GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
;) It looks great as a replacement for the Cavalier, and in many ways it is superior looking to the new Malibu (especially the front end design). It is certainly far better than it's platform mate, the Saturn ION. I don't think that the interior design is world class, however. Since this continues to be a problem area for GM, why don't they hire the head interior designer from VW, Vauxhal/Opel, or Alfa? The Malibu has a better design for it's dashboard. Why not copy that, or any of the superior design from Vauxhal/Opel (both are GM units)? I certainly don't want to make this posting into an America vs. Japan, or Ford vs. GM discussion, but I am hesitant to give GM too much praise for something that they should have doing a long time ago. While the new Cobalt is competent, the competition continues to move on. Look at Mazda's site, and check out the new Mazda3. It is a small car, in Cobalt's class, and it's interior design and exterior design far outshine Chevy's similarly new entry. On Mazda's site they discuss how the design of the car was meant to be competitive with cars in a higher class, rather than chase other entry-level cars. It seems that GM was attempting (from a design standpoint) to only be better than Cavalier, Focus, and Neon, while not taking into account the worldwide view of the small car market. Premium small cars are a fast emerging segment (A3, Mercedes A Class, Smart, Mini, Golf/Jetta, WRX, EVO, Saab 9-2X, S40). Maybe because Chevrolet does not realistically market cars internationally, they do not have a grasp on what other companies are doing? Again, I'm not a Chevy/GM/America basher. I would love to see GM (Ford and Chrysler, also) make the best cars on the planet, and have to make no excuses for their quality, reliability, performance, or design. Cobalt is pretty darned close (at least from what I can see), but GM has got to take interiors much more seriously.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.