GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I want everyone reading this to do me a big favor: Take all of your past GM small-car experiences and throw them in a lake. Forget about the girl in high school with the cheetah-fur steering wheel cover on her Pontiac Sunfire (you've probably been trying for the past ten years). Ignore the utter garbage of the 80s, the unforgivable interiors of the 90s, and the distasteful stigma that has, as a result, carried on through this century. Don't even bother going back to read Motive's HHR SS review you ignored after brushing the poor thing off as ugly and pointless despite the strong numbers it can put down. The new Cobalt SS is even better — in fact, it may be the best small car Chevrolet has ever built.
http://www.motivemag.com/pub/feature/first_steer/Motive_First_Drive_2008_Chevrolet_Cobalt_SS.shtml

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I read the article, and the new Cobalt SS sounds very desireable. It certaainly reminds me of the Sunbird I once owned, but has many very significant improvements, in addition to the expected air bags, and so forth of modern cars. However, the following statement by them is way out of line:
Ignore the utter garbage of the 80s
The 1984 J2000 Sunbird LE four door with the turbo package and 4 speed I had was far from garbage. I had good looks (much better than subsequent versions), handled well, was quick (for the time), and achieved excellent fuel economy. The engine was still running strong and it still looked excellent when I included it in a deal for a house at 160,000 miles in 1994.

My Sunbird cost about $23,000 in today's money. The new Cobalt SS also costs $23,000, but it is faster, probably handles better, has better seats, has better brakes, has air bags, has stability control,a nd has a structure designed to do well in current wreck tests. That represents tremendous improvement in value for the dollar by GM!

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Wow... that was a great review. I'm sort of surprised there was no mention of the lackluster interior or lack of this or that.

Can't wait to drive one.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Wow, I'm glad to see that the Cobalt in it's advanced age, is getting such good reviews. I read on Wired's Autopia that the Cobalt has had a 50% increase in sales recently. How come I never see those statistics on other sites?

I'm not really the target market for this car (I'm 45), but maybe down the road this wouldn't be a bad little toy to keep in the garage. Or a Solsitce.

dream on...

·
Registered
535 Posts
Wow, I'm glad to see that the Cobalt in it's advanced age, is getting such good reviews. I read on Wired's Autopia that the Cobalt has had a 50% increase in sales recently. How come I never see those statistics on other sites?
It's a car that definitely grows on you. When it came out, it seemed like a bit of a dud for some reason. Now, it seems pretty desirable. And the coupe is one of the best-looking small cars on the market imo.

Maybe it's higher gas-prices that make it seem like a better car.

I wonder what would have happened if GM kept the "Cavalier" name. Sometimes I think they should have.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
respect. it beat the cayman s on the nurburgring:eek:

they need a delete option for those seats and wheels/tires, so you can put real racing seats in. contisports are good, but there are better, cheaper tires out there (and lighter wheels). i don't understand the *optional* lsd.

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
just got back from my GF's formal at the Roostertail in DEEEETROIT:D it was a blast! Going to bed, got an interview in the morning.

This and MT were slightly shady / ****ty reviews...will explain later.

CobaltSS

·
Registered
269 Posts
It's a car that definitely grows on you. When it came out, it seemed like a bit of a dud for some reason. Now, it seems pretty desirable. And the coupe is one of the best-looking small cars on the market imo.

Maybe it's higher gas-prices that make it seem like a better car.

I wonder what would have happened if GM kept the "Cavalier" name. Sometimes I think they should have.
I attended the KC International Auto Show Wed evening. A lot of car mags have ragged on GM interiors for a lot of years. From my perspective GM had the best interiors overall at the Auto show, certainly upstaging Toyota, Ford, Chrysler, and Nissan in Model to model comparisons. Gm had fine looking vehicles, including the Cobalt, with fine looking interiors, including the Cobalt

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
just got back from my GF's formal at the Roostertail in DEEEETROIT:D it was a blast! Going to bed, got an interview in the morning.

This and MT were slightly shady / ****ty reviews...will explain later.

CobaltSS
I actually thought it was a pretty good review. I haven't read the MT review yet. Good luck w/your interview!

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
The new Cobalt SS is even better — in fact, it may be the best small car Chevrolet has ever built.
http://www.motivemag.com/pub/feature/first_steer/Motive_First_Drive_2008_Chevrolet_Cobalt_SS.shtml
The problem is...without an automatic transmission (even if it requires a detuned engine like the HHR SS), how many people will actually go out of their way to even check it out at the dealership, let alone test drive one to notice the new seats, the suspension tweaks...etc?

The Automatic will fit, GM really needs to offer one in this package. They can throw a bone to the "A sports car should only come with a manual transmission" crowd by having the manual have a few more Horsepower, but if this car is really so drivable and sporty and balanced feel...let more consumers see that.

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
The new Cobalt SS is even better — in fact, it may be the best small car Chevrolet has ever ]
Isn't that like saying car @@@@ is the most exiting car in Toyota's lineup. Talk about faint praise. I think it is a very sweet little car though but even though I hate this saying. It is what it is. A cheap econobox with a nice interior and a great powertrain.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I attended the KC International Auto Show Wed evening. A lot of car mags have ragged on GM interiors for a lot of years. From my perspective GM had the best interiors overall at the Auto show, certainly upstaging Toyota, Ford, Chrysler, and Nissan in Model to model comparisons. Gm had fine looking vehicles, including the Cobalt, with fine looking interiors, including the Cobalt
That's been my experience with most of the cars that I see at the shows. The interiors in any GM car usually compare well with any other makers.

I've often thought that this is a lame kind of critcism, i.e., since we can't really find anything else to complain about, we'll complain about something that isn't easy to quantify. To each their own in regards to that argument, but I think if people didn't know what they were in, they wouldn't know what they were in, understand? There are very few cars with huge ergonomic mistakes anymore. It seems like it's mostly a matter of taste.

Anyway, I'm still glad to see that my hometown boys (and gals) in Lordstown are pumping out a world class hot rod! Good news, definitely good news.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Give me a 4-door GXP G5 (id even settle for a 4-door SS Cobalt) and id have my new daily driver.
IMO, GM is missing the boat with guys in their mid 20's who started families young but still want a bit of a 'tuner' car. Insurance is still a tad high on a coupe for anyone under 25 (not to mention the need for easy back-seat access for child seats, etc). GM hit the nail on the head with the ION redline Quad Coupe.
I think not having a FI 4 door causes some buyers to look at SRT4, Mazdaspeed3, EVO's, WRX's and GOLFs...

...give me a damn Turbo sedan please Bob!

·
Registered
251 Posts
The problem is...without an automatic transmission (even if it requires a detuned engine like the HHR SS), how many people will actually go out of their way to even check it out at the dealership, let alone test drive one to notice the new seats, the suspension tweaks...etc?

The Automatic will fit, GM really needs to offer one in this package. They can throw a bone to the "A sports car should only come with a manual transmission" crowd by having the manual have a few more Horsepower, but if this car is really so drivable and sporty and balanced feel...let more consumers see that.
The point is that the people who will want one of these usually want to shift their own gears

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
The point is that the people who will want one of these usually want to shift their own gears
I totally disagree. In the late 90's and early 2000's, you could have said people who want a Z28 or Trans Am would want to shift gears...those who want automatics are more likely to get the V6 models or just not get that kind of car...yet Automatic LS1 and LT1's drastically ousold manual models, even with the disadvantage of being 4 speeds compared to the manual 6 speeds.

The current HHR SS's I see on the lots are mostly automatics (and I have seen a few sold in my area).

The same argument applies to the Corvette as does the F-bodies I made above.

The only argument this doesn't apply to is the import tuners, but there is a very good reason for this...cars like the Civic, the old Celica GTS's, etc, just about HAD to have a manual for their sporty model..because the engines put in there had to be revved so high, a 4 speed auto (which was just about all that was available at the onset of the 4 cylinder tuner popularity rise) wouldn't work. But even now that is reversing. The truly sport compact models by the imports are going to automatic, or manumatic type transmissions. If the engine has the torque for it..or if more gears are offered in an automatic, automatics work just as well...and in some cases better than manuals....and now that those things are avaialbe for sporty 4 cylinder compacts, other manufacturers HAVE moved toward offering them. It has nothing to do with "people who want that type of car want to shift gears"...that was just the easy explanation for it. Here are just some examples...and this list is growing:

-New Suburu WRX, 4 speed automatic offered (the engine now has the torque for it)
-New Mitsubishi Lancer Evo, 6 speed dual clutch automatic (engine with about 200lbs/ft torque)
-New Mitsubishi eclipse, 5 speed auto much more popular in the automatic than the manual is in terms of sales
-Mini Cooper S, 6 speed auto available
-New 2009 Corrola and matrix XRS, 5 speed auto avaialable
-Volkswagon GTI, Clutchless manual with auto mode available

it is mostly the domestic brands that are once again late to the game bringing automatics to their small, sporty cars...the imports have taken the lead in this area. Many of the cars listed above have the automatic version outsell the manual version. It seems that GM is also holding onto that notion of "those who want this car will want to shift gears themself", while some of their competitors are mating automatics or cluthless manuals to their under $30,000 (and sometimes even between $20-$25k) compact cars and selling them.

I would be willing to bet..that if an automatic were offered in a couple and sedan Cobalt SS, that in terms of sales it would match or exceed the manual versions. The people who would buy the automatics may not be lurking on these (or other) message forums on the web...but history has shown us in the examples above...you get sales from automatics...ESPECIALLY if you give people a sporty car without a huge drop in fuel economy.
Sorry for the rant, but I had to get it out.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Give me a 4-door GXP G5 (id even settle for a 4-door SS Cobalt) and id have my new daily driver.
IMO, GM is missing the boat with guys in their mid 20's who started families young but still want a bit of a 'tuner' car. Insurance is still a tad high on a coupe for anyone under 25 (not to mention the need for easy back-seat access for child seats, etc). GM hit the nail on the head with the ION redline Quad Coupe.
I think not having a FI 4 door causes some buyers to look at SRT4, Mazdaspeed3, EVO's, WRX's and GOLFs...

...give me a damn Turbo sedan please Bob!
The 4-door is coming later this year

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I don't know why everyone seems to keep ragging on GM for not putting a slush box in the SS. You can't get one in the MS3, but no one jumps down Mazda's throat.
Because the Japanese are immune to criticism. If only editorials could be a little more patriotic like the Japanese people are to their country, maybe the Americans would sell more cars in this country.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.