 had an aftermarket sunroof and it really was nice having one. The positioning of the XM Satellite radio is also suspect. I've seen it on the right (or was it left) side of the front of the roof. I think that is a really strange place to put it. Put it in the back half of the roof in the middle!

All I want is a crew cab Colorado with the 5 cylinder, a manual and a sunroof. Why is that too much to ask?

It is a beautiful truck. I would like to see one with leather heated seats. But the real disappointing thing is that the Z71 just does not give me the feeling that the ZR2 did. The ZR2 seemed much more different then the basic S-10. The Z71 doesn't seem that different from the basic 4x4. But it looks so good from the front, and rear view especially. I don't understand why they didn't continue the 3 power outlets. New trucks are supposed to be better and have more stuff than the old model, not the other way around.

I think Chevy is going to be in a firefight with the new 250hp Frontier, Tacoma and the new Dakota. I am assuming that something will be done to up the power. The supposed fuel economy savings are not good enough to really make up for the lack of power. It will still be the best looking at any rate.

The final problem is the price. The ZR2 was about 25K. The Colorado is 27K with the crew cab over 30K. They are currently selling Trailblazers for 24-27k around here. I dont' want a Trailblazer as much, but hell if it is 5K less, I will reconsider. They are going to need to do something about that.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
All I want is a crew cab Colorado with the 5 cylinder, a manual and a sunroof. Why is that too much to ask?

GOOD NEWS!

I have seen a 2005 GMC Canyon brochure and and electric sunroof is available on the crew cab models.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for letting me know about the sunroof in the Canyon. I recently got a really thorough Colorado brochure. The sunroof is not listed. But if they'll do one for the Canyon, I would think they would do it for the Colorado. Thanks again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A footnote regarding the sunroof issue: On the Chevy website they now show an optional power sunroof available Fall of 2004. Yes!

Now about that manual in the crew cab....that six speed would be nice.

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
The more I see them on the road the more I like them. I wish the person who priced the upcoming G6 & Cobalt would have priced the Colorado & Canyon instead of the person who set the pricing on the Grandprix and Bonneville. Over $30,000 for either of those trucks is a downright gouging I don't care how loaded it is.

·
Registered
733 Posts
this truck is absolutely disgusting looking. It sounds like a competent truck though. But I cant get past that horrible amateurish styling.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
The more I drive our Colorado, the more I like it. We have the base 2800 I4 engine but its a great truck. In our family, we also have a Cadillac SRX and a 2004 Corvette, but the family wrestles over the keys to the Colorado most often. Funny.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I tried the extended cab with a 4 cylinder and five speed. I found it to be very quiet, surpisingly torquey as well. If that is what 20/27 mpg feels like in a truck, I could deal with that. In fact, I specifically decided to try the four cylinder truck to see what it had on the Toyota Tacoma after reading columns here about Toyota's bragging about their fuel economy. I figure that the Colorado in that configuration would give the similar Tacoma a drive-by b-slap.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
I like the Colorado, but for some reason I like the Canyon alot better.........

For $30,000 you do get alot of truck, and that isn't counting the rebates either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts