GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

After having seen the Code 130R, something didn't sit quite right with me. This little 3-box car seemed to have a greenhouse that was just too upright. After examining the design a little further, I concluded that the body of this concept wasn't meant to be a coupe at all, instead, it was destined to be a Shooting Brake. As somebody mentioned in the NAIAS thread, this would make a fantastic successor to the Nomad. Enter a modern-day Nomad. I won't lie, I have a love affair with low-slung impractical hatch-type vehicles and wagons, so this little guy would be right up my alley. I'd probably prefer something a little more powerful than the 150 ponies (My MINI was rated 163) so I'd wish for the Turbo 2.0 Ecotec.

Below are the before and after shots (courtesy Autoblog.com) I'm not the greatest at Photoshop, so the extent of the changes are just the stretching of the roof and enlarged headlights. Minimal changes, but ones that I feel make all the difference. I hope you like them!

Front 3/4

Side

-Chase

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Love it! At the price GM was quoting of around 20k, I'd be really interested in this. It would be a practical daily driver, a fun weekend car and even up to the occasional autocross. Plus it would be a logical bridge to Chevy's more expensive performance cars -- the Camaro and Corvette. Call it the Panther (the Camaro's original proposed name) or the Nova, and set me up with one in white with red interior and some kind of sunroof with the 1.4T (or the2.0T) and a six speed stick and I'd be a happy guy!

That said, I'm not the youth market GM is aiming for (I'm in my mid 40s). Sounds like they will go with what works for that demographic, which makes sense.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Great job Chaseabryant! Thanks so much. Hopefully GM sees this! :clap:

I would buy this in a heartbeat if it turned out to be a good handling RWD car with 6 sp manual. Very serious! Exactly what I've been holding out for.

·
Registered
327 Posts
A guy at work was commenting on this today. Said the one at NAIAS looked incomplete, half done, malproportioned.

The photoshop in this thread fixes all of that, IMO. HUGE improvement.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Much much better!

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
dang nice, i like those headlights......

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
A nice improvement to the original. It still has other flaws but making it a "nomad" is an improvement. And yes the suggested 150 HP four banger is pathetically inadequate GM!!!!

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everybody!

If I had more skill with Photoshop, I would have made a few more tweaks; I find that the fog light area is a little dull and generic, I would have loved to change their shape, perhaps adding a little more dimension to the bottom of the fascia a-la the 140S, or shaping similar to that of the BMW CS concept.

On the rear, the "diffuser" needs do be scrapped and re-designed; I do, however, like the hexagonal cues in the tail lights.

-Chase

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Very cool, though personally I would like to see the coupe AND Nomad versions... and also a convertible. Any one of those would be fairly small volume, so it only makes sense to add multiple variants to build up the volume a bit.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Night and day better than the actual concept. After seeing your chop, I realized the my problem with the face of the 130 has been the headlights, which you have fixed. Seeing the elongated greenhouse being made into a Nomad is awesome. If the concept actually looked like this chop, I may have picked this instead of the 140 in the poll in the other thread.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Question I'm wondering is if/why Chevy would risk introducing a vehicle (sizewise) that may cannibalize sales from an existing compact? FWD, Cruze is 181 vs RWD, Code 130R at 173 long (8inches). Especially if you consider Cruze getting great reviews and sales.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Question I'm wondering is if/why Chevy would risk introducing a vehicle (sizewise) that may cannibalize sales from an existing compact? FWD, Cruze is 181 vs RWD, Code 130R at 173 long (8inches). Especially if you consider Cruze getting great reviews and sales.
Cruze is also FWD and would likely have a lot more interior room than the RWD Code130R. I would suspect the Code130R would be much more of a 2+2; given it's upright stance, I'd guess it might have Fox Mustang-like rear seats -- decent for short trips, not too hard to get in and out of, but not something you'd want to travel across the country in.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cruze is also FWD and would likely have a lot more interior room than the RWD Code130R. I would suspect the Code130R would be much more of a 2+2; given it's upright stance, I'd guess it might have Fox Mustang-like rear seats -- decent for short trips, not too hard to get in and out of, but not something you'd want to travel across the country in.
On top of that, there is the fun to drive/sportiness factor that comes into play. I've driven my brother's Cruze on multiple occasions; and while I enjoyed the car quite a bit, I still find something lacking with it. It doesn't make me want to go out and drive it for no reason. I'm wondering if something like the 130R is going to take the place of a performance oriented Cruze.

-Chase

·
Registered
628 Posts
I haven't been on this site for a long time, good to see some funky stuff happening in the design section. I like the idea of the nomad, the original concept to me was too much of a 135i rip-off (although I still like it). I reckon it would look more Nomadish if you wrapped the side windows into the rear, and separated the windows at the B-Pillar like...

...but more modern and in the style you've done already (those are just old sketches I dug out).

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts