GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recieved a letter from GM yesterday about a recall on all 2008 Colorados. It was to reprogram the AM/FM/CD player as it had a problem with the sensor. In some circumstances the CD reader keeps drawing battery power even after the CD player is off, regardless of the truck being on or off. This poses a problem as it can drain the battery if the truck is off causing it to die. I'm going to get mine in soon as it already is due for service.

Did anyone else who owns a Colorado or Canyon get this recall?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Nope....but I don't care, I already replaced mine with a DVD touchscreen unit. Of course mine isn't an '08 model.

EDIT: I must add that I love the look/color of your Colorado, any more pics of it? Have you joined http://coloradofans.com yet?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recieved a letter from GM yesterday about a recall on all 2008 Colorados. It was to reprogram the AM/FM/CD player as it had a problem with the sensor. In some circumstances the CD reader keeps drawing battery power even after the CD player is off, regardless of the truck being on or off. This poses a problem as it can drain the battery if the truck is off causing it to die. I'm going to get mine in soon as it already is due for service.

yes , I received the a letter about the battery draining caused by the radio/CD player for my 2008 Colorado, I called the dealer to ask if there was anything I could do before i brought it in. They had no advice but to bring it in as soon as possible. The condition described in the letter was pretty specific, ejection of a CD and reinserting within 25 seconds?

·
Banned
6,921 Posts
OT slightly -
What is your problem?
Why do you people buy Colorados and Canyons?
Haven't you been around the internet long enough?
Don't you understand that you are not supposed to be happy with GM small trucks?
Even if they do have fully boxed frames, all-aluminum VVT DOHC engines, and 100K service life intervals with air conditioning standard?

And now this major safety recall on top of all that.
When will people learn?

·
Registered
885 Posts

OMG...the CD player may draw battery power??? What pieces of junk. I mean, those trucks that catch fire (Ford cruise control) and have brake problems (early Titans), destroy struts on mild off-road adventures (Ridge) and rust out frames, feature automatic cruise control acceleration and blow camshafts (Yo-Yo-Yota) are obviously so much better...

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
It's hilarious that a Chevy recall thread has turned into pointing out other guys problems! ;) It's hard for me not to mention Piston Slap and Steering Shaft problems....but I won't. :D

baby-vortec....all is good. It's a minor problem really, and hopefully the dealer will fix it quick for you.

·
Banned
6,921 Posts
It's hilarious that a Chevy recall thread has turned into pointing out other guys problems! ;) It's hard for me not to mention Piston Slap and Steering Shaft problems....but I won't. :D

baby-vortec....all is good. It's a minor problem really, and hopefully the dealer will fix it quick for you.
Yeah.
Exactly.
This

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...+f150+on+fire&ei=twNrSMuyEYTmrQPJ5u2ODw&hl=en

is so much better than this

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...y+piston+slap&ei=HgRrSKnxEJaYrAOjyuisDw&hl=en

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
If my engine made that much noise, and the dealership wouldn't do anything about.........I'd convert to Ford Cruise Control in the hope the whole thing would go up in flames! :lmao:

·
Banned
6,921 Posts
If my engine made that much noise, and the dealership wouldn't do anything about.........I'd convert to Ford Cruise Control in the hope the whole thing would go up in flames! :lmao:
Just buy a Ford first and you don't need to worry about it going up in flames.
It will.
Happily.
Just sitting there.
:p:

·
Registered
885 Posts

Well, since most everyone loves to rag on the Colorado (GMT355 twins), figured I'd throw that out there since this is a 'major' problem on these trucks, figured I'd pile on.

So, you mention a good point. Even the GMT800's have had serious problems with the GMT355's most serious recall being what? A CD player issue?

My point was that everyone likes to rag on these trucks but there really isn't much wrong with them. Sure, they could be better, but as far as a truck goes, they're decent.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OMG...the CD player may draw battery power??? What pieces of junk. I mean, those trucks that catch fire (Ford cruise control) and have brake problems (early Titans), destroy struts on mild off-road adventures (Ridge) and rust out frames, feature automatic cruise control acceleration and blow camshafts (Yo-Yo-Yota) are obviously so much better...
My point in posting this was not to rag on the 355s for being inferior to all the others but rather to find out if anybody recieved the same letter I did for this recall. I know it is minor. I don't even use the CD player much so I really am not worried. I'm so not worried that I haven't worked out a time to run it to the dealership to get it fixed. But with my truck having 4500 miles on it with no service, it will get fixed soon along with the service if nothing else.

As you said, the 355s are not roses. They have their flaws just like everything does. To name a one, prominent body vibrations at road speeds with the short wheel base of the reg cab. But, as you said, for a truck they are great, as I didn't buy the truck for the ride. If I wanted ride I wouldn't have bought a truck based Z85 suspension Colorado, and got a Cobalt or something instead. What it all comes down to is it is a truck, and given that, its a solid product. Far from what all the haters make it out to be like. My next truck will be another Colorado/Canyon:yup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
My point in posting this was not to rag on the 355s for being inferior to all the others but rather to find out if anybody recieved the same letter I did for this recall. I know it is minor. I don't even use the CD player much so I really am not worried. I'm so not worried that I haven't worked out a time to run it to the dealership to get it fixed. But with my truck having 4500 miles on it with no service, it will get fixed soon along with the service if nothing else.

As you said, the 355s are not roses. They have their flaws just like everything does. To name a one, prominent body vibrations at road speeds with the short wheel base of the reg cab. But, as you said, for a truck they are great, as I didn't buy the truck for the ride. If I wanted ride I wouldn't have bought a truck based Z85 suspension Colorado, and got a Cobalt or something instead. What it all comes down to is it is a truck, and given that, its a solid product. Far from what all the haters make it out to be like. My next truck will be another Colorado/Canyon:yup:
I agree completely, I am very satisfied with my Colorado. this recall is a very minor item. I am interested in learning if there is an alternative way to prevent the problem from occuring.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got my Colorado in November 2007 - a month later I hit the brakes when someone pulled out in front of me on a ice covered road ( good move ) the ABS kicked in, I never heard ABS make a noise like that. I had a 95 Chevy short bed Z71 for 13 years, the ABS never sounded that bad. Anyway the next morning, the battery was dead, had a ABS fault message. The battery charged up fine, the Service guy said nothing was wrong, maybe I left the key turned on... good grief - I'm almost 50, and I don't leave the key in the ignition.
Anyway this morning, the battery was dead again, I didn't drive it yesterday, but I did have a CD in the player. It charged up in no time again. I called service and I'm dropping it off in a few days and get the player looked at- we'll see if stops the dead battery problem. Other than that, I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I got my Colorado in November 2007 - a month later I hit the brakes when someone pulled out in front of me on a ice covered road ( good move ) the ABS kicked in, I never heard ABS make a noise like that. I had a 95 Chevy short bed Z71 for 13 years, the ABS never sounded that bad. Anyway the next morning, the battery was dead, had a ABS fault message. The battery charged up fine, the Service guy said nothing was wrong, maybe I left the key turned on... good grief - I'm almost 50, and I don't leave the key in the ignition.
Anyway this morning, the battery was dead again, I didn't drive it yesterday, but I did have a CD in the player. It charged up in no time again. I called service and I'm dropping it off in a few days and get the player looked at- we'll see if stops the dead battery problem. Other than that, I'm very happy with it.

Don't worry the ABS can be noticeable, although mine isn't horribly loud. You have a bum battery. When I picked up my new '07, they washed it and replaced the battery before I took it off the lot. It can happen, just have them replace it under warranty and you should be ok. This is my second Canyon, and I love these trucks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have received a recall for a battery drain and reprogram the radio. In fact the battery in my truck has run down twice. When I went in to set up a time for this recall, I mentioned that my battery has gone dead twice since I purchased the vehicle last month. The technician reported this is why they are recalling this truck to reprogram the raido.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts