GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, i don't think i've read this anywhere here, but if this is a repost, too bad :D

anyway, on my daily routine of websurfing, i go to http://media.gm.com and read all of the recent press releases. so today, i'm reading, and they came out with some american heritage thing with speeches. so i downloaded the *.doc file, and this is what i read:

Lori Queen will unveil, for the first time ever, the Cobalt… our new premium small car, which will go head to head against ANY import in its class.  The Cobalt family will have four members, including a new supercharged tuner version that will help bring Chevy SS to a whole new generation of enthusiasts
i've bolded the most significant information. BTW, this is from the cowger speech.

http://media.gm.com/division/chevrolet/rev..._kit/index.html

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW, i urge everyone to read the other speeches. pretty dope stuff if i dont' say so myself.

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
:lol: The Cobalt will definitely NOT be a halo vehicle. It will come in four trims with the highest being a performance tuned turbo SS, yes. Halo: NO. That is the Corvette's Job.

·
Registered
190 Posts
While the Corvette itself isn't a Halo vehicle, the so called "Blue Devil" 427 Corvette would be a Halo vehicle should it be produced. The Corvette is still readily available and appeals to a large amount of people. The purpose of a Halo vehicle is to appeal to a small amount of the market and is not usually as easy to acquire. Plus they usually don't last for very long, with the exception of a Viper. Their main job is to attract attention and bring in large numbers of people to look at them but purchase other vehicles so they can make a lot more money by selling those at high price/low volume and offer discounts and incentives to sell high volumes of the regular cars.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
www.media.gm.com

"New for 2005, the 2.4-liter Ecotec will have at least 170 horsepower and 170 foot-pounds of torque.This engine introduces variable valve timing to Ecotec.  This will deliver the acceleration and passing performance our customers expect, because 90 percent of its peak torque will be delivered between 2400 and 5600 rpm.
The bottom line will be more torque, more of the time, than any comparable four-cylinder on the market.

We dont stop there.  We also have a 2.0-liter Supercharged version in the works youll hear more about this one from Lori Queen in just a bit.
Our goal is to help increase Chevy?s appeal to the  tuner market and build off the popularity of front wheel drive drag racing, where Driver Champion Nelson Hoyos blew away the competition this year in his 1000-plus horsepower Ecotec Cavalier.
Today, Ecotec is becoming the new power in four-cylinders, following in the footsteps of its cousin, the Small Block V8.  Both share traits that make them ideal for performance variants  like simplicity, a lightweight yet robust design, smoothness and an efficient airflow."
http://media.gm.com/division/chevrolet/rev..._technology.doc

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Originally posted by simmonsmb@Dec 19 2003, 09:15 AM
While the Corvette itself isn't a Halo vehicle, the so called "Blue Devil" 427 Corvette would be a Halo vehicle should it be produced. The Corvette is still readily available and appeals to a large amount of people. The purpose of a Halo vehicle is to appeal to a small amount of the market and is not usually as easy to acquire. Plus they usually don't last for very long, with the exception of a Viper. Their main job is to attract attention and bring in large numbers of people to look at them but purchase other vehicles so they can make a lot more money by selling those at high price/low volume and offer discounts and incentives to sell high volumes of the regular cars.
Not necessarily, Halo vehicles are vehicles that appeal to EVERYONE, however they are out of the reach of the general public. They are meant to keep buyers at the certain brand and capture their interest on the showroom floor. Therefore giving them a goal to achieve. I guess one could consider the SSR a Halo vehicle as well. Not to mension both the vette and SSR both are limited production. They dont sell that many vehicles....

·
Registered
248 Posts
Personally, I'd consider the Corvette a type of halo vehicle. It was said in All Corvettes Are Red that "there's a little bit of Corvette in every Chevy." That the Corvette drew them into the showrooms, even if they drove out with something else. The Corvette was like the light in the Bug Zapper... :D

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by nightwave@Dec 19 2003, 10:18 PM
Personally, I'd consider the Corvette a type of halo vehicle. It was said in All Corvettes Are Red that "there's a little bit of Corvette in every Chevy." That the Corvette drew them into the showrooms, even if they drove out with something else. The Corvette was like the light in the Bug Zapper... :D
for some reason, I find it hard to belive that someone that just bought an Aveo was drawn in by the alure of the Vette.

Sounds good too me. Ive been waiting for a VVt ecotec motor. I wana know why the displacement was raised to 2.4 in the vvt model? Will there be a choise of vvt on other ecotec engines? Will this turbo 2.0 be vvt? I said the same thing about the ecotec is like the sbc. The ecotec doesnt have nearly the amount of respect and parts for it as the sbc does, but Im sure that after 50 years of ecotec they will have a good rep. What do you think the 4 models will be? One is an SS model. Maybe a 2/4/5 door?

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
The traditional meaning of "Halo Vehicle" has been for the brand in general. But I can see how the Dodge SRT-4 would be a "halo car" for all Dodge Neons, improving the image of even the base stripper Neon with its halo effect.

·
Registered
685 Posts
You know, that is a good point and, IMO, that is even MORE valid. Buying a Chevette because you like the Corvette is a farse, however, I do see more 2.5RS impreza's now that the WRX is out. A 300+HP Cobalt that was only avail. in VERY limited numbers would make an awesome halo for Cobalts, even if GM lost there asses on them. Then the customer is getting a tangible portion of the vehicle they actually aspire to own.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts