GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
I dig that!

I think that truck bed innovations are really untapped..theres soo many possibilities. The only problem is, it's difficult to produce truck boxes that fit everyones specific needs, plus the cost, because it may be easier/cheaper for a buisiness just to go for aftermarket toolboxes. However things like this..what Ford is doing..and even the Ridgelines cooler under the floor of the bed is all pretty cool. I still wish someone would listen to me at GM and start making remote tailgate droppers. Being able to lower the tailgate from the keyfob would be pretty convenient.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
HoeyHimself said:
I dig that!

I think that truck bed innovations are really untapped..theres soo many possibilities. The only problem is, it's difficult to produce truck boxes that fit everyones specific needs
LOL. Maybe we just need a drop and swap setup sort of like dumpster bins.

·
Registered
5,888 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
69Firebird400 said:
For those who don't want to click on the PDF, here is what it looks like. Looks almost exactly like the Ford solution!

GM also has an "Astro Package" available for the Colorado and Canyon that supposedly captures all of the Astro's cargo area in a behind-the-cab box. I can't find a photo at the moment, but here's the link:
http://www.media.gm.com/us/fco/en/product_services/r_cars/r_c_commercial/r_c_06_FCO_colorado%20canyon%20astro%20series/07%20fco%20colorado%20canyon%20astro%20series.htm
So Chevy had it first, right on. But, just like the F-150, it looks ugly, and the extra handle looks terrible, but at least the gaps line up on the Colorado.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
If you're talking about the door panel being lower than the other panel on the side of the bed, it appears it is like that on the Colorado and F-150. Perhaps that's so the top of the door doesn't rub against a cap.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
igor said:
hm.. so GM did have it forst .. good for GM ...

apparently the Ford Tough Box will also be only available to fleets.

Igor
That's dumb, they should both be offered to the public, but then again, Idk how many people would want that for a nice run around truck or etc, it uglies it up.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
fenderbender said:
That's dumb, they should both be offered to the public, but then again, Idk how many people would want that for a nice run around truck or etc, it uglies it up.
al onbe has to do is talk to the fleet manager at your dealer - most contractors and people in the know do that already ...

this is not available to the public either .. I do wonder however why is public availability not desired on a solution like this.

Igor

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
GM also has an "Astro Package" available for the Colorado and Canyon that supposedly captures all of the Astro's cargo area in a behind-the-cab box. I can't find a photo at the moment, but here's the link

It sounds like it turns the Colorado/Canyon into something like a large sedan delivery type vehicle, someone needs to find a photo of this.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
igor said:
al onbe has to do is talk to the fleet manager at your dealer - most contractors and people in the know do that already ...

this is not available to the public either .. I do wonder however why is public availability not desired on a solution like this.

Igor
Yes, it should be offered to the public, but GM and Ford may feel that there mid boxes won't compete with the whole aftermarket segment.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
darndot said:
Ultimate1 you are the man. I still wouldn't want a nasty door on the side of the truck, but I could see how it would be handy as a work truck feature.
Thanks bro :tup::

paul8488 said:
That's cool! Seems like the Ford version goes all the way across... I wonder if GM has different versions for the Colorado... some with one large space, others with drawers like in the photo, one with hangers...?
The colorado's midbox storage solution also goes all the way across.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/03/09/you-can-get-a-tough-box-for-your-chevy-colorado-too/

It has been confirmed that Ford will be offering the "Tough Box" as an option on the F-150 as soon as this Spring, but what if you're not in the market for a Blue Oval with a bed? Don't worry, since it seems that there are companies perfectly willing to apply the same treatment to your General Motors pickup, specifically the Chevy Colorado / GMC Canyon. SVE Fleet is a company that will add what it calls a Mid-Box to your pickup. Essentially the same thing as Ford's "Tough Box", the Mid-Box features two hinged doors at the leading edge of the bed that open up to reveal a deep storage space or slide out drawers that can store tools. In fact, SVE Fleet can even add a Mid-Box to an F-150 if you really can't wait for the "Tough Box" to become available when the snow thaws.

Speaking of the "Tough Box", thanks to Mike Levine at Pickuptruck.com, we've learned a few more details on Ford's newest feature for the F-150. The Blue Oval has tapped 2nd stage manufacturer Decoma International to build the "Tough Box" option into existing F-150s that are shipped to them from the factory with a short bed on a long wheelbase. The "Tough Box" can also be outfitted in many ways for either storage of larger items or with slide-out trays for smaller tools. Rumor has it that the "Tough Box" came into being from a request by the fertilizer company that produces Scott's Miracle-Gro. Federal regulations demand they keep solid and liquid fertilizers separated during transport, so they were faced with either driving two separate trucks or finding one with separated compartments. In its quest to keep the F-150 atop the sales chart, Ford stepped up with a factory-backed solution.

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
MCGARRETT said:
It sounds like it turns the Colorado/Canyon into something like a large sedan delivery type vehicle, someone needs to find a photo of this.
Finally found the photo of the Canyon/Colorado with the Astro package:

Edit: Also the press release info about this body:
NEW AND IMPROVED ‘ASTRO BODY’ RETURNS TO GM FCO LINEUP

For commercial customers who loved the Chevrolet Astro and GMC Safari for their versatility and capability, GM has great news: the all-new Astro Body package on 2007 Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon pickup trucks improves on the original.

“Shortly after we discontinued Astro and Safari, a number of our commercial customers told us that the midsize vans filled a number of important needs. Many of these customers, for example, used Astro and Safari for trade applications, such as plumbing and HVAC. For these customers, Astro and Safari were the lifeblood of their business. With the Colorado and Canyon Astro Body, we took the best of Astro and Safari and made them even better,” said Tim Cavanaugh, marketing product manager for General Motors midsize trucks.

More cargo-carrying capability
Of primary importance to trade customers is cargo-carrying capability. Many of these customers equipped Astro and Safari with storage bins and partitions, turning these vehicles into rolling repair centers. The 2007 Astro package delivers more capacity than did the original midsize vans. Compared to the 2005 Astro and Safari Vans, the Astro Body is taller (78 inches vs. 75 inches), longer (82 inches vs. 80 inches) and can carry wider items (43.1 inches above the wheelhousings) safely and securely inside the vehicle. Colorado and Canyon Astro Body customers can also carry more cargo than they could in Astro and Safari vans (173.7 cubic feet vs. 170.4 cubic feet). Total payload capacity for Colorado and Canyon Astro Body is nearly that of the midsize vans (1,515 pounds vs. 1,647 pounds) once one considers that the midsize vans required a driver partition that weighed approximately 100 pounds.

Cargo loading and unloading is easily accomplished via either the 30-inch side door opening or the 48.45-inch double rear doors that swing out 180 degrees for greater efficiency. The side and rear doors are keyed the same as the vehicle cab for greater convenience.

Enhanced visibility
The Colorado and Canyon Astro package delivers enhanced safety and security by improving the driver’s field of vision alongside and behind the vehicle. Side-view visibility is enhanced by the new Velvac mirror. It uses a built-in convex mirror, extending visibility along the side of the vehicle significantly vs. the Astro Van. A camera that is mounted just below the Center High Mounted Stop Light (CHMSL) provides rearward visibility. With it, drivers can clearly see if an item as small as a wrench has been left on the rear bumper.

Integrated styling
“It was critical to us that the styling for the Astro Body mesh seamlessly with the Colorado and Canyon styling. We’ve incorporated a number of subtle styling enhancements to achieve this objective,” Cavanaugh explained.

The box portion of the Astro package features the same door handles, taillights and CHMSL as those on Colorado and Canyon models. The box is made of commercial-grade fiberglass for enhanced durability, and the interior features a durable floor and a 12-volt dome light. For warmer climates, vents are available.

A host of bin packages and ladder racks are available from longtime GM suppliers Adrian and Crown.

More powerful, more efficient engines
The standard engine on Colorado and Canyon Astro is the new 3.7L I-5, which delivers 242 horsepower and 242 lbs.-ft. of torque. It features variable valve technology (VVT), electronic throttle control and other features that contribute to high levels of operating efficiency and fuel economy. Balance shafts help ensure smooth operation of the engines, providing a higher level of refinement. The 3.7L is coupled with the Hydra-Matic 4L60 electronically controlled four-speed automatic. The Astro package is available on Colorado and Canyon Chassis Cab models and in 2WD and 4WD configurations.

The 2007 Colorado and Canyon Astro package joins the Colorado and Canyon Mid Box and Topper packages, as well as the Chevrolet Uplander Cargo Van. These vehicles were specifically designed based on customer input and are engineered to offer GM Fleet and Commercial customers unique models designed for their unique uses, ordered right from the factory and backed by GM warranties and service.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.