GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was 4 degrees F when I fired up the trusty Soul today. The MPG meter was showing 27.0 and it typically goes up or down fairly slowly, even with just 30-40 miles on the tank. For instance, at about fitty degrees I'll have to sit for a minute or two before the MPG readout drops by .1.

Today it started dropping immediately. By the time I was in gear and rolling, about 10 seconds, it had dropped by about .5. I took a cruise through the grounds of our 'partments and that dropped it another .5 or so.
Getting out on the road Dropped me to 25.5 by the time I was a couple of hundred yards up the road.

Very atypical behavior for the MPG meter. I just had an O&F and considered syn but I decided to wait until I have about 8000 on the car.

Cold cold oil makes for more friction, more gas burned, more everything less efficient. Waiting on summer...:drive:

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
Bigger engines get worse mpg than smaller engines, all things being equal.

Your engine was significantly bigger at those temps than in summer.

Swept volume by the pistons is a very inaccurate measure of an engine. The real measure is how many mole of oxygen can flow through it per combustion cycle. Cold dense air means more air and that means more oxygen. That is why engines make more power in cold dense air than in hot thin air... Hope you enjoyed the increased power of that monster... :D

;)

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Winter is one of the downsides of diesels - there's insufficient waste heat to warm things up - you have to get in and just drive, but fortunately many cars designed for use with diesels incorporate Ceramic PTC 12v heaters in their cabin HVAC system.

On the other hand, more expensive SUVs have the option of diesel-fired cabin heaters which can be operated by remote control - in very cold climates these will be standard.

·
Registered
21,344 Posts
It was 4 degrees F when I fired up the trusty Soul today. The MPG meter was showing 27.0 and it typically goes up or down fairly slowly, even with just 30-40 miles on the tank. For instance, at about fitty degrees I'll have to sit for a minute or two before the MPG readout drops by .1.

Today it started dropping immediately. By the time I was in gear and rolling, about 10 seconds, it had dropped by about .5. I took a cruise through the grounds of our 'partments and that dropped it another .5 or so.
Getting out on the road Dropped me to 25.5 by the time I was a couple of hundred yards up the road.

Very atypical behavior for the MPG meter. I just had an O&F and considered syn but I decided to wait until I have about 8000 on the car.

Cold cold oil makes for more friction, more gas burned, more everything less efficient. Waiting on summer...:drive:

Look here, lemme, splain-you sumptin, gas is cheap, we gots so much dino-juice, we've run out of places to put it, just leave your car(s) idle all night, not only will they be toasty warm in the am, it helps keep the snow off the drive too.

(Disclaimer; as long as you are not parking in a garage).

Speaking of Midwest, how's the house-hunt going? PM me whatever you care not to share publically.

·
Premium Member
36,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Look here, lemme, splain-you sumptin, gas is cheap, we gots so much dino-juice, we've run out of places to put it, just leave your car(s) idle all night, not only will they be toasty warm in the am, it helps keep the snow off the drive too.

(Disclaimer; as long as you are not parking in a garage).

Speaking of Midwest, how's the house-hunt going? PM me whatever you care not to share publically.
Good ideee, Ed! From now on I'll just start the car at midnight. It should be at optemp by 10 or so! And with that car running, it will contribute a bit to globaloney warming and maybe break this spell of zero below zero temps we've been having! :drive:

Reactions: Ed753

·
Registered
21,344 Posts
Good ideee, Ed! From now on I'll just start the car at midnight. It should be at optemp by 10 or so! And with that car running, it will contribute a bit to globaloney warming and maybe break this spell of zero below zero temps we've been having! :drive:
I just looked at my Fuelly numbers, I'm down about 2 MPG's and that is pre-super-cold spell, love that remote start! :D

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Winter is one of the downsides of diesels - there's insufficient waste heat to warm things up - you have to get in and just drive, but fortunately many cars designed for use with diesels incorporate Ceramic PTC 12v heaters in their cabin HVAC system.

On the other hand, more expensive SUVs have the option of diesel-fired cabin heaters which can be operated by remote control - in very cold climates these will be standard.
lovely options in "jolly" England BUT they do NOT offer ANY OF those here in the fridged land we call Canada where to get UP TO ZERO F is not common all winter
Mercades and RAM offer dealer option Diesel Engine pre-heaters from "Espar" but no Electric/Diesel cab heaters

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
lovely options in "jolly" England BUT they do NOT offer ANY OF those here in the fridged land we call Canada where to get UP TO ZERO F is not common all winter
Mercades and RAM offer dealer option Diesel Engine pre-heaters from "Espar" but no Electric/Diesel cab heaters
Diesel cabin heaters are standard on Land Rovers and larger Fords sold in Scandinavia, optional in the UK. I guess on gasoline-engined vehicles it's difficult to have dual fuel and probably not safe anyway in the presence of gasoline.

12v Ceramic PTC heaters are standard on Land Rovers and Hyundai/Kia SUVs for the UK, I can't believe they de-spec them for Canada.

·
Premium Member
36,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My 99 Golf TDi never had heat issues.

·
Premium Member
6,311 Posts
You should try a HD truck in the teens. It takes a LONG time for the diffs/transfer case, etc to heat up. You can literally feel the drag on the drivetrain until the gear lube gets warmed up.

Here we also deal with crappy winter gas. You automatically lose 1-2mpg just from that. Oxygenated fuel is the biggest farce to ever exist. Woohoo !!!! Less pollutants, but use a lot more fuel, so same or more pollutants. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Diesel cabin heaters are standard on Land Rovers and larger Fords sold in Scandinavia, optional in the UK. I guess on gasoline-engined vehicles it's difficult to have dual fuel and probably not safe anyway in the presence of gasoline.

12v Ceramic PTC heaters are standard on Land Rovers and Hyundai/Kia SUVs for the UK, I can't believe they de-spec them for Canada.
Espar sells a Petrol powered D2 airtronic cabin heater and they are a primary maker for the AUX heaters in Ford transit / MB sprinter and VW products + others

Ford has them for Canada. Every Super Duty Diesel We sell has them, Every Ecoboost Escape as well.
I did NOT know FORD was offering them over here in Canada and appears to be Borg-Warner part

1 - 13 of 13 Posts