GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,867 Posts
Colorado V-8? Redline SKY? - General Motors wants more "Halo" Peformance Vehicles

Source: Newsday - 03/12/05

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Motor Matters by Herb Shuldiner

Article:

"General Motors is striving to develop more “halo” vehicles in an effort to put passion back into its products and curtail the use of incentives to move its cars. In the auto business, a halo vehicle is an icon — one that radiantly stands out in the lineup, much as the Corvette is a halo vehicle for Chevrolet

Mark Reuss, vice president of performance vehicles says that his aim to to create one performance halo vehicle for every GM division

Most of all he wants to achieve performance leadership over BMW and other German brands that are generally recognized as the best performing cars in the world.

“We want to lead. We don’t want to copy the imports,” Reuss says. “I don’t want parity with Mercedes AMG and BMW M Series vehicles. I want to beat them, because I never want to be in a position of having to explain why my car isn’t as good.”

He concedes GM is not competitive with those brands yet, but promises the new Cadillac STS V and XLR-V coming later this year will outperform the best that Germany has to offer.

Reuss notes that the Cadillac CTS-V already outperforms the BMW M3 and the Mercedes C-Class AMG, but adds that GM’s performance vehicle strategy will differ markedly from that of Mercedes.

The German carmaker offers an AMG version of every model except the M Class sport utility vehicle, BMW offers the M3, a more powerful version of its 3 Series line An M5 is due later this year and an M6 is to follow. There are no M Series models for BMW’s SUVs or its flagship 7 Series.

Reuss says that the CTS-V already has helped make Cadillac a cool brand again. Buyers of this high-performance vehicle earn an average income of $209,000, about $100,000 more than other Cadillac owners. They also are a decade younger than the average Cadillac buyer, and Reuss says 38 percent of CTS-V buyers had last owned a German import.

GM s other halo vehicles include the Chevrolet SSR, Cobalt SS Supercharged and TrailBlazer SS. Reuss is particularly happy with the Cobalt SS Supercharged because it will cost only about $21,000 and appeal to the tuner market.

He would like to do a performance version of the Chevy Colorado pickup. “I could put a V-8 in that" he says.

Reuss also would like to create a performance coupe for Chevrolet, but cautions that this doesn’t mean the Camaro will return. However, it’s clear- that Chevrolet needs an exciting performer that can compete with the
Ford Mustang.

Also on Reuss’ performance priority list is the Cadillac SRX-V SUV and a Redline version of the upcoming Saturn Sky roadster.

Reuss adds he would like to do a performance version of the Pontiac Solstice and a car for Buick so each of those brands would have at least one halo model. However, Reuss says there are no plans yet to produce a performance model for GMC.

Does the commg era of high fuel economy emphasis portend the end of performance vehicles? Not in Reuss’ view. He envisions doing performance versions of hybrids and even fuel-cell vehicles.

“We don’t have a current plan to set a land speed record on the Bonneville Flats for a fuel-cell vehicle. Preliminary discussions with Larry Burns, vice president of research and development and planning, about doing that iii the future have taken place," Reuss says."

·
Registered
522 Posts
Re: Colorado V-8? Redline SKY? - General Motors wants more "Halo" Peformance Vehicles

I'm not against "Halo" vehicles, but I gotta wonder how many "Halos" can one division support? What GM's brands need, more than Hi-Po models, are class-leading family sedans, minivans, and coupes built on new platforms and powertrains, with unquestionably good interior/exterior styling. Get these basics right, then worry about adding some "spice" to the soup.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Re: Colorado V-8? Redline SKY? - General Motors wants more "Halo" Peformance Vehicles

Perian said:
He concedes GM is not competitive with those brands yet, but promises the new Cadillac STS V and XLR-V coming later this year will outperform the best that Germany has to offer.
Only problem is that we already know the STS is .5+ slower to 60 than the M5 and E55, and we know the 540 outhandles the STS so where does the STS outpreform Germany's best?

·
Premium Member
5,146 Posts

I get giddy when I read news like this.
Reuss also would like to create a performance coupe for Chevrolet, but cautions that this doesn’t mean the Camaro will return. However, it’s clear- that Chevrolet needs an exciting performer that can compete with the
Ford Mustang.
In whatever way Chevy decides to do this, it has to be priced close to the Mustang. Tell me if I'm wrong but in the U.S., are you able to buy a Mustang GT for about 26-27K? Chevy needs to price it the same.

Two cars that I really like are the Mustang GT and the Monte Carlo SS s/c. In Canada, the GT is available for about 34k CDN dollars (how I would option mine out, if you want full loaded you'll pay more). The supercharged Monte SS in Canada is about 39k CDN. Five grand more for 60 less hp and fwd. Whatever coupe Chevy goes with needs to match the Mustang.

A V8 Colorado would be sweet. :D

·
Registered
2,566 Posts

I sure hope he gives Chevy a coupe, they need one badly! A V-8 Colorado sounds neat. He didn't say anything about the Alpha Sreies in Hummer.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts

All these Halo vehicles present an 'environmental' problem to the GM Performance Division. Yes, GM is catching up in the hybrid-age with the Silverado & Sierra Hybrids, but they need more than that. I'm thinking a hybrid-Halo vehicle that is not only efficient in speed but efficient in MPG ratings. As you can see, no one wants to be caught dead in a Hummer H1 Alpha...what does that get, 5 Miles to the Gallon? Especially in the age where actors have sunk their H2's and started driving a loaded Toyota Prius.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts

Performance versions of existing products would be helpful as long as these products don't climb too far up the price ladder. All too often, GM does a special vehicle only to price it out of reach of its target audience.

A Colorado V8 would be great. That little pickup handles quite well, and should be able to handle 300HP from the 5.3L, for example. But if the price gets out of reach, sales won't materialize and GM will blame it on low consumer interest.

·
Banned
8,781 Posts

Why not just come out with a regular-model V8 for the Colorado (like the Dakota)? Why give it fancy trim and a lowered suspension that makes it less practical for work use? If a V8 can fit, then put it in and price it competitively, so it can blow away ACTUAL COMPETITION, instead of creating yet another niche.

·
Registered
723 Posts

I'm all for the halo vehicles for every division,but GM needs to proritize a little bit, they need to focus on the bread and butter cars and trucks as well, and make them all best sellers. How they'll do it I don't know, but on the other hand a coupe for Chevy is a definite priority and a V8 Colorado should be an option for all Colorados so they can smoke Toyota Tacoma's, and Nissan Frontier's. A Saturn Sky Redline? No comment just build it along side the Pontiac Solstice GXP.

·
Registered
830 Posts

I saw the Sky yesterday at the Twin Cities Auto Show and I was very impressed. After seeing both the Sky and the Solstice, there's no doubt in my mind that the Sky will outsell the Solstice because it looks stand out so much. I also thought the Buick Velite was HOT. I was surprised to see the Chevy Nomad concept. It's too bad that they have no plans to produce it, because I would definately buy one.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts

Im glad to hear that he wants to have a halo for each brand... But thats just going to blur more lines. GM needs to get their bread and butter in the lead not only with class leading horsepower, but quality and reliability as well. Not to mention better interiors ;). A redline Sky would be nice, but a GXP Solstice would be nicer, or a clearly defined excitement division.... Priorities people priorities....

·
Registered
1,508 Posts

AdmiralViscen said:
Why not just come out with a regular-model V8 for the Colorado (like the Dakota)? Why give it fancy trim and a lowered suspension that makes it less practical for work use? If a V8 can fit, then put it in and price it competitively, so it can blow away ACTUAL COMPETITION, instead of creating yet another niche.
I'm with you exactly. I would be looking for a replacement for our 2001 Silverado reg cab, but need to scale down a bit, but want the crew cab, if we go with another truck. With a V8, it would make it that much easier for me to justify getting rid of our V8 Silverado. (not too keen on the 5 cylinder offered now in the Colorado). Hope this SS is just to get the V8 introduced, and than maybe it will be offered accross the Colorado model line.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts

Having class-leading products is only one part of sales. You have to actually get people into the showroom. One way of doing that is with effective advertising (ex: Cadillac, Ford F-150). Another way of doing it is with halo cars (ex: Mustang, Corvette).

I'm all sorts of interested in Reuss's idea of a performance Buick, though.

·
Registered
13,172 Posts

The whole 5 cylinder Colorado is a mistake imho...

People don't want 5 cylinder motors...especially in their trucks...

Throw a V8 and call it...

Give it DOD if need be to meet mileage requirements...

LS2 sounds like it would be a good way to go...

Colorado with a corvette motor sounds like it might be exciting to the truck potiential buyers....

Why is there even a question that this is a good thing to create...?

I think GM should plan to pass that LS2 400hp bad @ss motor throughout its lineup...

Its not expensive to build, its small size and efficient use of fuel make this a path for success....

Just look at how "cool" cadillacs become with the LS6 CTS V...

·
Registered
1,251 Posts

“...
We want to lead. We don’t want to copy the imports,” Reuss says. “I don’t want parity with Mercedes AMG and BMW M Series vehicles. I want to beat them, because I never want to be in a position of having to explain why my car isn’t as good.”
YES, that's what I want to hear. Just Benchsmart the best in its category. And just focus on your designated competitor, and BEAT IT (Identity + Design + Engines + Ride).

Saab to Benchsmart Audi
Cadillac --- BMW
Opel --- VW or Peugeot
Chevy cars --- Toyota
Chevy + GMC trucks --Ford
Saturn ----> Honda
Pontiac ----> ???
Buick ----> ????

Benchsmart = Benchmark + Outsmart + Outperform

·
Registered
871 Posts
Re: Colorado V-8? Redline SKY? - General Motors wants more "Halo" Peformance Vehicle

Pleassee give Chevy a V8 coupe sometime soon :drive:

·
Registered
1,675 Posts

Pontiac ----> Nissan
Buick -----> Upper Toyota/Lower Lexus

·
Registered
828 Posts

Performance does not put fuel economy or emissions in any danger if its done by Saab way.
Speed can be also gained by using more expensive(lighter) materials.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts