GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CHEVROLET COLORADO XTREME SHOWCASES CUSTOMIZING POTENTIAL

The name for this special Chevrolet Colorado was not chosen lightly. From its appearance to its performance, this is one XTREME truck and an ideal showcase for demonstrating to today’s youthful enthusiasts how they can customize and personalize their Colorado.

The attention-grabbing aspects of Colorado XTREME begin with its exterior styling. Up front, Colorado XTREME’s body kit adds a front fascia with integral projector beam driving lamps and a front grille with unique three-dimensional expanded metal screens. Adding a sense of muscle are front and rear wheel flares, rocker extension moldings, a rear fascia and a tailgate-mounted rear wing.

Colorado XTREME also features a one-piece, flush-mounted aluminum hard tonneau cover that is painted body-color and a Webasto power tilt and slide sunroof. Providing an exclamation point to Colorado XTREME’s exterior styling are the Intro Prowler 6 18-inch polished billet aluminum wheels fitted with Dunlop SP9000 LT255/45R18 tires.

The body is finished in PPG custom blended Poppy Red paint and the rear step bumper pads are finished in PPG Graphite.

Inside, Colorado XTREME’s front bucket seats and rear bench feature preferred black suede bolsters, preferred red suede side panels and Angala Red Dot Matrix inserts. The door trim panels also feature Angala Red Dot Matrix inserts. Colorado XTREME’s headliner, meanwhile, is finished in black suede with two-tone black and red suede sun visors. XTREME’s ebony carpet adds two black-striped velour inserts.

Power for this Extended Cab, two-wheel-drive Colorado comes from the Vortec 3500 inline five-cylinder engine that is available on the production Colorado. It delivers 220 horsepower at 5600 rpm and 225 lb.-ft. of torque at 2800 rpm. The 3.5L is mated to a four-speed automatic transmission and a 3.73:1 limited-slip rear differential.

Colorado XTREME features an independent coil spring front suspension with a coil-over-strut design, a full-floating, live-axle steel leaf spring rear suspension, Bilstein gas-charged front struts and Bilstein gas-charged rear shocks. Stopping power is provided by the four-wheel anti-lock brakes with front discs and rear drums.

Chevrolet showcases its XTREME vehicle concepts targeted at the “tuners” or youth enthusiasts. These XTREME concepts are showcases for GM to develop and evaluate a wide range of parts and body kits that allow customers to personalize and customize their vehicles to their individual lifestyles. These factory designed appearance packages feature unique attachments to fit specific models. Included in XTREME packages are such features as body kits or ground effects, revised rocker panels, distinctive lighting, rear wings and larger wheels and tires. Chevrolet and GM Service and Parts Operations are considering offering some of the XTREME appearance packages. Also included in Chevy’s XTREME concept vehicle lineup is a greater focus on in-vehicle entertainment, with Pioneer systems that feature DVD, CD and MP3 players, in addition to XM Satellite Radio. The XTREME concept vehicles build on the success of the S-10 XTREME model offering.

Chevrolet continues to expand its line of performance models with SS, Z71 and XTREME.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
wtf... this truck has so much gad dang potental as a life style truck that chevy doesnt even know. Im sure with enuff elbow greese, you could slap a 6.0 or a supercharged 5.3 in this bad boy and finaly have some powerful machines for the street. Im just looking for some peformance with a bowtie on it!! And keep it under 25k if thats possible, which i think if you cut down on other stuff, is very possible. At least a Turbo 3.5 pushing 260.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
what the crap... the work truck gets the 350hp turbo engine while the pink pick up gets a stock box 3500... RIPPED!! put teh turbocharged 350hp in the "extreem" or whatever and then give it a 6spd... and keep it under 30k... and you have your camaro fill in untill 07.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I can't see how they couldn't be thinking this. It would be a no brainer! This thing would fly! Maybe their point of putting it in the Z71 was that it could easily compete with the V8s in a work environment, to give it some "truck" cred?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Originally posted by sykboy@Nov 3 2003, 09:07 AM
I can't see how they couldn't be thinking this.  It would be a no brainer!  This thing would fly!  Maybe their point of putting it in the Z71 was that it could easily compete with the V8s in a work environment, to give it some "truck" cred?
The target audience for the turbo Colorado should be the Street Trucks, Mini Truckin' & Tailgate magazine crowd (and tech-happy people like us), not Bubba working the ranch.

"I don't drive in one of them bitsy little trucks." :YMCA:

A turbo DIESEL in a big Silverado, that's what the construction crew / cowboys like.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Originally posted by mason@Nov 3 2003, 10:05 AM

The target audience for the turbo Colorado should be the Street Trucks, Mini Truckin' & Tailgate magazine crowd (and tech-happy people like us), not Bubba working the ranch..
I agree, just trying to make some since of it all. Yet, how many people have been bitching about it not having a v8, or not having enough tow capacity? Something that GM was probably addressing.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
I think that since the I-6 is bigger then a big 8.1, the I-5 might just be the same size as the GenIII blocks(5.3,6.0)... not sure the 8.1 is built off the gen III platform.. maybe the same technolgy, but the block would have to be way bigger.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Nov 3 2003, 06:01 AM
the work truck gets the 350hp turbo engine while the pink pick up gets a stock box 3500... RIPPED!!
People with work trucks usually need the power.
Mini-truck type people can deal with their 4-cyls.

Actually, GM should offer the motor in all styles.
(Although I still think a 4-cyl pickups are jokes.)

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by thehemi+Nov 4 2003, 07:33 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (thehemi @ Nov 4 2003, 07:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigals87z28@Nov 3 2003, 06:01 AM
the work truck gets the 350hp turbo engine while the pink pick up gets a stock box 3500... RIPPED!!
People with work trucks usually need the power.
Mini-truck type people can deal with their 4-cyls.

Actually, GM should offer the motor in all styles.
(Although I still think a 4-cyl pickups are jokes.) [/b][/quote]
its not a 4 banger.. its a 5!! My brother looked at me when i told him anout the new 3500... he was like.. how the heck can you makd e V out of 5 cyls?

but i agree... the turbo i-5 should be offered in all trucks... not just a work truck. If gm wants to style this car as a "lifestyle" truck... my lifestyle is power baby!

·
Registered
151 Posts
The Straight 5 sounds nice, but i would still like to see a Straight 6 in the Colorado

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
but is the engine bay big enuff for a V8!! You gotta figure that the I-6 is longer then a small block, so maybe an I-5 is about the same size?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello,

I am a newbie here, and I have a quick question.

I was really looking forward to the new trucks coming out, but when I first saw their 4000lb towing rating I thought it was a misprint or else the capacity for the I-4. Then, in reading GMs releases, I see attention almost painfully steered from mentioning the truck's work capabilities to mention its higher points. Then payload/towing shortcomings are excused with the rationale that most compact truck owners don't use their trucks as work trucks. I think that it could be argued that the reason for this has been their lack of substance in the past that could have been addressed with a new more mid-sized vehicle.

I realize that while the I-5 has a strong 220hp, it is low on torque (at 225lb-ft). I'd be very concerned if the frame was unable to tow more than this amount. Is this what is holding back the GCWR?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Why can't this Colorado be avalable with a plain old Vortec 4800 V8? Trail Blazers have a V8 option so it can be done. The old S10 was a small, sporty truck that could work. This 5 cylinder lacks the torque, pure and simple. I would consider buying this truck if it had a more powerful engine. Turbo?, come on keep it simple. Why create something like that when you already have something good available??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts