GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For months now I've been contemplating stepping out of my winder window Hemi Ram RC 6.3 ST. I had bought the Ram just to get the engine in the cheapest lightest package, but lately I've thought I was ready to downshift a little in return for 30 pieces of silver, an 8 inch backup camera and those knock out z71 wheels.

I have been GMI's regular cab cheerleader in chief for well nigh 4 years at least. But when I had a chance to get an LT conv pack 8ft RC Silvy recently I balked. I had grown accustomed to the bulbous cab on the Ram with its half a foot behind the seat.

There it was, my dream machine, but I had to go and ruin everything by sitting shotgun and noticing how surprisingly cramped the passenger's seat was in a Silvy RC.

But then I thought, maybe with the right looking stretch cab, I could become the 'latter Wittgenstein' http://www.harryhiker.com/ap/witt--00.htm of the pickup world by embracing an aesthetically pleasing one. It would need to rival the RC 6.5 in sex appeal - almost the off road version of a pony car: the kind of car that actually might get restored in fifty years.

The cab would emphasize the two doors and have no rear handles. Maybe the slightest back window lean in. It would share a full size regular cab's surprisingly low base price, but have substantially more standard equipment than a base Silvy. Like the RC 6.5 it would be barely longer than a big sedan, helping it maneuver into tight spots. The bed's still got to be big enough to use. I'll need over six feet for camping.

But where could I find something that perfect?

Mike Anderson Chevrolet, that's where.

If you can gaze on the Colorado's countenance and not be moved, you are not a man, but a machine, devoid of pulsating blood.

This Colo came with rear fender liners that the Silvy so often lacks. Every Colo gets a backup camera (originally proposed by the Feds as a mandatory safety item) while the Silvy makes you get a convenience package. Fact is, Chevy prices the EC LT Colorado $1000 *below* the WT1 Silvy RC.

http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado-...cs/trims.config=regular_cab_standard_box.html
http://www.chevrolet.com/colorado-small-truck/specs/trims.html

To secure the black beauty pictured above, you need only arrive at MAC during business hours with a song, a dance and $26,300! MSRP is a mere $28,505. Of course for that price it's mostly beauty and creature comforts. You get only 191lb/ft and 200hp from the 246 dl I4. Four wheel drive? Who cares when the Z71 has a standard G80 locker? Anyway it *looks* 4wd, which will not hurt sales one bit.

To put Chevy's strategy in perspective, this Silvy stickers at $28,300 MSRP - only $200 short of the black beauty Colorado. It's a v6 WT1 conv package 8ft.

Nonetheless, you can tell Chevy is keen to cast the Colorado in a little brother role. The seat only adjusts four ways. Surprising.

In any case there's a staggered relationship with the Silvy, as the EC Colo is effectively a super roomy reg cab with some cosmetic 'back seats' that looked nearly taped on.

Yet still, you could legally fit two back there for the proverbial limited time. One huge downside is that you cannot close the half door with your legs straddling the front seat - and the legs really *have* to straddle the front seat. Going directly to a Silvy DC in the showroom I discovered that I could shut the door even with my knees around the front seat - thank extra inches but also to the front hinged doors replacing the Colo's bay type.

Walking around the black beauty Z71, you really notice the 'goldilocks' nature of it all. Sure it sits tall, but not too tall. The bed's much higher than in an old S10, but an under six footer can still reach into the sides easily. Looking under the rear wheel well you can see the back section of the frame is only about 3" deep. It really is a 'compact' underneath, but you still get the same payload of 1500lbs as a coil sprung Ram. For reasons I can't comprehend, it has four leaf springs while the Silvy only gets three.

"Round the Block"

Sitting in the Colo, I felt the seating position was lower than a full size, but there was more than enough legroom and headroom. One thing I would have to get used to is the tall and narrow middle arm rest. I like the broad, mesa like back of the Ram's folded down middle seatback - solid real estate for the drive in meal. Colorado has a veritable 'canyon' between the seats with the precipices of gear shifter, lengthwise cupholders and the towering armrest/console.

I was surprised the Z71 did not have extra gauges, but it seems in keeping with the Colo having a narrower price range with many more goodies standard than the Silvy, but also far fewer options.

I had recently taken a V6 WT1 8ft Silvy around this same block, and had been surprised by how responsive it had been when floored at low speed. An even bigger surprise was how quiet this stripper Silvy was. The Colorado did not have the same quietude at all. Probably the fault of the bay style doors with their more tenuous sealing. But the highest level Colo was, at least in cab noise, not as refined as the lowest level silvy - certainly not in isolating the driver from noise and bumps. The ride was far harder in the Colorado than the WT Silvy as well.

Based on the low speed response of the WT Silvy, I had hoped that maybe, just maybe a six speed and 4.10 gears could make the 'poseur' Z71 2wd 4cyl an acceptable steed for going to and fro as well as hither and yon. But alas, even the low speed response was, to be polite, tepid. The 2wd EC Colo 4cyl weighs 3920lbs - not counting Z71 trim - and has only 200hp. Good bet as tested it was over 20lbs/hp. I knew it wouldn't have the ferocity of my 12lb/HP Ram, but I thought surely at least in first gear it could wind itself into a little tempest of dohc fury. But. Yeah. No.

Before the test drive, I had told my friendly associate that I thought I was a V8 guy, but maybe I didn't have to be anymore. After our odyssey, it was clear that I still was.

But then again, I hadn't tried a V6 Colo. There was a brief flurry of activity back at the showroom in an attempt to track down a 2wd V6, but there was literally not one in the state of Illinois according to those manning the Chevy finding computers. I'm very happy to be mistaken for driving a macho 4x4, but not interested in paying for something I will never use. I've found the rear locker does the trick in even deep snow. Just having truck ground clearance was half the battle in my treacherous alley during the Polar Vortex. As long as you have no steep grades to contend with, I'm convinced even around the snowy Great Lakes you don't need it.

Of course the GMIer in me immediately dreamed of a 'movement' to get the 533 dl V8 in a Colo, maybe as a unique 'street machine' SS 2wd. But though some here have longed for a return of a street machine Zq8 famous from the previous generation, the new Colo seems like it was styled with the unwavering goal of looking jacked up. I could more easily see Chevy slamming a Silvy than a Colo. If anything the Colo would look even more heart-achingly boss with a leveling kit, although it doesn't even *need* leveling, as it lacks the severe frontal rake of a RC 6.5 Silvy.

So all in all, the I4 z71 is a poseur's dream come true. A vision of loveliness for $28.5 MSRP - not to mention heated seats and the big ol' backup TeeVee. Chevy has clearly emphasized one set of values for the WT Silvy (V6 heart of gold beneath an ugly black mug) and another set for the 4cyl Z-71. Vavavavooom! But not much zoom.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I find myself continually torn back and forth as to whether I would want 4x4 in one of the small trucks. Is the $4,500 option worth it, or would I regret it later on in life?
Better resale value with 4x4 if you are worried about that.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
IMO all 'but resale!' arguments hinge on either a desire to be hyper-conformist, or it's a financial fig leaf covering over a hedonistic impulse.

Like for example in the '60's road testers were always talking about how Dodge has lousy resale, so despite the Torqueflyte and 318 being a really tractable and responsive and efficient setup, you should probably go with a 283 Powerglide Chevy because it costs a little less now and will sell for a little more in five years. Like nowadays if you are going to be the puppet of a resale master, you have to buy a crew cab 4wd Tacoma when you really want an EC 2wd Colo.

The biggest factor about the allegedly cold hard facts of the resale argument: If you are 'spending money now to save money later' you are ignoring a cornerstone of economic theory. Namely, that a dollar in your hand today is worth much more than a dollar you plan to have in your hand in five years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_value_of_money

With cars (and the men who love them) I think the resale argument is largely employed as a brazen rationalization for getting something the 'heart' wants.

"Geez honey, if we get the V8 and and mag wheels...you know... better resale!" This is also a favorite tactic of salesmen to lure you into buying things - 4wd comes to mind - that you'll never use.

I think in the end, especially if you are buying a new car you've got to face it: You are blowing money. If you really care about money, why are you even buying a new car that loses 10% of value the second you drive it off the lot? I suppose the response would be "And THAT'S why I'm buying the Taco Crew Cab I don't want - doesn't depreciate so much." But then that leads to this:

Why not buy the heavily depreciated five year old 2wd RC Chevy? Then you're really beating the system and saving money.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
So you found the 4 cyl midsized truck lacking in oomph?
I was going in thinking that it had a lot of torque multiplication with the 4.10 axle and as long as it offered decent acceleration up to 45mph or so, I could live with that as I peered into my 8" screen and switched on my heated seat. Even my wife's old PT cruiser with a 3.92 axle ratio feels snappy right off the line. At highway speeds you're done though. But even right off the line the black beauty z71 was distinctly disappointing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
With cars (and the men who love them) I think the resale argument is largely employed as a brazen rationalization for getting something the 'heart' wants.

"Geez honey, if we get the V8 and and mag wheels...you know... better resale!" This is also a favorite tactic of salesmen to lure you into buying things - 4wd comes to mind - that you'll never use.
I don't think people are saying you'll make money on the resale, just that it reduces the overall cost if you aren't keeping the vehicle until the wheels fall off. So 4WD doesn't really cost you $4500 if it returns, say, $3000 more at trade in time. Also a 4WD will undoubtedly be easier to sell, so it also returns a little bit of value in time and PITA factor.

·
Registered
21,339 Posts
Nice review!

I think you will really have issues with the HP (lack-of), I went from a 5.7 HEMI to the 2013 5.3L, I keep looking, but have yet to find where GM stuffed the sock.

------------------------------

Finally a Chevy with less leg-room than the Malibu!

In any case there's a staggered relationship with the Silvy, as the EC Colo is effectively a super roomy reg cab with some cosmetic 'back seats' that looked nearly taped on.
:lmao:

They say a picture is worth a 1,000 words, with that being the extended cab, I think its easy to understand why the RC version won't be offered.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
But then again, I hadn't tried a V6 Colo. There was a brief flurry of activity back at the showroom in an attempt to track down a 2wd V6, but there was literally not one in the state of Illinois according to those manning the Chevy finding computers.
On the GMC side, here's a 2015 Canyon Base RWD V6 EC currently available at Howard Buick GMC in Elmhurst:

Just past the Illinois border in Merrillville, Indiana, Schepel Buick GMC has a Canyon SLT RWD V6 CC:

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Good review, KingElvis! I would imagine the 4 cyl engine to be too sluggish for such a hefty-sized vehicle. With only 191 lb-ft of torque, that's where she struggles I guess. If it (engine) were in a smaller truck, like S-10 size, it would probably do fine. I remember the old 2.2 engine in the S-10s that were decent, but not drag racers.

I know the 4.3 in an Express 2500 is a slug, but dang near bulletproof. They take a beating and we've had very few engine issues with most between 100-200k miles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts