GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Here's some pictures from another web site. There is a nice picture of the 4 door from the rear.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/d/50184...w_detail?skip=0

I think it looks good. The interior looks very promising. The exterior looks much better than I expected. I hope this turns out to be a good car for Chevrolet. I'm disappointed by the lack of a independant rear end, but that's it so far.

Mark

·
Registered
367 Posts
Now that's the interior the Cavalier should have had. Anyways I am liking what I am seeing so far. But why a semi independent rear suspension? I would understand for the base but I wish the SS Supercharged had a 4 wheel independent susp and a 6 spd Manual.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Is it me or is the interior on the Cobalt a little better to the eye than the Malibu?......Also why in the world can you get a Cobalt with a 2.4L that has 170hp but the Malibu only has a 2.2L with 140hp?.......What in the hell is GM thinking?.....Have they ever checked the 4-cyl in the Accord and Camry......They better hurry up and fix that problem very quckly and for that matter I'm sure they can get another 15-20HP out of that 3.5 V6! They have to start getting competitive

·
Registered
954 Posts
Originally posted by momolos@Dec 28 2003, 11:10 PM
Is it me or is the interior on the Cobalt a little better to the eye than the Malibu?......Also why in the world can you get a Cobalt with a 2.4L that has 170hp but the Malibu only has a 2.2L with 140hp?.......What in the hell is GM thinking?.....Have they ever checked the 4-cyl in the Accord and Camry......They better hurry up and fix that problem very quckly and for that matter I'm sure they can get another 15-20HP out of that 3.5 V6! They have to start getting competitive
Keep in mind the Cobalt and it's 2.4L I4 won't be available til fall '04. GM has plenty of time to upgrade the Malibu to a 2.4L if they want to.

·
Registered
133 Posts
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forum/index.ph...?showtopic=1134

I think that we've found the mystery car from last April... could it be the SS? Check out the rims.

I like the new coupe and the use of round tails. They bring up thoughts of Vette styling / heritage and save the tuner crowd from having to invest in "Altezza" style tails. :rolleyes:

I will remain optimistic for the SS to be class leading but anticipate something along the lines of 185-200hp. Not quite Mitsu EVO or Neon SRT numbers. Has Chevy not thought about the value in creating a sport compact "halo" car?... something more achievable to buyers than the Blue Angel? Anyway, food for thought.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Does anybody know why exactly they are boosting the 2.0L instead of the 2.4L??? I mean, with the 2.2L making 140hp and the 2.4L making 170hp, my assumption would be that the 2.0L only makes around 110hp w/o boost. It just doesn't make sense why they would drop the engine down that much just to boost it with the SC. Maybe it's just GM being GM, but to me I would think you'd just go ahead and boost the 2.4L and make it more of a challenger to the other high-hp compacts out there.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Yeah, a blower on the 2.4 would have been nice to see.
Another thing would have been the round tail lights put
onto the sedan. The sedan's rear is the only thing that
I do not like -- but the rear of the coupe is really nice!

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
another question as to the SS model is why are they supercharging the 2.0, when the 2.2 is getting blown(hahaha!) in the Ion? Why change crap around? I think a turbo would be better, but whatever floats thier boat.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Dec 30 2003, 01:58 PM
another question as to the SS model is why are they supercharging the 2.0, when the 2.2 is getting blown(hahaha!) in the Ion?  Why change crap around?  I think a turbo would be better, but whatever floats thier boat.
The Ion Red Line is getting the same 2.0L boosted, not the 2.2L.

Although, Satur's website says it's supercharged and intercooled.

Ion Red Line

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I like this car a lot. BUT! I also see some pinhead suits here that do not get it. EARTH TO CHEVY SUITS. The SS TURBO VERSION must be equal to or better than the current Dodge SRT or whatever Japan is doing. The SRT is going to be even better when Dodge goes to the Lancer platform. The stock Cobalt is fine but don't screw up the SS version.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Originally posted by yoblues@Dec 30 2003, 02:44 PM
I like this car a lot. BUT! I also see some pinhead suits here that do not get it. EARTH TO CHEVY SUITS. The SS TURBO VERSION must be equal to or better than the current Dodge SRT or whatever Japan is doing. The SRT is going to be even better when Dodge goes to the Lancer platform. The stock Cobalt is fine but don't screw up the SS version.
GM doesn't need a version to compete with the SRT-4 , it's called the aftermarket.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hear This. It's a call to arms. How much longer can we not have a domestic tuner car able to compete with whats out there. Since the early 90's there have been Supras and RX-7's and Eclipses, and now STi's and Evo's. We got the SRT-4, very impressive, especialy with it's stage 1 turbo upgrade. More recently we have the new GTO. Styling on the GTO could be a bit more lively but it's got the power. So wuts that? 2 cars us domestic boys can brag about, compared to all the Civic's and RSX's etc.... With this Cobalt SS Supercharged Coupe GM presents a beautiful platform inwhich to add on body kits, s/c upgrades, rims etc... We will have a new competitor in te field. WE got the SRT-4, GTO, Couger (not impressive), Ion Redline, and soon to be Cobalt Coupe and G6 Coupe from Pontiac. Thats not bad, lets put some more out there. Domestic Power Baby!!!!! Bring back the box Nova... Please.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by 63NovaSS350@Jan 15 2004, 04:50 AM
Hear This. It's a call to arms. How much longer can we not have a domestic tuner car able to compete with whats out there. Since the early 90's there have been Supras and RX-7's and Eclipses, and now STi's and Evo's. We got the SRT-4, very impressive, especialy with it's stage 1 turbo upgrade. More recently we have the new GTO. Styling on the GTO could be a bit more lively but it's got the power. So wuts that? 2 cars us domestic boys can brag about, compared to all the Civic's and RSX's etc.... With this Cobalt SS Supercharged Coupe GM presents a beautiful platform inwhich to add on body kits, s/c upgrades, rims etc... We will have a new competitor in te field. WE got the SRT-4, GTO, Couger (not impressive), Ion Redline, and soon to be Cobalt Coupe and G6 Coupe from Pontiac. Thats not bad, lets put some more out there. Domestic Power Baby!!!!! Bring back the box Nova... Please.
you did not just include the words "civic" and "rsx" in that convo did you?

*takes deep breath*

They are the 2 farthest cars from sports anything. Moddifications does not count. Stock for stock, they are slow as crap, are a waste of time unless you have a good chunk of money to plop down to make it run 13's.

GM has real performance cars. Corvette and Z06, GTO, CTS-V, XLR, and All of the Holdens with the LS1 in them. I do not consider the Civic as a sports car. Anyone who does needs to have thier muffler bearings checked and rotated and blinker fluid changed before spring time... :rolleyes:

Now that we have that out of the way, the Cobalt SS and SRT4 I can consider sport compacts. They arent really sports cars in the sence that a sports car consists of RWD and actualy a sporty feel, not an econo box. The Civic Si is a poor attempt and now that the domestics are equaling honda and toyota's quality and feel, they are surpassing its power and styling in performance applications. Anyway, the Cobalt SS should come in one flavor, 220hp supercharged ecotec. 17's wrapped in 215's, LSD option, big brakes, and all the pep boys performance parts available to the owners. As much as I dont like the drivers, at least the money is going to GM so that they can make a super camaro that will blow that road hard, put away wet mustang. The key lies with ferrari...

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.